Street Fighter (SFIV, SSFIV, HDR)

Associate
As a non-competitive fighting game it's pretty decent.
Given that it's the fighting game with the largest tournament scene, I'd say it's likely a decent competitive fighter, too.

I think the barrier for entry to SF5 compared to earlier titles is lower; it's more forgiving with input and the training options are much improved (especially in AE). I'm sure some would see this as a negative, but being able to nail 1-frame links 100% of the time doesn't always make the strongest player.
The game emphasises different aspects than previous incarnations, for sure; SF5 is pressure heavy, with less of a neutral game, but they seem to be making changes to bring the neutral back with AE and season 3.

The online mode is great, and the cross-platform play makes the population large enough to get instant games at any time of day. The netcode is not without fault, but I get many more good matches than bad ones.

The DLC system isn't the best, admittedly; although, AE rolling up S1/S2 helps for any newcomers. You can buy characters with fight money (FM), and it is fairly easy to get enough for 2 characters (2 x 100k) still with minimal effort. I've bought the season passes when they've been released, spent c. 200k FM, and I'm sitting on ~600k FM to probably spend on stages and the new Extra Battle mode.
You really don't need to grind online mode for FM; in fact, winning a ranked match only gives you 50 (FIFTY!) FM, so it really isn't the way to go about getting FM.

Some of the AE character changes were suspect (Abigail did not need buffing...) but overall, it's fairly balanced; you can win with anyone if you know the matchups. I think it's a fun game, and, while I will undoubtedly buy the 30th Anniversary collection and be excited to play Alpha 3/3S online, I know I'll end up still mainly playing SF5.

Soldato
Given that it's the fighting game with the largest tournament scene, I'd say it's likely a decent competitive fighter, too.

I think the barrier for entry to SF5 compared to earlier titles is lower; it's more forgiving with input and the training options are much improved (especially in AE). I'm sure some would see this as a negative, but being able to nail 1-frame links 100% of the time doesn't always make the strongest player.
The game emphasises different aspects than previous incarnations, for sure; SF5 is pressure heavy, with less of a neutral game, but they seem to be making changes to bring the neutral back with AE and season 3.

The online mode is great, and the cross-platform play makes the population large enough to get instant games at any time of day. The netcode is not without fault, but I get many more good matches than bad ones.

The DLC system isn't the best, admittedly; although, AE rolling up S1/S2 helps for any newcomers. You can buy characters with fight money (FM), and it is fairly easy to get enough for 2 characters (2 x 100k) still with minimal effort. I've bought the season passes when they've been released, spent c. 200k FM, and I'm sitting on ~600k FM to probably spend on stages and the new Extra Battle mode.
You really don't need to grind online mode for FM; in fact, winning a ranked match only gives you 50 (FIFTY!) FM, so it really isn't the way to go about getting FM.

Some of the AE character changes were suspect (Abigail did not need buffing...) but overall, it's fairly balanced; you can win with anyone if you know the matchups. I think it's a fun game, and, while I will undoubtedly buy the 30th Anniversary collection and be excited to play Alpha 3/3S online, I know I'll end up still mainly playing SF5.

Agree and I've said all this before.

Associate
Agree and I've said all this before.
Yes, I've just read back and you speak a lot of sense.

It's easy to forget that SF4 had multiple paid updates (SF4 -> SSF4 -> SSF4:AE -> USF4) that killed the previous version when looking at player population. The SF5 DLC system of free updates and paid-for characters seems pro-consumer, in comparison!

Sadly, there will always be the crowd that insist you're not playing Street Fighter unless you're playing ST in an arcade in Akihabara.

That's not to say I don't miss things from previous versions: USF4 is great and has an amazing roster (but was the culmination of a further 6 years of development from SF4 -> USF4), 3S has the parry system and a number of interesting characters.

Soldato
Yes, I've just read back and you speak a lot of sense.

It's easy to forget that SF4 had multiple paid updates (SF4 -> SSF4 -> SSF4:AE -> USF4) that killed the previous version when looking at player population. The SF5 DLC system of free updates and paid-for characters seems pro-consumer, in comparison!

Sadly, there will always be the crowd that insist you're not playing Street Fighter unless you're playing ST in an arcade in Akihabara.

That's not to say I don't miss things from previous versions: USF4 is great and has an amazing roster (but was the culmination of a further 6 years of development from SF4 -> USF4), 3S has the parry system and a number of interesting characters.

No ones thinks that way, the FGC is a very inclusive scene

Soldato
No ones thinks that way, the FGC is a very inclusive scene

WHAAATTT??? I disagree massively. There are loads of inclusive people and communities, but 10 minutes on Twitter will show you how divided and exclusive the scene can be.

Smaller FGC scenes are more welcoming - the ARMS community in the UK are immense. I've been playing games with people who have gone to EVO Japan this week and they're happy to share loads of advice. Some of the SF Discords on the other hand are very exclusive, especially amongst US pros it seems.

There are people I know locally who turn their nose up at SFV and play most of their games on 3S arcade boards! And his point stands - look at the back lash at MenaRD winning over Tokido ("Japanese God").

Associate
My statement was obviously full of hyperbole, but the point still stands. If there wasn't an element of 'elitism' based on who's been playing longer, or, who played what game - why would the terms '09er, '14er etc be coined/used to describe when players started playing the franchise?

Full disclosure, I had hyper fighting on the SNES, numerous version on the PSX, OG SF4 - so, it's not that I'm salty about these things being aimed at myself, it's merely observation of the grimmer side of the FGC.

Soldato
WHAAATTT??? I disagree massively. There are loads of inclusive people and communities, but 10 minutes on Twitter will show you how divided and exclusive the scene can be.

Smaller FGC scenes are more welcoming - the ARMS community in the UK are immense. I've been playing games with people who have gone to EVO Japan this week and they're happy to share loads of advice. Some of the SF Discords on the other hand are very exclusive, especially amongst US pros it seems.

There are people I know locally who turn their nose up at SFV and play most of their games on 3S arcade boards! And his point stands - look at the back lash at MenaRD winning over Tokido ("Japanese God").

Syph are you OMH the Oni player from SF4?

Soldato
Nah, I was terrible at SF4. I could barely even do FADC combos. I was one of those people who owned 2, 3, 4 etc, but thought I was great because I could do special moves and a few hit combos. Usual tactic was jump in HK, sweep. :D :D

Associate
Nah, I was terrible at SF4. I could barely even do FADC combos. I was one of those people who owned 2, 3, 4 etc, but thought I was great because I could do special moves and a few hit combos. Usual tactic was jump in HK, sweep. :D :D
What's your CFN, would be fun to get some forum battle lounges going?

Soldato
CFN is syph0n, PSN is in sig if you're on PS4. What rank are you Deanje? I'm Super Gold, but to be fair, might be better than that but I don't get much time for ranked. Laura main. Srynotsry.

Associate
I play on PC, so will just add you on CFN.
Only Super Bronze at the moment, but climbing steadily; I've only recently had time for ranked with evenings clearing up.
From the cross section of ranks I've played in battle lounge etc. I think I'd probably slot in easy enough in the higher silver ranks; but, we'll see now I can play more.

I've been playing Alex recently; obviously a masochist.

Soldato
Calling it a vested interest is a bit of a reach, though I understand where the cynicism comes from.

Take it as you wish, I happen to agree with his points (including negative ones raised)...and I don’t youtube or own shares in Capcom ;)

Back
Top Bottom