Strongest moment of drama

Man of Honour
What piece of telly or film, specifically a particular part not a whole episode or film, do you consider to be the most compelling and moving few minutes that you've ever witnessed?

I've had a few in the past, notably the bit in Excalibur when Arthur is dying and instructs one of his knights to take the sword and throw it into the lake, quite a few scenes from Brett's Sherlock Holmes, and the bit in the 1984 Moroder rehash of Metropolis where the bird comes out on stage in the gentlemens club and dances always sends shivers down my spine (not that there was any acting in it as such just that it was very moving).

The thing I just watched almost moved me to tears though, and it was completely unexpected because to some extent, the programme the scene was in could be classed as a soap opera. Also, I watched it once when I was 12 or 13 and can't remember it having any effect on me.

It was the first few minutes of the pilot episode of Twin Peaks, from the point where Laura Palmer's body is discovered to when her father is told at the hotel whilst his worried wife is on the phone. I can't believe how powerful and realistic the portrayal of such a tragedy was!

There was a one off drama god knows how many years ago titled 'Walking on the Moon'
It was a drama about a school boy who was bullied.
Some scenes were so hard hitting it's stayed with me through the years.:(

There were quite a few parts of Six Feet Under that really moved me and made me sit back and think. I can't really mention them because I don't want to spoil it for anyone wishing to watch it as they are pretty major events. Other Six Feet Under fans will know what I'm talking about.

The execution scene at the end of the film Savior was pretty shocking. It haunted me for ages.

Last edited:
The Godfather, when Pacino had to go into the Cafe and shoot that guy (policeman?), he went into the loo and came back out again with the gun.

It has been the only drama where it had made my heart pump faster and faster as he got closer to doing it. I remember i could actually feel my heart jumping in my chest.

When Mufasa died in Lion King.
When Jack died in Titanic.
When Locke didn't push the button in season finale of Lost.
When Jack told Kate they have to go back to the island in season final of Lost.
Most of the Lord of the Rings.
Most of Lost season premiers and finales.
Saving Private Ryan.

^ spoilers.

Last edited:
Lost

Charlie being resuscitated by Jack and Kate after Ethan hung him from a tree.

Charlies death after pressing "The Yellow Button" / Claire and Hurley finding out.

Desmond finally getting through to call Penny to save his life! Then speaking to her for the first time since being trapped on the island and finding out she had been looking for him for the past three years!

Kate shouting "stand up!" to Sawyer when he is being held at gun point by Danny knowing he has a pace maker that he doesn't need which will kill him if he trys anything. Then Sawyer ramming danny's head into the electric shock button!

When Martin Keemy arrives on the island and kills Alex / Ben activates the black smoke and goes to see her on the ground.

Last edited:
I've had a few in the past, notably the bit in Excalibur when Arthur is dying and instructs one of his knights to take the sword and throw it into the lake,

I'd have to say the bit slightly later, where you briefly see the dying Arthur being taken to Avalon by the three queens. Of course the Wagner in the background helped...

The Abyss - the moment when Michael Beihn's character finally realises what he has done, a second before his submersible drops into the abyss of the title.

The part of The Battle of Britain where the only sound is Walton's music.

Ran - the battle for the castle: again it's the combination of the superb cinematography and the music which does it.

The Terminator pulling the skin off his arm.

Sigourney Weaver tooling up to rescue Newt.

The first docking scene in 2001, and the death of HAL in the same film.

M

The ending of Fight Club.

The ending of A Scanner Darkly.

Kid's Story, A Detective Story, Beyond and in fact most of the short films in The Animatrix.

A certain character dying in the second series of The Wire. It builds towards the scene for so long, you know there's no way he's getting out of it. And then he cops it. Slow, painfully, and with absolutely no cheesy tearjerker music or montage to accentuate the scene. And the worst bit is, it just feels all so utterly pointless.

First scene of Buffy season 5, episode 16 (The Body)

Ending of season 6, episode 3 of One Tree Hill (Get Cape. Wear Cape Fly)

Tie on those two for me I think....

Back
Top Bottom