DO NOT READ THE PREVIOUS LINE

****WATCHMEN SPOILERS****

there are lots of others but i cant think of them right now

That was awful

The acting by fake batman

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

I almost lol'd out loud in the cinema....:D

Post full of spoliers....

The last 20 minutes of Requiem for a Dream.

The death of some main characters in 24, and Jack's breakdown in his car in season 3.

When Leslie dies in Bridge to Terabithia.

The last 30 minutes of Before Sunset, Julie Delpy and Than Hawke have an awesome chemistry on screen as Jesse and Celine.

The rape scene in The Kite Runner.

Recently watched Man on Wire, and that had me tingling all the way through, ok it's a documentary though.

Million Dollar Baby.

When Will Smith slept in the toilet with his kid in the Pursuit of Happyness.

And for some reason Roy's speech before his death at the end of Bladerunner.

Are some that I remember having an effect on me.

Two recent ones:

Clannad ~ After Story ~ ep16 .... Nagisa's death

Maria-sama ga Miteru ep11 (final scene) .... last 5 minutes when one of the characters realises that she has been wrong about her assumptions up to now and all she has done is pushed away everyone who has cared for her.

Too many to mention, although one that sticks out as I type this has to be Sunshine (if you haven't watched the film stop reading now) when Capa is struggling to jump. The music (which is fantastic) subsides to hear Capa screaming in desperation.

That part just really struck a chord with me. I love fantastical moments too, like the ending of The Fountain when (stop reading if you haven't seen) the tree of life dies and everything comes together.

Grave of the Fireflies where Seita is carrying Setsuko and she's saying to him about not leaving her. Very sad, as is the end.

If it wasn't anime it would be considered one of the greatest films of all time.

24 spoliers -season 5 or 6

when jack killed curtis, moments later followed by the nuke going off in the city, episode 4 of either S5 or S6

ET when he leaves to go back home - Come on I was only 8!?

Titanic - Jack dies and when Rose dies and goes back to the ship, I bawled :( .

Raiders of the Lost Ark - In the map room when he find to location of the Ark. Something mythical, mystical, haunting about it.

Star Wars - When Luke finds his Aunt and Uncle dead. Changes the film for a sci-fi film to a real story.

Saving Private Ryan - The opening 15 minutes and the end at the war graveyard. With this film you knew war films had changed forever. Changed from gun ho' adventures into a bloody reality.

Shawshank Redemption - The poster bit at the end. I had my mouth open like those in the film.

Last edited:
*The 'Two Cathederals' episode of The West Wing (season 2 finale) when Dire Straits Brothers in Arms kicks in.

*Final few minutes of Six Feet Under with the montage of the characters lives set to Sia's 'Breathe Me'.

*The season 5 finale of Buffy when she sacrafices herself.

*Freds death in Angel with the two episodes bookended by Fred leaving home for LA.

*20 minutes before the end of Bridge to Terebithia - no spoiler posted.

*When Draco dies in Dragonheart - a film with an absolutely beautiful score.

Last edited:
Bit of a niche one that not many people will have heard. A few years ago I was in the kitchen with the TV on in the background and the little-known US sitcom 'Suddenly Susan' was on. Was probably a Sunday morning and there was nothing on except the usual C4 morning stuff. I kind of tuned in to what the episode was about and it turned out to be this:

Cast member David Strickland committed suicide on March 22, 1999, just prior to the end of the third season. Strickland's death was incorporated into the third season finale, which was turned into a tribute to Strickland's character, Todd. In the episode, Todd goes missing and Susan spends the episode desperately trying to find him. As the episode progresses, Susan learns about a number of good deeds that Todd had done around his neighborhood that Susan never knew about. Also, interviews with the main cast appear throughout the episode, with each character sharing the personal experiences they had with Todd. As the episode comes to an end, Todd's favorite song, Fat Boy Slim's "Praise You" plays outside in the street as Susan and her co-workers sit in a circle praying for Todd's well-being. At last, the phone in the middle of the room rings, but the camera cuts away before the news of Todd's fate can be revealed. The episode ends with a clip montage of David Strickland and ends with the titles "The Gods of comedy looked down upon you and smiled."

Sounds horribly contrived in those few paragraphs, but the episode is actually quite moving if you try and immerse yourself and imagine the title character gradually finding out that her friend was a completely different person to who she imagined, only by the end of the day to find out he's died. Was quite amazing to watch.

I'll go for The Siege for dramatic moment in cinema... The US Army marching across the brooklyn bridge to establish marshall law, what an image.

In TV... Oh, the West Wing, 2 Cathedrals, Bartlett tells god off in latin. it's maybe a cheap choice because it was so obviously set up to be a big dramatic impressive moment, but... well, it worked :D

I think in One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest there are more moments that had me bristling with emotion than any other film:

(***Spoilers***)
When they are on the fishing boat
When Nurse Ratchett is speaking to Billy after the party
When the Chief is switching McMurphy's gas off

I'd have to say Jacobs Ladder where Jacob is in hospital and his "ex" wife and kids come to visit him. He's in one hell of an emotional state and whilst having this moment of "normality" a disembodied voice says "Dream on" and a tear runs down Jacobs face.

That was drama of the highest quality.

An amazing scene from an amazing film. So simple there...just a voice saying "Dream on" and he breaks instantly. From what I remember he also says "oh, god" before he cries, just as he hears it. Tim Robbins is astounding in that scene.

Back
Top Bottom