Strongest moment of drama

I think it is the story arc involving Gene in The Bridge. The whole documentary was pretty tough going but his story in particular just seemed to hit me pretty hard. It's not something I can recommend you watch as such, but if the whole movie seems to much then someone has chopped out all the scenes referring to him and put them up on youtube with the title The Bridge: Gene Sprague. Perhaps it's not the kind of thing you had in mind for the thread though...

******WATCHMEN SPOILERS******

DO NOT READ THE NEXT LINE
rorschachs death in the film
DO NOT READ THE PREVIOUS LINE

****WATCHMEN SPOILERS****

there are lots of others but i cant think of them right now

So many in Buffy/Angel I'm going to go with Angelus snapping Jenny Calender's neck though. I've never felt more emotionally attached to a moment like that.

The Godfather, when Pacino had to go into the Cafe and shoot that guy (policeman?), he went into the loo and came back out again with the gun.

It has been the only drama where it had made my heart pump faster and faster as he got closer to doing it. I remember i could actually feel my heart jumping in my chest.

I felt exactly the same the first time I saw it. Extremely intense.

This one is perhaps a bit odd but the climactic fight in Fearless where Jet Li is squaring off against the Judo champion and the crowd chants "Huo Yin Ja", sends a shiver down my spine every time. I don't want to say any more for fear of ruining it but it is absolutely worth watching.

Death of Sean Connery's character in "The Untouchables"

Dead Man's Shoes: 1) Confrontation in the street
2) Drug scene near the end

Taxi Driver: Shootout at end

K19 : The reactor repairs

Leon: when he tells Matilda to go and that he loves her

Terminator: Nightclub scene

Gallipoli : Final scene

Alien: Air duct scene

Killing Fields: The false passport scene

The Mission: DeNiro's acceptance by the Guarani indians.

Copland : Stallone's character decides enough is enough

Clear And Present Danger: The cars get trapped and blown up

The Rock : Seal team walk into ambush

Platoon : Willem Dafoe's death

Revenge of the Sith : Order 66

Schindler's List : "I pardon you", then BANG!

Marathon Man : "Is it safe?"

Southern Comfort: The Cajun village scene

Last edited:
I hesitate to post this one, but one of my favourite all-time films is Short Circuit 2, and the last 20-25 minutes are just superb. He gets smashed to pieces by the jewel thieves (and saves himself with the remote controlled planes), has to write on a wall in chalk because he can't speak any more, gets temporarily fixed, comes to the realisation that he was only incapacitated because he's a machine and not thought of as a real person, then goes vigilante and tracks down his attackers knowing he doesn't have enough time to catch them and fix himself before he 'dies'.

I'm serious! I can watch it again and again. They did an amazing job of convincing us that a machine can live. Beats the end of Terminator 2 into a cocked hat. :p

The West Wing episode 'Two Cathedrals', the final five minutes of the second season. Goes to the President's announcement that he's running for a second term, but it's built up so well and the musical accompaniment (Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits) is superb.

I'd have to say Jacobs Ladder where Jacob is in hospital and his "ex" wife and kids come to visit him. He's in one hell of an emotional state and whilst having this moment of "normality" a disembodied voice says "Dream on" and a tear runs down Jacobs face.

That was drama of the highest quality.

Back
Top Bottom