Stronglifts 5x5

Man of Honour
Introduction:
Male, 36 years old, 6 foot tall, not muscular at all, never set foot in a gym in my life.
Spent my 20s fairly skinny(85ish kg)
Spent my 30s a bit fatter (99kg at my fattest)
No real exercise other than some cycling when the mood takes me and the odd game of football.

Decided to join a gym in April and do something about it.
Started off barely able to lift a can of Coke let alone a weight. Bench 25kg, bicep curl 7.5kg - you get the picture.

Started doing weights 3 or 4 times a week and made some progress. Bench now 60kg and bicep curl 25kg to give a contrast to the before figures.

Decided a couple of weeks ago to do the Stronglifts programme because I've been neglecting my legs not squatting and generally not having much of a proper routine.

Body weight currently 93kg

August 15
Squat 40kg 5x5
Bench 60kg 5x5
Row 50kg 5x5
Bench close to my regular max here, the others felt too easy

August 17
Squat 50kg 5x5
OHP 30kg 5x5
Deadlift 50kg 5x5
Overhead press got me sweating on this one. Never deadlifted before, tried to get my form as good as possible. Gym in Newcastle is rammed with mirrors which helps. 50kg felt very easy but I didn't want to go too hard too fast. I'll definitely up the weight faster for this one

August 19
Squat 60kg 5x5
Bench 62.5kg 5x5
Row 55kg 5x5
Squat getting close to my (low) current limit now. Bench felt about right. Row still too light.

August 21
Squat 65kg 5x5
OHP 35kg 5x5
Deadlift 3x5 60kg
Wobbled on my squat for the first time. Left leg went to jelly in the last set. OHP is testing. Deadlift still way too light

August 23
Squat 67.5kg 5x5
Bench 65kg 5x5
Row 57.5kg 5x5
Squat somehow easier than last time despite being heavier.

August 24
Squat 70kg 5x5
OHP 40kg 5x5
Deadlift 110kg 3x5
Had to do 2 days back to back because of my schedule.
Took my shoes off this time. Found it MUCH easier to squat and deadlift barefoot. Squat felt like a real workout. OHP had me sweating like crazy. Deadlift (I did a few warmup sets, didn't leap straight to 110) felt like a proper challenge, like I was actually lifting something heavy. It hasn't felt like that before.

August 26
Squat 72kg 5x5
Bench 67.5kg 5x5
Row 60kg 5x5
Didn't feel this one. Squat was alright but I can feel my abdomeny twist slighty when I got left jelly leg right at the end.
Bench actually felt like it was working my chest rather than my triceps which was the first time I've really noticed that.
Row was ok but not brilliant, spine felt like it might have been curving a bit on the last set

August 28
Squat 75kg 5x5
OHP 45kg 5x5
Deadlift 3x5 120kg
Squat felt better than last time - no jelly leg but I'm sure there is still a bit of twisting happening.
OHP I'm amazed I made the last set, my final 3 reps were really forced out at a crawl.
Deadlift - this really feels like my natural limit at the moment. I could go heavier but a)My hands hurt like hell! and b)I wouldn't be able to maintain a neutral back.

Really enjoying so far and I think I need to eat more!

Soldato
You are doing really well. Keep it up. If you are using double overhand on your deadlift you could switch to an over under grip but i'd try and keep double overhand for as many sets as you can. Grip strength is a bugger but when it starts tp improve it will come on leaps and bounds.

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers guys

August 30
Squat 77.5kg 5x5
Bench 70kg 5x5
Row 62.5kg 5x5
Squat was a proper workout but didn't feel as close to failing as it did in the 60s. Bench came really close to failing the last couple of reps, in fact sets 4 and 5 were both tough. Row was okay, neutral back and only the last 2 reps of the final set were tough.

Man of Honour
OP
September 1
Squat 80kg 5x5
OHP 47.5kg 5x5
Deadlift 122.5kg 2x5

Squat felt okay, can't believe I was massively struggling in the low 60s 2 weeks ago yet now I'm on 80. OHP was incredibly hard, I was very close to bailing the last set altogether but gritted my teeth and powered through. The last 2 reps felt like they would never end. Deadlift killed my hands and completely exhausted me. Properly knackered after that.

Man of Honour
OP
September 3
Squat 82.5kg 5x5
Bench 72.5kg 5x5
Row 65kg 5x5

Squat felt pretty good here other than one wobble where I forgot to breathe :o. Bench felt good too, way better than 70 did. I would never have contemplated lifting 70kg plus a few weeks ago. Row was so so, not a massive fan of this exercise to be honest, it never looks or feels particularly "right" no matter how I do it.

Man of Honour
OP
September 5
Squat 87.5kg 5x5
OHP 50kg 5x5
Deadlift 125kg 2x5

I didn't enjoy this. Tried a 5kg jump on Squats. I did it, but on the third rep of the fourth set I faltered mid way up and almost had to drop the bar. Recovered after that but I was completely shattered.
OHP was the worst it has ever been, wobbling about, barely making the last 2 sets, I'm going to have to stick at this weight for a few sessions I think before I consider upping the weight again.
Deadlift was tiring but didn't feel that bad, got some liquid chalk which helped a fair bit with my grip.

Soldato
OHP is the harshest of all the main compound lifts on Stronglifts - I'd expect the majority of people to stall hard on it on the programme! Keep up the good work, making great gains :)

Soldato
A 50kg overhead press is pretty strong assuming you have a good range of movement on it. The climb from 50kg to 60kg can take a long time, so don't be worried about failing 52.5kg, deloading to 47.5kg and working back up to help you break that plateau.

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers, I'm really pleased with the squats - although I know they aren't "heavy" in the grander scheme of things, they are so much heavier than when I started.

OHP has full range of motion, I just can't get over how much harder 50kg is than 45! There was one point yesterday where I thought I was going to actually fall over.

Man of Honour
OP
September 7
Squat 90kg 5x5
Bench 75kg 4x5 1x4
Row 67.5kg 5x5

My first stall. On the last bench set I wobbled and the 4th rep was a definite half rep. Couldn't make the last without risking dropping the bar on myself. Squat wasn't perfect either. Annoyed but it's to be expected I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom