STS-134 Shuttle Mission to the International Space Station Launches Monday 16th @ 13:56 BST

Man of Honour
OP
Now preparing for hatch opening and welcome:

doc5.jpg

doc6.jpg

:)

Permabanned
Endeavour five feet away from the ISS:

Now mated and completing the docking sequence:

and docked:
/quote]

Those pictures look dark as hell. Creepy. :(

edit: yes I know it's space, it just seems inky darkness, I'd have thought the sun would have lit everything up?

Am I digging myself in a hole?

Soldato
Those pictures look dark as hell. Creepy. :(

edit: yes I know it's space, it just seems inky darkness, I'd have thought the sun would have lit everything up?

Am I digging myself in a hole?

It's to do with the exposure settings on the camera - it's set so you can see the actual Shuttle/ISS. You could change it so you could see the stars but then the Shuttle (ie, what you're actually trying to look at) would be overexposed.

Also, i believe they were in the shadow of the Earth at the time of docking, or just about to leave it...

Permabanned
A couple that lived down the road texted my mum 5 mins after launch saying they had watch the shuttle take off, they are in Orlando for 3 weeks.

Was like lucky ****

Man of Honour
OP
Well, might have spoken too soon at any rate - just heard a rumor about the RPM turning up some tile damage :(

They have spotted several "dings" on tiles caused by debris during launch. They do not appear to be significant and they will be taking another look on Saturday.

shuttletilesdings.jpg

There is a tile repair kit onboard just in case repair work is needed.

Man of Honour
Who said they were indestructible? No-one that I'm aware of. They're very special though - try finding something else you can heat to several thousand degress and then pick up with un unprotected hand while they're still glowing. :D

Man of Honour
OP
Flight Day 3 highlights:

The wakeup call for today was Luna by Jose Serrano and the plan is:

Flight Day 4

• Shuttle robotic arm unberth of the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer-2 (AMS), handoff to Canadarm2 and installation of AMS on the Starboard 3 truss segment
• Spacewalk 1 procedure review
• Spacewalk 1 campout and prebreathe by Feustel and Chamitoff​

AMS unberth is due to start around 07:00 (BST) and installation about 09:00 (BST).

Back
Top Bottom