Sudden appearance of ads on OCUK site ??? **UPDATE: There will be no adverts**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Did you consider that maybe the reason we use used these forums (as opposed to others) is because they are were ad free?

Besides, it's not so much the ads themselves, as the message it gives out to the loyal customers who have been here for years and have almost certainly driven custom to the shop, both from themselves and recommendations to friends and family.

Lets be honest, OCUK are quite often not the most competitive on price, but they do (in my experience at least) have the edge when it comes to customer service and reputation. The forums are a part of that experience, and treating those loyal customers as nothing more than a cash-cow certainly leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

I used to go on overclock.net until all the ads started. Bit by bit they got worse.

They don't have a shop so funds have to come from somewhere with them.

Soldato
I couldn't possibly speculate :(
Fair enough. Obviously I don't know what the exact goal of running the advertising is, whether it's to cover costs or maximise profits from it, but if you could please pass my feedback on that'd be great. Among many other things, I define digital ad placements for a living :)

Caporegime
Does that just mean it'd be too much effort than its worth? Because you can place an ad literally anywhere on a page.

It means that the people in charge of the website and forum don't know what they are doing. That should be apparent by all the other issues there are on a regular basis.

The lack of a staging environment to test things before rolling them out to live.

And the fact that they moved the forum to the same domain as the store so when there is increased demand due to a product release the forum goes down as well.

Its all clever stuff. :p

Man of Honour
Can you post a screenshot?

(I know when they initially went live they were, but they had been changed to a smaller format on the mobile theme)
Screenshot-2020-10-09-14-40-15-503-com-android-chrome.jpg

Soldato
Your point? it's not me being unreasonable. don't let the door hit you on your way out if that's your attitude. You've had 16 years out of this forum scot-free, and you're whining about one advert. one.

Considering the £10k+ worth of kit I've bought from them over the years, I wouldn't exactly class it as "free". I don't think I'm being unreasonable, I'm giving my feedback (one of the Dons has literally said "All feedback is welcome"), and stating that they will likely lose at least one customer's loyalty through this. Maybe that is unreasonable *shrug*, but thankfully I'm more than welcome to take my money elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I'm sure somewhere they've done the maths and figured that the expected ad revenue is worth losing a couple of customers over, but it's just disappointing that all it ever comes down to is the bottom line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom