Suicide by train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I find the original post to be in bad taste, plus anyone wanting to see real-life deaths should seek help, but for the majority, I don't think it's being trivialised at all.

Someone has posted who is going through a hard time and you want to cut them off? It would have taken a lot to post that so i'd rather side with giving that guy a chance to reach out rather than shut this down because of someone's feathers being ruffled due to the tone of some of the posts.

No doubt you or one of your colleagues have seen some horrible stuff, but so have many car drivers.

If the admins are happy to clear up any dumbass comments then this should stay open.

Soldato
In my job I've attended 5 railway suicides, 2 attempted suicides and 1 track worker who had been hit by a train and killed accidentally. What I can tell you from my experience is there's no dignity in death this way - the bits (unless the clothes keep the body together) get bagged up, the little bits get kicked into the bushes and it isn't even guaranteed to work. One train driver I know came out of a tunnel at 70mph to find a mother holding her baby walking towards him. He could do nothing and both mother and child died. Another train driver had someone jump in front of him at Balcombe station at 90mph - the body ended up in the cab with him, luckily missing him.

I cannot over-emphasise the detrimental effects railway suicides have on so many people, from the families/friends directly affected, the staff having to deal with it and the passengers who suffer disruption for a long time (dependent on the line used).

Soldato
Well said Ted. I worked in Control for many years and until they switched to GSM-R we were the first point of contact for the emergency call on the NRN. I have also over the years been on several trains involved in fatalities, on the last occasion I went and sat with the driver as literally in the middle of nowhere and over two hours before anyone could get there to assist. Luckily all three of us (driver, guard and myself) were fairly pragmatic about it, needed a fitter to repair damage to the Class 47 before we could get going again, it was quite bad.

I saw the driver a few years later on a comms course at Bristol and he still remembered the incident.

So my advice to anyone contemplating such actions is, there’s always hope, whether the Samaritans or anyone else will be more than happy to lend an ear to listen and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom