Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Caporegime
Window is opening in 10 days time and as an Arsenal fan, I am rather perturbed to see many outlets reporting that Barça are highly interested in our newly crowned player of the season, Alex Lacazette.

What with losing Ramsey too, losing both in one window, and they wouldn’t be sufficiently replaced imo, would be devastating.

Soldato
A number 10, we need that creative midfield player still.

We also need a quality back up to firmino which I can't think of any one that will be easily obtainable who would be willing to be back up which will make it an even harder task

Don
A number 10, we need that creative midfield player still.

We also need a quality back up to firmino which I can't think of any one that will be easily obtainable who would be willing to be back up which will make it an even harder task
Not sure you're going to see us playing with a number 10 much and in the few games we do, it'll be Firmino that plays there. A full season of Ox and Keita will give us some of the creativity we lacked in midfield but we could do with more. As for a Firmino back-up, as I've said many times before we need another Salah/Mane type not another Firmino. We've seen Salah and Mane play through the middle this season and do so effectively. Sign another Mane and you've got cover for the entire front 3 (one of Salah or Mane moves into the middle if Firmino's out and the replacement plays wide), sign a Firmino back-up and you've only got cover for Firmino - an injury to Salah or Mane and you're changing formation or playing Firmino wide, where he's not nearly as effective. It looks like he's off to Bayern but the ideal scenario would be Werner as he could play both on the left and through the middle but the priority is somebody that can play wide.

At a guess I'd imagine we'll look to sign a flexible forward to replace Sturridge and Origi, a fullback with Moreno leaving and a new back-up keeper with Mignolet likely to leave. With Milner's age and Lallana's constant injuries I'd hope we'd be in for another midfielder too (somebody like Tielemans ticks the boxes) and with Lovren missing every other game with a sore throat or rash on his arse, I'd look to sign another CB.

With the likes of Clyne, Gruijic, Wilson, Kent and a few other loaned out players or players on the fringes of the squad without featuring much likely to leave this could be another summer where we raise a lot of money without weakening our squad.

Soldato
Lots out for MUFC

Darmian
Rojo
Martial
Jones
Valencia
Perreira

Probably more

I would show quite a few the door before Perreira to be honest, but we do need to give him one , attacking, position to let him get used to rather than being shoved around the pitch.

Smalling?
Bailly (injury prone as much as any other reason)
Young
Pogba
Sanchez (however much it costs to get rid)
DDG (if he wont sign an extention - still worth £80m?)

I really value DDG for what he has done for Utd over the last 5 - 6 years especially, and without a doubt he is worth every penny he wants but we have to stop the rot on wages somehow and I really wouldn't be against the club selling the 3 highest earners by far (Sanchez , Pogba, DDG) and resetting the wage structure completely.

We may not even have to replace DDG either, depending on Romero's recent injury see how he performs behind a restructured defence.

Move for younger players (and bring in a few of the best u18 from the academy) who are hungry to wear the shirt, rather than overpaid egos who think they should be the centre of everything

Soldato
Not sure you're going to see us playing with a number 10 much and in the few games we do, it'll be Firmino that plays there. A full season of Ox and Keita will give us some of the creativity we lacked in midfield but we could do with more. As for a Firmino back-up, as I've said many times before we need another Salah/Mane type not another Firmino. We've seen Salah and Mane play through the middle this season and do so effectively. Sign another Mane and you've got cover for the entire front 3 (one of Salah or Mane moves into the middle if Firmino's out and the replacement plays wide), sign a Firmino back-up and you've only got cover for Firmino - an injury to Salah or Mane and you're changing formation or playing Firmino wide, where he's not nearly as effective. It looks like he's off to Bayern but the ideal scenario would be Werner as he could play both on the left and through the middle but the priority is somebody that can play wide.

At a guess I'd imagine we'll look to sign a flexible forward to replace Sturridge and Origi, a fullback with Moreno leaving and a new back-up keeper with Mignolet likely to leave. With Milner's age and Lallana's constant injuries I'd hope we'd be in for another midfielder too (somebody like Tielemans ticks the boxes) and with Lovren missing every other game with a sore throat or rash on his arse, I'd look to sign another CB.

With the likes of Clyne, Gruijic, Wilson, Kent and a few other loaned out players or players on the fringes of the squad without featuring much likely to leave this could be another summer where we raise a lot of money without weakening our squad.
Maybe 10 was the wrong choice of wording we need that extra creative outlet in midfield imo we need a regular midfielder who will get us 10 goals a season.

Striker was as you say sturridge likely to move on so we need some one, weather it's a player like firmino or not I don't think having an out and out striker would be a bad option either. I cannot think of a player that is even remotely like firmino in what he does.

I don't rate origi at all but it would not surprise me of klopp gives him yet another shot.

I agree on lovren, Matip has surprised me allot in past few weeks too so I reckon he will stay.

I'd like de ligt of klopp opts for another centre back he would likely cost us more than dijk mind

Don
Maybe 10 was the wrong choice of wording we need that extra creative outlet in midfield imo we need a regular midfielder who will get us 10 goals a season.

Striker was as you say sturridge likely to move on so we need some one, weather it's a player like firmino or not I don't think having an out and out striker would be a bad option either. I cannot think of a player that is even remotely like firmino in what he does.

I don't rate origi at all but it would not surprise me of klopp gives him yet another shot.

I agree on lovren, Matip has surprised me allot in past few weeks too so I reckon he will stay.

I'd like de ligt of klopp opts for another centre back he would likely cost us more than dijk mind
You'd hope Ox and a fully settled Keita will provide those sorts of numbers in terms of goals but again, I wouldn't be against us signing another attack minded midfielder to replace Lallana. As for the striker/Origi, I guess a lot will rest on his willingness to be a squad player. I've no problem with him staying as an option or signing an out and out centre forward but they can't be the priority because they'll only ever be a squad player as Firmino's starting 99% of the games. The priority has to be another Salah/Mane. It'll be far easier to keep 4th top class forward happy if he can play in multiple positions and provide us with much more flexibility and cover.

Man of Honour
At this point I would say nobody in our first team is safe. If Pogba/De Gea/etc all want out, then they need to go.

We need a proper director of football structure in place and then targets need to be aggressively pursued - Solskjaer will likely want to play some sort of 4231 wide/counter attacking system.

As it stands we have no usable wingers, no real number 10, and we need another striker. There are plenty of promising young players out there who can come in: Lozano, Bailey, Neres, Havertz, Aouar to name a few.

That doesn't even touch on the defence which pretty much needs replacing entirely. I'd keep Dalot, Lindelof and probably Shaw (though he seems weird), and get in a couple of decent centre backs and another full back: Koulibaly, Militao, De Ligt (I wish), Hakimi, Ferland Mendy.

If De Gea causes problems, just use Romero for now, he's fine. I don't think Lukaku will work out long term either. Sanchez needs removing no matter the cost, he's been a disaster.

Of course none of this will likely come about - I have no idea what Woodward is going to do. Will be a very interesting transfer window, but if it goes like previous ones, it's going to be a pain too.

Caporegime
OP
At this point I would say nobody in our first team is safe. If Pogba/De Gea/etc all want out, then they need to go.

We need a proper director of football structure in place and then targets need to be aggressively pursued - Solskjaer will likely want to play some sort of 4231 wide/counter attacking system.

As it stands we have no usable wingers, no real number 10, and we need another striker. There are plenty of promising young players out there who can come in: Lozano, Bailey, Neres, Havertz, Aouar to name a few.

That doesn't even touch on the defence which pretty much needs replacing entirely. I'd keep Dalot, Lindelof and probably Shaw (though he seems weird), and get in a couple of decent centre backs and another full back: Koulibaly, Militao, De Ligt (I wish), Hakimi, Ferland Mendy.

If De Gea causes problems, just use Romero for now, he's fine. I don't think Lukaku will work out long term either. Sanchez needs removing no matter the cost, he's been a disaster.

Of course none of this will likely come about - I have no idea what Woodward is going to do. Will be a very interesting transfer window, but if it goes like previous ones, it's going to be a pain too.
I agree with what you’re saying, but it sounds like a lot more than what’s realistically achievable in one window. Sounds more like a 2-3 year project.

Man of Honour
I agree with what you’re saying, but it sounds like a lot more than what’s realistically achievable in one window. Sounds more like a 2-3 year project.

It is! Would be tricky to make so many changes in one window.

We’ll have to wait and see how things go...

Man of Honour
Definitely need a little overhaul in midfield, need more creativity from there. Also I think Lallanas time is up and Sturridge absolutely needs to go, especially as I think he is on a pretty penny in wages. Milner is fine and is versatile enough and capable of covering enough positions that he can still do a job, though more as a squad player and he may need to accept a reduced role next season.

Back
Top Bottom