Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks semi-pro waster. It's just that you see Canvani's buy-out clause been met and until I read that article moments ago, had no idea Fabregas's was at £175m. I misunderstood it as literal - you pay £X to buy this player out of his contract.

its funny reading all these reports that cesc has said he wants to stay blah blah then sky sports say this

Manchester United face competition for Cesc Fabregas from three Premier League rivals.

Sky sources are indicating that Fabregas would be open to a move if Barca accepted a bid.

Thanks semi-pro waster. It's just that you see Canvani's buy-out clause been met and until I read that article moments ago, had no idea Fabregas's was at £175m. I misunderstood it as literal - you pay £X to buy this player out of his contract.

Even then a buy out isn't as clear as is made out. I believe a Spanish buy out clause is only the exact price should he be sold across Spain. Else it can run higher with taxes etc.

What happened to Maicon? A few years ago he was one of the best RBs in the world, then suddenly found himself third choice at Man City. I know Zabaleta had a brilliant season, but Maicon was even behind Richards?

Apparently turned crap when Spurs beat Inter 3-4 at the San Siro at the hands of Bale

I know, how dare he try to further his career.

after one season into a 4 year contract...wonder how much further his career would have progressed if we hadn't of signed him - Fulham had the chance but didn't.

And if his "target" is Europa League football and a top 6 finish - he will find Spurs an ideal match.

What happened to Maicon? A few years ago he was one of the best RBs in the world, then suddenly found himself third choice at Man City. I know Zabaleta had a brilliant season, but Maicon was even behind Richards?

Legs have undoutedly gone - full back, formerly the premise of the wheezy kid picked last in the playground has become an integral, athletic position, and it's very unforgiving.

Maicon was always massively over-hyped, then the hype was even more ludicrously ramped up when there was a possibility of a transfer to the Premier League. Similar thing with Alves, just because they're Brazilian does not mean they are or will be 'The Next Cafu™'

Thought he was very impressive during the Confeds. Could turn out to be a very shrewd signing.

He's already fallen out with Di Canio who has fined him 3 weeks wages for having the audacity to have more vowels in his surname name than himself. He is now transfer listed and training with the under-18s.

Can people stop mentioning this mythical 50% thing? Unless you have a confirmed source for this you're just talking ****.

If the rule is 100% confirmed truth then this whole thread needs to be closed :p

Who the heck has a confirmed source about anything? Is it confirmed source if the papers are talking about it? Because all the papers keep mentioning it. ;)

If the rule is 100% confirmed truth then this whole thread needs to be closed :p

Who the heck has a confirmed source about anything? Is it confirmed source if the papers are talking about it? Because all the papers keep mentioning it. ;)

No they don't, different papers say different things.

There's nothing wrong with rumours, but people seem to be treating this as fact.

after one season into a 4 year contract...wonder how much further his career would have progressed if we hadn't of signed him - Fulham had the chance but didn't.

Exactly - you signed him as you needed him, not out of charity. Surely him signing for you was disloyal to Genk, based on your logic? The guy kept you up, will make you about £15mil of profit in a single year, and you're jumping down his throat for wanting to move to a club where he can play with better players and have a chance to play at a higher level.

And if his "target" is Europa League football and a top 6 finish - he will find Spurs an ideal match.

As opposed to fighting relegation.

I really get bored of this loyalty nonsense. Shocking as it is, but footballers are employees as much as anyone else. They have aspirations and careers to make for themselves. There are certain, very limited situations in which it's a little wrong for a footballer to leave a club - if they have paid for him through years of injury, only for him to leave when he gets fit again for example. Generally, though, it's like anything else - if you get a chance to move up in the world, take it.

Last edited:
its funny reading all these reports that cesc has said he wants to stay blah blah then sky sports say this

Manchester United face competition for Cesc Fabregas from three Premier League rivals.

Sky sources are indicating that Fabregas would be open to a move if Barca accepted a bid.

It would be quite strange for barca to accept both Thiago and Cesc leaving in the same transfer window. Both of those where meant to take the reins of xavi and iniesta once retired...

Unless they plan on playing Naymar as a central midfielder...

Even if it is true people are making a huge deal about say a £25mil fee from Arsenal needing to be matched by a £50mil fee from another team to get Barca the same amount, or if its on the profit, a substantial increase. No one has actually mentioned what would be considered profit... which would most likely be transfer deal amortized over the contract, so roughly 30mil over 4/5 years(not sure what contract length he signed) meaning after two years he'd likely be considered to be worth say 15mil in the eyes of accountants, so a 25mil fee would be 10mil profit, and 35mil would IF the clause is true, give Barca and Arsenal 10mil each profit.

The simple fact is no one is taking into account the 30mil fee itself. Clauses supplement the transfer fee in the first place. IE someone might offer 30mil OR 25mil and 6-7mil in bonuses for cups won or appearances made. You wouldn't offer 30mil AND the 6-7mil in extra's it makes no sense.

A 30mil fee for Cesc when we considered the player to be worth significantly more suggests that the 50% sell on clause(of any type) helped reduce the initial fee... so lets go back and say they sold him for 25mil, of which 10mil is considered profit and that goes to Arsenal. The alternative was to pay £40mil upfront for Cesc with no sell on clause. The sell on clauses drops the initial buying fee and then gives a chunk of the profit to Arsenal, you don't then ask for a massively higher fee from clubs other than Arsenal to compensate, Barca's "compensation" was in the lowere initial transfer cost.

When we signed him he was going to be number one. He started at Real for his debut but went off injured and after that really struggled after that.

Zabaleta went on and had his best ever season which was great because both Maicon and Richards were injured seemingly the whole season.

He was brought in mainly because how good he is as a wing back and Mancini wanted to go to a 3-5-2.

Shame he has gone because in the games he did play he showed glimpses of his class and ability and if he could have got himself fit and confident I am sure he would still have a role to play.

When he came on v Spurs at the Etihad he turned the game for us and was the reason we won it. Bossed Bale as well which no doubt did him the world of good!

Last edited:
I really get bored of this loyalty nonsense. Shocking as it is, but footballers are employees as much as anyone else. They have aspirations and careers to make for themselves. There are certain, very limited situations in which it's a little wrong for a footballer to leave a club - if they have paid for him through years of injury, only for him to leave when he gets fit again for example. Generally, though, it's like anything else - if you get a chance to move up in the world, take it.

I agree that loyalty is nonsense and I expect none, demand none and am not offended by players leaving in any way.

THough I would just point out that players get injured training or playing for their club, that is part of the risk of football and that player may for instance never have sustained the same injury if he'd gone elsewhere. I have no issue with injured players leaving for better things, there is no owing going on. A player gets injured and often goes through painful operations, rehab and the initial injury itself while working for the club. The only issue I have with players, injuries and leaving would be if someone was injury prone and the club stuck with them to the degree that they gave them new contracts and many more years of wages and then didn't pay back that faith in the player.

In Arsenal's case Rosicky, Diaby nor Eduardo tried to force their way out of the club, and i put the responsibility for Diaby/Rosicky continued employment on Wenger. If I was Diaby I wouldn't turn down free money, but in Wenger's position I wouldn't continue to employ someone physically incapable of doing the job.

Off the top of my head I can't think of many if any players who have been injured, been given undue money/contracts/faith (like Diaby for instance) who has then forced their way out of the club. Plenty of players have turned up intending to do their best, been injured, seen out a contract then left for better(or worse) clubs, thats the life of a sportsmen/athlete, sometimes it doesn't work out well, that doesn't mean they've screwed anyone or owe anyone anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom