Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
So you're complaining because it hasn't happened in the past, so you're assuming it will never happen in the future? You should just stop following football, you'll never be happy.

It's not even like Man U's previous transfer strategy didn't contribute to a reasonable amount of success.

Yes they need to strengthen, but they've done it in the past, why assume they won't again?

You're just complaining because Moyes has basically said that he doesn't expect to be able to sign the sort of quality that he's after in January. Which is normal, most sane people know that it's hard to get quality players in January, for the reasons I've already given.

He's not saying he won't sign anyone, just that people shouldn't expect 3 world class signings then.

Didn't Man U sign Vidic in January? So you can get quality and they'll know that, but you have to identify the right targets (even more so than you might during the summer). That's all.

Its a stalling strategy so that we don't have to make any stellar signings in January and use the excuse that there are no good players available. Then we will get to summer and offer redicolous low amounts for good players and then say there is no value in the market and sign another few young English players who inevitably suck or get loaned out.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but that has been the pattern for the past few years. What has changed between now and then that makes you even think that this might change?

Caporegime
Suarez was signed in January, it's not that you can't get the best players it is that you usually have to pay over the odds.

Yet Bale cost over 80mil in the summer, most players who go in summer and are a big name cost over the odds. When Torres was bought most people were still saying he was the best striker in the world, both available, sold and overpriced in Jan.

The January thing is simply BS, one of these utterly nonsensicle things people repeat so often other people repeat it assuming it's true without ever thinking about it.

Every year multiple people say you can't get great players for cheap... this is clearly utter BS. People say you can't get quality in Jan, this is clearly utter BS.

A few clubs massively overpay for over rated players and everyone suddenly forgets the other couple thousand transfers that happen across Europe that end up great deals.

People are banging on about Lewandowski being worth basically anything and Dortmund go ahead and sign Aubameyang who is looking brilliant and banging them in this season, great value deal... reportedly. Undisclosed but believed to be 15mil and he turned down high wage offers at worse clubs like Newcastle and a few others to move to the right club for lower wages. Meaning other top clubs would have had a great shot to buy him on a lower wage for a seeming steal. Then you have your Michu's, Sturridge was so under rated by almost ( ;) ) everyone that he went for an absolute steal. Lukaku on loan has been the best value deal last year and this year.

There is ALWAYS good value and as good players outside of the overhyped by media/fans players who are almost always terrible value(Ronaldo excluded, epic fee, epic return already and still there). There is always great players available, both about to go big, already great and those players like Drogba who are still brilliant and massively effective yet decided to be too old by completely stupid clubs.

Soldato
The January thing is simply BS, one of these utterly nonsensicle things people repeat so often other people repeat it assuming it's true without ever thinking about it.

Every year multiple people say you can't get great players for cheap... this is clearly utter BS. People say you can't get quality in Jan, this is clearly utter BS.

It isn't BS at all, it's just that you and RunningMan seem to make assumptions that aren't true.

It's nothing to do with 'quality' players not being available, or that you can't get a 'good deal'.

The problem with January is that your list of potential targets tends to be reduced because a) some players are cup tied, particularly for Europe and b) other teams are more reluctant to sell.

No-one is saying you can't buy quality in January, just that you have to identify the right targets and that the list of 'right' targets is usually more limited than it might be in the summer.

Caporegime
It isn't BS at all, it's just that you and RunningMan seem to make assumptions that aren't true.

It's nothing to do with 'quality' players not being available, or that you can't get a 'good deal'.

The problem with January is that your list of potential targets tends to be reduced because a) some players are cup tied, particularly for Europe and b) other teams are more reluctant to sell.

No-one is saying you can't buy quality in January, just that you have to identify the right targets and that the list of 'right' targets is usually more limited than it might be in the summer.

Would I buy someone like cavani knowing he might not be cup tied for the one or two extra rounds of the champs cup that we might get through with this squad? Yes because it could mean we have him for the league and entirety of the next season. Of course my cavani example is just that an example but the principle remains the same.

and how is it any better or worse than buying on the last day of the transfer window leaving the selling team no time to react 3 weeks into the season etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Would I buy someone like cavani knowing he might not be cup tied for the one or two extra rounds of the champs cup that we might get through with this squad? Yes because it could mean we have him for the league and entirety of the next season. Of course my cavani example is just that an example but the principle remains the same.

You're forgetting that Cavani and Napoli/PSG have some say in the matter.

You might be happy to go half a season with a cup-tied signing. But do they want to sell a player while they're mid-way through a competition, especially when a lot of their potential replacements will be cup tied? Would he prefer to forfeit half a season of European football, or wait until the summer?

All of these things add up to make January that bit harder to attract some (not all) players.

and how is it any better or worse than buying on the last day of the transfer window leaving the selling team no time to react 3 weeks into the season etc

In many ways it's not, but then that's why the 'best' summer business tends to be done early on. Wait until deadline day and you often have to overpay and are usually only getting a 'fallback' option, having missed out on preferred targets....sound familiar?

Again, there is no hard and fast rule. You can get some fantastic deadline day deals (Ozil?), but it's not the norm.

The point is, what Moyes said makes sense. If he promised big signings in January, you'd complain when they didn't happen. But because he's talking a bit of sense you still have a go because.....well because you seem to like to moan basically.

Man of Honour
So you want us to go and pay £90m for Cavani in January then Nick? When we already have 2 players there who are as good as him, if not better?

Soldato
I dont think so because we are both quite sensible.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Not usually one for gifs, but this instantly came to mind when I read your comical reply.

Caporegime
So you want us to go and pay £90m for Cavani in January then Nick? When we already have 2 players there who are as good as him, if not better?

I think you fell hook line and keeper for Wenger s 'he's better than you think' line like so many who suddenly thought RVP was indeed better than he actually was based upon temporary form at the beginning of last season. Sadly this did not last and while he effectively won us the league with this form, he fell apart and sadly has not put himself back together or is now just at his normative level with that initial honeymoon period behind him.

My cavani example was indeed an example.

Man of Honour
I think you fell hook line and keeper for Wenger s 'he's better than you think' line like so many who suddenly thought RVP was indeed better than he actually was based upon temporary form at the beginning of last season. Sadly this did not last and while he effectively won us the league with this form, he fell apart and sadly has not put himself back together or is now just at his normative level with that initial honeymoon period behind him.

My cavani example was indeed an example.

Are you joking?

Please. :(

Caporegime
Are you joking?

Please. :(

Im not, I'm going to spell this out numerically though. Say he was an 8/10 type player. Everyone suddenly thought he was 11/10 following the first few months of the season. The best in europe. Then xmas happened and he never looked the same since. He hit a few decent goals but missed a hell of a lot of important chances.

So the question is, was he good but simply on great form and is now playing like a good player. Or is ge a great player but on bad form for the last 9 months?

Soldato
You do realise he had 2 awesome (well 1 and a half) seasons with Arsenal before the excellent first season with Man U? It's 7 games in to the season so I don't think it's time to write him off just yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom