Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
In his best season Marcelo has managed 4 goals 9 assists while being significantly worse than Baines defensively, who has gotten 7 goals 12 assists in his best season while being better defensively for a significantly worse team.

Baines takes free kicks and corners, of course he has better stats. Stats don't make the player, ask Rory Delap.

For the record I rate Baines but quoting stats is banal.

Soldato
I said ages ago, that if Man U dont finish in the top two, Moyes will (should) get the sack.

What? Sacked if they finished 3rd? That's crazy talk!

It's unthinkable for United to not finish in the top two

Why? They don't have any more right to those positions than any other team. It's actually quite refreshing to look at the league and see the current top 4 there.

Caporegime
Baines takes free kicks and corners, of course he has better stats. Stats don't make the player, ask Rory Delap.

For the record I rate Baines but quoting stats is banal.

For the record I didn't only quote stats, someone else said Marcelo offers "much more going forward". Yet the stats don't justify this, Marcelo takes freekicks, Marcelo takes corners.

Ronaldo doesn't take each and every set piece on the pitch and in fact is on the end of corners more than he takes them(by a massive amount). Marcelo fancies himself a freekick taker and happily takes them whenever either Ronaldo isn't on the pitch(rare) or when Ronaldo has missed 48 in a a single game and lets others take them.... but he's pretty crap at them.

He shoots more often than Baines(50% more in their representative best seasons) which will include freekicks. So despite offering "much more going forward" and taking more shots than Baines, in their best seasons Baines has significantly outscored the supposedly much more offensive Marcelo.

The stats merely back up what I see when they play. What is hilarious is the "they play entirely differently" type argument, both play left back, both have exactly the same responsibilities, both play the same role.

I also find it funny that Real apparently don't expect much in terms of goals and assists, from a 30mil left back who apparently offers much more going forward. What precisely does a top 2 team in a top 3 league expect from a 30mil left back who is crap defensively?

Soldato
Maybe, but his record as a Manager, potentially makes him the best ever manager in the modern era?

It could also be said that SAF is responsible for the very average players still at Utd after several years.

So he has undoubtedly been responsible for a vast majority of the good things about Utd's recent past, but there are some not so great things which are swept under the carpet.

("There is no value in the transfer market" - yes unfortunately nearly every transfer window Utd are asked to pay more for the same player than any other club would simply Because its Utd, but in the same way there is at least a handful of players which shouldnt even be in the squad anymore and are relatively easily replacable by MUCH better examples in the same position.

Should Utd be looking for "value" given how massive a club they are, or should they just gone out and bagged one extra player a summer for the last 2 - 3 which wouldnt have been beyond their spending power by any means - and the squad and probably the 1st XI would be considerably better than it is today)

Man of Honour
Athletic Bilbao have confirmed that Manchester United have sent scouts to watch Ander Herrera in the club's last two away games. (El Correo, Bilbao local paper)

Think he'd be a very good buy.

Caporegime
Sell Valencia, have Nani start and Zaha backup. Job done.

Who could we sell valencia to for a non embarrassing fee? Just keep him as a right wing back imo.

I guess we can all understand rooney and his lack of ambition statement now?

Going from Giggs, tevez, rooney and ronaldo to ashley young, welbeck, rooney, valencia is pathetic.

Soldato
That's from here I think: http://www1.skysports.com/football/...nchester-united-target-ander-herrera-to-leave

I suppose we're deciding whether to pay the €36m it'll take to get him... I assume we can sort a deal out for that with enough time for January or whatever. 1 day wasn't quite enough... :p

Several reports floating around that Utd backed out well before the last day (and his form has dipped a little in the last few games), but so much contradictory information about what was happening nothing would surprise me.

Still quite a gamble for the amount of money being asked, but should be a lot better than most of the players we have available in that kind of position

New rumour that Kagawa will be swapped for Subotic. Nice way to say F U to Jones, Smalling and Evans if it actually happens. If Kagawa does go, then I'll jump on the "Moyes Out" wagon.

No it doesnt really, it just means Rio is probably going to be slowly phased out, and we can still use Evans/Smalling as stand in, with long term view of Jones and Smalling when they have a lot more experience.

I wouldnt blame Kagawa in the slightest if he left, he just isnt being given the chances in his position (even when Rooney is out). Moyes still needs time and absolutely no way he will be sacked this season (and its nothing to do with how much it would cost the club to sack him and the back-room team)

Last edited:
Soldato
Only sensible place for this to go, but Michael Dawson has signed a new 3 year deal to stay at Spurs until 2016. He sleeps in his shirt, allegedly.

Love that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom