Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

It makes sense if the rumours are true that we're spending so much on dijk/Lemar
How much have we spent so far? Around £10-15m net. Sakho likely to be off for £20m (bottom end figure) leaves us in profit. At the figures quoted for VvD & Lemar we'd be looking at around £140m net - assuming we get them that's a lot and more than I expected we'd spend this window.

As I said the other day, if Coutinho is going then we need another midfielder as well as Lemar.

I can't see us getting any one else on top of lemar/dijk even if countinho goes as klopp said Milner will move back there (I'm not comparing there ability as countinho is a totally different) Lamar would fill his position.

My worry is keeping can, rumours of juvé don't seem to be going away

Klopp said we wanted another midfielder even after he said Milner is an option in midfield this season.

As for Can, I hope it's just a way of him securing the best contract he can get. The longer he drags it out the better his position is.

A little summary of Liverpool's transfer dealings. We're reportedly still negotiating for Lemar although time is against us, Ox is our back-up option, he's stalling on the Chelsea move because he wants to play for a big club, we want VvD but will only bid if Southampton give us the green light, Sakho deal isn't done despite earlier reports (Palace supposedly offered £22m rising to £25m but we want £30m), Markovic is likely to be off one way or another and Liverpool based jouno's are still reporting that Coutinho isn't being sold.

edit: Ox is no longer stalling on the Chelsea deal, it's now being reported that he's rejected the move and wants to join Liverpool. I guess that means Lemar isn't happening - there just isn't any justice in this world.

Last edited:
He wants to join a big club and play in midfield, not as a wing back.
Yep read the same thing, due to Conte probably playing Ox at RWB and he wants the CM role. Liverpool haven't bid for Ox from what I've been reading, and not only that is Klopp going to shove any of your CM players out for Ox??

He wouldn't be first name on the team sheet if that's what you're asking but we need and certainly have room for another midfielder in our squad. With Lallana out we've only got 5 senior midfielders for 3 roles and the fact that he can play wide too is helpful.

Can't say I'm keen on Chamberlain. Especially not for £40m

Reportedly any bid from us will be for less than that with Ox being willing to run his contract down if we can't negotiate a deal. At the end of last season I said that I didn't mind the idea of signing Ox but the price (£35m+) was too high - given the way fees have gone through the roof over the last 2 months, £35-40m doesn't seem quite as much any more.

I know he's not lived up to his potential yet but the ability is there and more importantly, his attributes are suited to playing in our 3 man midfield. I look at him and see a lot of similarities to Lallana from a year or so ago - a year ago nobody every considered Lallana as a central midfielder but in the system we play he looks a natural and I get the feeling Ox would too. He's got the energy to play our pressing game, he's comfortable playing in tight areas and like Lallana, he's somebody that can run with the ball through midfield too. The fact that he can also play wide is more than useful too. Assuming Coutinho stays, a signing like Ox gives us so much flexibility as to where we play Coutinho in any given game - if you want to play Coutinho in midfield but Salah or Mane are injured, Ox plays wide and Coutinho can play in midfield and equally if you wanted to play him in the front 3 but Lallana & Can are out, Ox plays in midfield and you can play Coutinho in the front 3.

It seemed odd when the stories first came out yesterday but seemingly it was Arsenal asking for Sterling rather than City offering him to them.

He'll feel awkward for all of 20 minutes. When he sticks one in the top corner vs City all will be forgotten.

As for the Brazil stuff, has he been dropped totally from the squad or just not selected in the 11? Either way, it's not a surprise as injured or not, he's not had any game time.

It's been reported for months that Ox wanted to play in midfield and that was his primary reason for not signing (and seemingly turning down Chelsea). Liverpool aren't going to pay him much more (if any more at all) than either Arsenal or Chelsea have offered him but he won't be playing as a wing back for us, he'll be playing in midfield.

Anyway, all the journo's that follow Liverpool are reporting that we're in talks with Arsenal now so you've got to assume either Lemar isn't happening or Coutinho's off.

£40mil for a squad player is a joke. What is the point to the ox as a footballer? What area is going to strengthen apart of the squad numbers? Just gamble it on young staralet imo.
Midfield, has European experience etc could also fill in for mane or salah (I know his quality is no where near as good) versatile.

Granted I think he is over priced but end of day it's not my personal money, klopp will likely improve him imo heck he improved Lallana quick enough

Given the way this transfer window has gone and the prices that have been paid or being touted about (£30m for a 29 year old Jonny Evans, £50m for Walker and so on) then £35-40m on Ox (who's just turned 24) isn't that expensive. What makes the deal seem more expensive is his contract situation - typically clubs were forced to accept hugely reduced fees for players going into the last year of their contract but they no longer need the money so they won't any more.

Ox clearly has ability but he's somebody that's never found a position that makes use of the attributes he has. Klopp's not going to make him technically a better player but what Klopp's great at doing is tactically improving players and getting the best out of them through changes of system and positions. Lallana in the front 3 was ok - he done you a job, he never let you down and you never walked away thinking he played poorly but he wasn't influencing games enough, scoring or creating goals. A change of system and a move back into more of a midfield role and he suddenly looks 3 times the player - the game was being played ahead of him rather than behind him and he came into his own making late runs and breaking into the box.

I said this at the back end of last season, even when I didn't believe we were in for him, I honestly believe he'll be a much better player playing in a midfield role for us than anything we've seen from him before.

edit: And as I post that twitter's erupted with reports that a deal is done. First Ox's agent tweeted that the deal was done then quickly deleted it, now Liverpool based journos are reported a £35m fee has been agreed.

Now lets see what's happening with Lemar. If we're still in for him then Coutinho must be off.

Desperate times at Arsenal when players are accepting considerably less money to leave the club.
he thinks he's going to be a regular first team pick though
I don't believe for one moment that he'd have been told or believe that. His versatility and the amount of games we're going to play will mean he'll play more than his fair share of games, particularly with Lallana out for another couple of months but the key appears to have been the position. He wants to play central midfield and that wasn't happening at Arsenal (or Chelsea) and although I'm sure he'll play games in different positions for us, primarily he'll be seen as a midfield option.

that r5L clip suggests Ox would earn more IF / Once Arsenal returned to CL.....ok as far as it goes
- Liverpool could still be paying / offering more now (ie a static base rate for CL club that doesnt change over the deal, vs a rising rate if Arsenal return to CL)?

so he could still be earning more at Liverpool right now than he would be at Arsenal right now?

( I dont really care either way, just suggesting its possible he may be on better money at Liverpool for the current season)
How is it possible Frank? They clearly say that (according to Ox's reps anyway) had he accepted Arsenal's offer, which would have been with Arsenal not in the CL, he'd have been earning more than at Liverpool. They didn't say that he'd be earning more if Arsenal get back into the CL, when his wage would rise even further.

The only thing you can read from that, assuming the info is accurate of course, is that even without CL football Arsenal are willing to pay him more than Liverpool (while in the CL) and they'd be paying him even more in the eventuality that they qualify for the CL again.

In other, more reliable news, Origi looks like being off to Wolfsburg on loan, costing them £6m for the season.
Jeez 40 million. Wish we could resell felliani to united, with baz's inflation calculator he'd be worth 150m in a week next tuesdays money!!
The formula only inflates transfer values, not Utd's stupidity.

Origi's completed his move to Wolfsburg on loan - £6m loan fee is up there with the crazy transfer fees that are going around. Reportedly we've got a recall clause for January too.

Who do City think they can rob Sanchez from Arsenal for £55 million when Pogba went for more?

Sanchez is so much better.
Because Juve were only going to receive around half of the fee therefore forcing Utd to pay more to make it worthwhile to them to sell, Pogba didn't have 1 year on his contract and wouldn't have therefore been worth £0 in a years time and because he's younger.

Back
Top Bottom