Summer Transfer Window 2017/18 - Rumours & Signings

Yeah, some sort of 2nd medical clause I would imagine is a given, I wonder if there is also a clause preventing him from playing against us in the , unlikely, event of Liverpool encountering Leipzig in the CL this season
Any clause preventing him from playing against us would be illegal. Chelsea reportedly had a clause in Courtois's loan agreement with Atletico and when they drew each other in the CL Chelsea were forced to let him play.

edit: Just double checking and the Courtois clause supposedly forced Atletico to pay Chelsea an additional fee if he played vs them but still, UEFA said it couldn't be enforced.

Oh ! I didnt realise it was illegal, thought it was quite a common thing to do. Conflict of interests and all that. Not that it matters too much, the chances of the two teams meeting in this CL is pretty remote
I believe this (re loans) only applies to UEFA and the CL. Within the Premier League it's standard practise that any player on loan can't play vs their parent club. The rule actually came about when Lua Lua scored against Newcastle when on loan from them, practically securing Liverpool's place in the CL at Newcastle's expense.

This isn't a loan deal though and even within the PL it would be against the rules to influence the selection of another sides' players.

At the end of last season when we were linked with him I said I didn't mind the prospect of signing Ox but £35m was far too much. Given the way the window has gone, £35m no longer looks that expensive.

I wonder whether Lemar is seen as an alternative to Ox. As of a couple of days ago it was reported that we were in for Ox but that Arsenal didn't want to sell him to us as they saw us as more of a direct rival than Chelsea (I have no idea if that's a compliment or insult). It's only since Arsenal reportedly ruled out selling Ox to us that we've now suddenly moved onto Lemar - I've only seen him play wide but other people are saying he could play in a central attacking midfield role.

Maybe he will be "ill" in the event of a match occurring ;)
Or better still, he plays and scores 2 own goals.

Actually that rule was very quickly changed retrospectively on the Sunday after David Moyes accidentally revealed in interview that there was an agreement between Everton and Man Utd that Tim Howard wouldn't play when they met at Goodison even though he was then fully an Everton player. This was illegal when the match was played but the PL ruling was quickly altered the next day.

Really? I always thought it was linked to Lua Lua and Newcastle.

edit: Quickly searching I found this on the Everton/Howard situation:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/may/11/newsstory.sport8

It's reporting that as part of Howard's sale (rather than loan) to Everton, Utd wanted to put a clause in that prevented him from playing against them but supposedly they were talked out of it as it was illegal. Instead a gentleman's agreement was reached and Howard didn't play.

Everton bending over for Utd? Nothing new there.

Stories coming out of Spain are still saying that Barca expect to sign Coutinho and twitter rumours of a €170m fee (£157m) but UK press are still saying he's not for sale.
Been reading stuff but from brief reading Monaco have stated no more players will be allowed to leave, us chasing Lemar now seems odd, maybe it's reaction to ox going to Chelsea who knows but strikes me as fairy tale just so FSG can say we tried style of bid.
LOL :D

I do love this sort of cynicism. Maybe you're right or maybe the club feel that Monaco could be persuaded to sell if the price is right

Greame kelly who most people regard as trustworthy has changed his profile pic to dijk in our kit so it's sent twitter nuts over dijk again
The same Graeme Kelly claimed that VvD, Keita, Ox and Sessengon (Fulham youngster) were all 100% done around 2 months ago?

I'm not sure how he found out but 2 years ago he found out that Rodgers was being sacked and he's lived off that ever since. He's constantly been wrong and yet people still believe him!!

Not a surprise if true but reportedly Monaco have ruled out selling Lemar. There's also reports that the Ox wants to move to Liverpool over Chelsea - who can blame him.

It is the same one, how people any of them is mind boggling they all just respin news off some one else put there own twist on it
I refuse to believe there are any itks around any more. Football is too big a business for morons on twitter to get genuine info.

At the very best all these so called itks get is the exact same info that the press are briefed. Take for instance the Keita news today - I actually mentioned to somebody on twitter (albeit sarcastically) that there would be news today as there wasn't the usual 10.30pm news story. After every game all the press pack will get a bit of news, no matter how small and it will break at 10.30pm that night. The fact that there was nothing last night and it being so close to deadline day, I joked that something must have been embargoed until today. A couple of big social media accounts/fake itks tweeted something about news tomorrow and now they claim they knew all about it. If they knew they'd have told the world rather that put out some cryptic **** - all they knew, at best, was a story had been embargoed.

Well... I maybe right fsg just trying to look good haha

Ox I still think would be a good rotation player the fee we'll it just average these days
Because they get a far easier time bidding for a player that we don't end up signing? 99% of the **** our owners get is unjustified but when people come out with this sort of stuff it's just funny. Given all the criticism they get there is not a chance in hell that the club will openly advertise the fact they want a player that we're not going to sign because they're just going to get dogs abuse for it.

Anyway on Lemar, Paul Joyce is reporting that Monaco want closer to €100m (£92m) for him and that a cash + Origi deal is the most likely way a deal will happen.

Prior to Solanke joining I'd say we needed Origi. Now? Not so much. If anything I'd say he's behind him now.

Yea, Solanke has shown enough to push himself ahead of Origi in the pecking order. In an ideal world you'd keep him as 4th choice and move Ings on but Origi's not going to be happy with that and you can't blame him. Playing only 1 striker, Origi's going to find game time more than limited - you only have to see that he's not even made the last 2 squads.

At £90m Lemar is very very expensive and unless we get a massive valuation for Origi I can't see us doing a deal at those levels but a striker out and another wide player in makes a lot of sense for us.

The whole thing seems weird. A few journalists and papers are reporting we want the Ox or Lemar before the transfer window shuts which suggests one's a backup to the other. That makes sense until you think about Klopp wanting his first choice targets or no one else.

I think this is something that got lost in translation. Klopp was asked whether Liverpool would sign players he doesn't want - Klopp's answer was of course they won't sign players he doesn't want and that any player we sign will be plan A. I watched the press-conference where this was said and I'm certain when he said plan A, he wasn't referring to specific players but specific type of players - he wouldn't sign a midfielder for the sake of buying a midfielder, it had to be a particular type of player.
Is Joyce usual accurate? If we're offering origi to Monaco we must have got some encouragement from them to pursue this, however I'd of suspected they would just want cash

Joyce covers Liverpool & Everton for the Times - I wouldn't say he gets any more info than anybody else but his info is coming from Liverpool. And to be clear, I'm not sure Joyce was saying we've offered that but simply saying that if a deal was to happen that's the only way he could see it happening. In other words, in his opinion, it was unlikely that we'd pay that sort of fee straight off and it would need to involve some sort of swap deal.

Likely to be fake? I might have to ban you in a minute Mark. A doctor is not going to reply to an email to a random kid on twitter confirming Liverpool have got 3 medicals booked! :D

At first I thought it was rubbish because it's John Cross but every other news outlet has picked it up so there must be some truth in it.

The fume from Arsenal fans would be hilarious.
The Sterling part of the deal is seemingly true but I seriously doubt they're offering anything like £50m cash too. In this mad world we're in Sterling is probably still worth the £50m City paid which would value Sanchez at £100m - no matter how good he is, at his age and with 1 year on his contract that's never happening.

It sounds like Arsenal want Aguero. If Arsenal signed Aguero and a couple of other good players it could transform them.
I want Messi and Suarez as part of any Coutinho deal too. Surely there's no chance Aguero would move to Arsenal, not this summer anyway.

Interesting to see that Neymar's already planning for PSG getting banned by UEFA. He's reportedly told Coutinho not to join Barca - he obviously wants to link up with Coutinho at Liverpool next summer. Not sure he'd get in our side ahead of Mane though.
The only reason I could see it being discussed is because I don't think Pep rates him that highly, and he's desperate for Sanchez. I actually think Pep would prefer Sterling to Aguero... :o

But as you say, Arsenal aren't in a good place at the moment, and they just spent £52m on Lacazette, Wenger would have to look at playing 442 and I can't see that either.

Oh I don't doubt that Pep isn't 100% convinced about Aguero and said as much recently but I was talking about what Aguero would want - why would he move to Arsenal? He'll still be be an important part of City's squad if he stays, will get paid more, be in the CL and more likely to win things compared to Arsenal. And surely if he were to be allowed to leave there'd be other clubs interested that could offer more than Arsenal on all those points too.

Why are City trying to sign Jonny Evans? He is a United reject.

Is he that good?

I love the fact that you've not questioned why Arsenal are in for him :D Utd reject is good enough for you but not City? :p

Been out for an hour and come back to twitter full of talk that Coutinho's off to Barca for close to £150m. I said it would take a massive offer to persuade us to sell but I genuinely didn't believe Barca would pay this much, assuming it's true of course.

Back
Top Bottom