Sunday roast condiments

Caporegime
Last week a Facebook post by a friend made me seriously re-evaluate our friendship when I spotted that he had ketchup on his roast beef dinner. Such abominations have no place in the civilised world.

It got me thinking about whether my own choices of condiments were right or if I indeed was making some terrible mistakes. The way I see it is this. The following foods belong with the following things:

Beef - Horseradish or mustard
Lamb - Mint Sauce
Chicken and Turkey - Cranberry or mustard
Pork and Gammon - Mustard or apple sauce
Nut roast - The bin

I obviously have a nice dash of salt and pepper and while there is no place for ketchup, I do enjoy a splash of brown sauce with my roast.

I haven't mentioned gravy as that is surely a given on any form of roast dinner.

Are my choices the correct way to go or am I missing any superior choices? Whats your particular fave?

Associate
The choices you listed are classic for a reason but trying new things is great.

Made soubise the other day for chicken and it was pretty good.

Beef - gravy or mushroom ketchup
Lamb - pomegranate
Chicken - lemon or tomato ketchup
Pork - rhubarb or gooseberry.

Soldato
You can't start a thread bashing someone for having ketchup on their roast and then say you use brown sauce! That's just as bad.

Your choices otherwise are fine, redcurrant with lamb is a notable omission though.

Soldato
They all impact the flavour of the things being consumed, and are arguably unnecessary with appropriately seasoned and flavorful cooking, so they're all equally acceptable/abhorrent.

Definitely ketchup. And that means Heinz.

Back
Top Bottom