Sunday roast condiments

Soldato
Last week a Facebook post by a friend made me seriously re-evaluate our friendship when I spotted that he had ketchup on his roast beef dinner. Such abominations have no place in the civilised world.

It got me thinking about whether my own choices of condiments were right or if I indeed was making some terrible mistakes. The way I see it is this. The following foods belong with the following things:

Beef - Horseradish or mustard
Lamb - Mint Sauce
Chicken and Turkey - Cranberry or mustard
Pork and Gammon - Mustard or apple sauce
Nut roast - The bin

I obviously have a nice dash of salt and pepper and while there is no place for ketchup, I do enjoy a splash of brown sauce with my roast.

I haven't mentioned gravy as that is surely a given on any form of roast dinner.

Are my choices the correct way to go or am I missing any superior choices? Whats your particular fave?

Beef = Horseradish
Lamb = Fresh mint sauce
No fruit with poultry.
Pork as a roast should be illegal.

Soldato
so is Waitrose ketchup ## the one to get .. above heinz anyway ? .. that's what was on the tv last night
(supershoppers ... amongst a load of garbage about glasses if anyone saw it)

I keep meaning to load up an identikit for what the horseradish plant looks like . for countryside walks .. image receognition on the phone would be good
(thats nostaligic from childhood, also learned the other day that is a significant ingrediant of wasabi too)
Mint sauce is a bit easier to make at home.

edit ## apparently 1/3 price of heinz

so is Waitrose ketchup ## the one to get .. above heinz anyway ? .. that's what was on the tv last night
(supershoppers ... amongst a load of garbage about glasses if anyone saw it)

I keep meaning to load up an identikit for what the horseradish plant looks like . for countryside walks .. image receognition on the phone would be good
(thats nostaligic from childhood, also learned the other day that is a significant ingrediant of wasabi too)
Mint sauce is a bit easier to make at home.

edit ## apparently 1/3 price of heinz

Fake wasabi uses horseraddish as we know it, its the same family of plant however so the similarities are obvious to most

I grow horseraddish at my allotment, its a vigorous plant once its got going and as its a rhyzone type plant very difficult to get rid of once you have some.

The cheapest and easiest place I found to source a root was Wilko. ONly like £2 or something, but have to be careful its a good one, those sorts of thing can hang around in wilko and you can end up with a dud.
Processing horseraddish is not to be underestimated in its risk! If you blend it in a food processor you basically weaponise it so need really good ventilation actually outside is preferred!, the longer you leave it the hotter it gets, you add vinegar to stop the reaction

If you really like it try to grow some in a tub to keep it from spreading

Soldato
Fake wasabi uses horseraddish as we know it, its the same family of plant however so the similarities are obvious to most

I grow horseraddish at my allotment, its a vigorous plant once its got going and as its a rhyzone type plant very difficult to get rid of once you have some.

The cheapest and easiest place I found to source a root was Wilko. ONly like £2 or something, but have to be careful its a good one, those sorts of thing can hang around in wilko and you can end up with a dud.
Processing horseraddish is not to be underestimated in its risk! If you blend it in a food processor you basically weaponise it so need really good ventilation actually outside is preferred!, the longer you leave it the hotter it gets, you add vinegar to stop the reaction

If you really like it try to grow some in a tub to keep it from spreading

Think I will try growing some. Love the stuff.

That's what we do. It's great having proper horseradish available.

Neighbours at a previous house made the mistake of planting it straight into their veg patch and it all but took over the place.

Was thinking to go and check my crop properly this weekend, its been really heavy on leaves all summer which are slowly starting to die back now.
You can freeze it as well, best to grate first, although I think technically it lives forever under ground.

Think I will try growing some. Love the stuff.

Yeah its well worth doing, as I said Wilko first if you don't know anyone who grows it, if you do/can find someone then just ask for a root. Will probably take 2 years in reality from a tiny bit to having enough to use.
Then you need to balance growing speed vs what you will consume.
Actually suddenly thought to check ebay, something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254145934602 looks good value but P&P a bit steep so try Wilko first if your price sensitive

Back
Top Bottom