Sunday Times to investigate OLED Screen Burn Issues

Associate
Is under warranty with RS.
Small amount of burn but mine has has a black screen flashing and pink screen problem.
I guess that's potentially a bigger fix then than just replacing the panel. Maybe there are problems with the drive electronics? Still not sure though how the repair is so much.

Update today, RS have kindly offered to collect the screen and do with as they please - meaning they will take it away and walk away.
So are they compensating you in anyway?

Associate
TV dropped off today. No much said by RS.

To be honest, I’m glad to be done with it. At some point over the weekend I’ll be headin to Costco to make a new purchase. For those reading, I just hope my experience puts you off going to RS. I could have been unlucky I guess - caught them in a bad month.

Soldato
I guess that's potentially a bigger fix then than just replacing the panel. Maybe there are problems with the drive electronics? Still not sure though how the repair is so much.

So are they compensating you in anyway?

When I sent my 55b7v off , it came back making a strange noise. Called lg back up and they took it back. Had a power board issue. Which they replaced at no extra cost.

Associate
I have an issue on my 2017 55c7v. Noticed colour issues from about 2.5 years old. Contacted LG and they basically washed their hands of it. I also have lines running up the screen.

Soldato
I don't understand how people can say things like "my opinion is that it's not an issue from 2018". Of course there are fewer reported cases on newer models because they're newer. It's not that hard to grasp.

Soldato
I don't understand how people can say things like "my opinion is that it's not an issue from 2018". Of course there are fewer reported cases on newer models because they're newer. It's not that hard to grasp.

This is what you get from OLED cultists though. Burn-in clearly is/was an issue because they actively having to take steps to prevent it.

Soldato
See I'm tempted to replace my main lcd with a 65 cx (I want the 77, but "apparently" that's too big:p). So tempting as they're pretty cheap and on interest free for less than 100 per month.

Associate
@panthro Lol if you think thats bad i can beat that.
Like yours i also have the Netflix logo and it sure is not because i leave it on the menu screen forever.

Soldato
@panthro Lol if you think thats bad i can beat that.
Like yours i also have the Netflix logo and it sure is not because i leave it on the menu screen forever.
My screensaver has always been set to come on after a minute of inactivity so I find it extremely odd.
The subtitle marks are unsurprising though as my household watch everything with subtitles as my wifes first language isn't English.

Soldato
Bumping this a bit, my C7 OLED has developed quite a bit of burn in (on top of vertical lines in low grey scenes) and I called Curry's and they honored the 5 year warranty. To be collected tomorrow. So we shall see if they replace panel, offer a voucher or deny a problem! Obviously hoping for a voucher but would be happy with a screen replacement. Will keep the thread updated.

Associate
Bumping this a bit, my C7 OLED has developed quite a bit of burn in (on top of vertical lines in low grey scenes) and I called Curry's and they honored the 5 year warranty. To be collected tomorrow. So we shall see if they replace panel, offer a voucher or deny a problem! Obviously hoping for a voucher but would be happy with a screen replacement. Will keep the thread updated.

I'd be curious to see how Currys respond as I bought my E9 from them and got 5 year warranty too.

The only thing that was a pain was confirming it even had 5 years, it said it on the advert but the team knowhow staff had no idea. Managed to supposedly resolve it but time will tell if I need to make a claim and they tell me there's no warranty.

I've been fortunate in not suffering from screen burn but I do (to the shock of many) run pixel refresh every night.

Soldato
The rep was on hold for a good 10 mins, before she came back and confirmed the 5 year warranty. Don't know but got the impression they may have had this question a few times. I got no documentation regarding the 5 year guarantee when I bought it online but do know that the original guarantee doesn't mention burn in so if it did get.....legal. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Again hoping for a voucher but will be happy with just a screen replacement as it is still a very impressive screen.

Associate
The rep was on hold for a good 10 mins, before she came back and confirmed the 5 year warranty. Don't know but got the impression they may have had this question a few times. I got no documentation regarding the 5 year guarantee when I bought it online but do know that the original guarantee doesn't mention burn in so if it did get.....legal. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Again hoping for a voucher but will be happy with just a screen replacement as it is still a very impressive screen.

Yeah it's weird that you get nothing confirming the 5 year warranty. All it said was 5 years on the website listing.

Currys have got a bit of a bad rep but the first TV I had suffered from terrible uniformity and they were out the following day with a replacement that they swapped over at the doorstep.

Not many retailers would have provided that service so quick.

I have had other issues with them though, if you order online god help you if you need to cancel the order, you can't do it on the website and when you call they tell you it's too late.

Soldato
Interesting thread. I do think OLED is still not suited for do anything with it. We just watch streamed TV and films. No news or sport channels logos, no gaming and it's not left paused for long periods. I think for our use, evening viewing, dimmed lighting they are ideal. I wouldn't recommend one for anyone with kids or household members that don't have an awareness of the technology. The picture is fantastic though, Sony A80J. Fingers crossed we get no issues, got a long warranty on it though.

Soldato
Hi all,

Stumbled across this thread whilst looking for recommendations for a new 65"" TV in this section of the forums. I've been looking at various makes/models including LG and Samsung as there seem to be some decent deals around right now. But I had no idea at all that screen burn was an issue with OLED. I'm not very 'in the loop' with the latest TV tech so I'm not really sure what things to look for - does screen burn affect QLED also?

Back
Top Bottom