Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Man of Honour
This is quite a long read, and I won't appreciate TLDR comments and will take it as a breach of forum rules. If you can't be arsed, don't bother. :)

There has been a lot of heated exchanges between some members about supplements (please let us keep names and supps of the "natural" kind :)), whether they be protein powder, amino acids, fish oils or other such products such as antioxidants, adaptogens and so on.

This is my view and my opening bid for this discussion.

Protein powder: I think that once you have a good diet well established and I mean an honest good diet if you're training hard enough that your body requires the extra protein then I think it's perfectly sensible to supplement your body with extra protein. This is especially true if you play intensive sports such as rugby for example where your body gets injured and requires extra healing - whereas protein isn't a magic cure, your muscles depend on the amino acid content of the protein to help regenerate muscle tissue.

Furthermore if you are vegetarian it's a fantastic way of getting cheap extra protein in your body, that meat eaters would get a lot more easily from their day to day diet.

However, I tend to take shakes on days I train to give myself a spike, the whole bank holiday for example I wasn't training and not once did I touch a shake or any supps bar some fish oils. However I did eat accordingly, well it was BBQ weather after all! :D

Essential Amino acids: possibly more important than protein itself as the human body does not store excess amino acids for later use, and as such the protein synthesis won't be as powerful or efficient and the nitrogen balance will be impared. Sounds all a bit gobbledegook doesn't it? Well essentially your body cannot synthesis these amio acids, therefore you need to ensure you get them in their "raw" format in your diet. The name "essential" means exactly that, they are needed by your body as your body cannot "create" them from other strings in your body.

Does this mean you should buy lots of EEAs? No. Not at all. However, from my experience when I have added them to my diet, I have noticed a reduction in DOMs, and longevity in training and faster recovery. A lot of protein shakes have a good amino acid profile anyway so it's not always necessary. You can get a lot of amino acids through diet, but that's where a very varied diet comes in. Having chicken, tuna, eggs, and spinach EVERY day is not going to do you any good.

Other amino acids: such as OKG etc... OKG in particular I have had very positive results from. Does this mean it should be used? No not really, it's bloody expensive for a start, and whilst it clearly (no psuedo science BS) increases anabolic proterties within your body it's too expensive to be a necessary supplement for me, but also isn't required or isn't that important for day to day life. There is a big list of other amino acids, again most of them are found in a protein powder of good quality but some stand alone as completely non-standard in terms of diet, and probably why they have such a decent influence in the correct doses. However, again, it's expensive, and unnecessary for most people, to bar the high end atheletes which none of us are.

Creatine: the longest used/researched supp. There's a lot of debate about this one - which one to go for, which one works, some dont' work for some etc... Creatine works by pulling the water from outside the muscle cells - inside and thus allowing the muscle to exert a higher level of contractile force. It basically helps fuel muscles. This basically means you will be able to lift more weight during your workouts. I have to admit I havent' really "felt" I have got much of out creatines - but I know when I have been supplementing with it in the past, it probably did help but it's not like a cup of coffee where you "feel" the caffeine kicking in. Plain fact is, if you have a decent amount of red meat in your diet you probably have enough creatine in your body. However, there are a lot of non-pseudo bits of research on it. It's up to you to decide whether or not it works for you.

Adaptogens: these are my favourite by a long shot and I do use these from time to time. The reasons I like them is because they are 100% natural, extract typicaly from plants. These are really helpful for things such as reducing stress, improving mood and focus and energy and potentially reduce cortisol levels. Things like gingseng, cissus, rhodiola rosea, reservatrol etc... Pretty much all adaptogens are nigh on impossible to get into your daily diet and hence why I feel they have such a powerful effect on people with a healthy diet. It's a bit hippy I guess, but these are one of the few sort of supps I do rant about.

Fish oils: The popular one. We all know that our diets have difference immensley since the time we were first created as beings. Fish used to be staple is now a "luxury" for most people. The amount of fish oils and general EFAs (EHA DPA etc..) in our diets has shrunk considerably. There are soe many good effects from EHA DPAs in our diet that to me it seems daft not to have them in it. I do buy a fair bit of fish, but I admit my tastes have got used to having, lamb, beef, chicken etc.. as well, so fish is not always on the menu and whilst other foodstuffs contain the omegas and other EFAs we need it seems daft that such a good supplement for you (there are no bad connotations unless you take them by excess, but then what's new?!).

Some of the reasons why I feel supplementation can be sensible is because from what I've read, and from personal experience in the world I live in, m odern diets are short of adequate daily nutritional requirements. Some nutrient deficiencies can make us prone to certain ailments, potentiall obesity and disease. Supps can help to overcome the negative effects of poor eating habits - but that's a key point, you should sort out your poor eating habits first rather than cover it up by loading your body full of supplements.

Ultimately what supps do is to helps fill the gaps that food doesn't provide
Modern agriculture suffers from depleted soils, excessive use of pesticides and also the refining processes lower nutrient content in foods - hence why I try and buy unrefined goods as much as I can - close to impossible now though. It could be argued that supps are refined, but then they are not foods are they? It's a tough one to accept I guess. I also read in the news realtively recently that a sample of green beans I think it was, were actually close to 20% short of nutrient content that it should be!!! After a bit of research it seems that a lot of veg and fruit are shy of their full nutritional content - I didn't look too much into meat, but from what I've seen other than injecting meats with water and meat proteins they still hold some value, but the quality of the meats can be brought into question - leading onto whether or not you believe that good quality meats contain more nutrition - from a taste perspective, an independently farmed chicken tastes miles better - and I have taste tested it blind folded. Seriously try it. A friend of mine who is a chef did the same with eggs. I cooked him eggs 3 ways, from 3 different types, caged, organic free range (supermarket), and a local farm that you go and pick your own eggs within hours of being hatched. Poached, fried, and scrambled. He got the caged egg right every time. He got the organic/free range egg and the "real" egg, wrong once where he got the poached one the wrong way round.

Another thing that kills nutrient contents in food is the processing, transporting and storing foods. Supps with high quality plant enzymes, whole food vitamins and chelated minerals can help to replace the vital nutrients that arent' present in modern diets, but again it's not entirely necessary if you buy good quality foods as best you can.

One thing that happens a lot and is hard to avoid are chemically treated foods which can lead to all sorts of things such as allergies, dysfunctions etc... Also modern lifestyle can have a huge effect on our bodies and food sources, though I don't necessarily believe that things like EM waves, microwaves etc.. can be that damaging, but again, it's something to consider. I'm just trying to give a rounded all point opinion. :)

I think as a race we are far more stressed than we used to be and as such, stress can compromise bodily function and can deplete vital nutrients. Also people are taking more and more "pills" to overcome their stresses, whether they be analgesics, contraceptive pills etc... They all affect our bodies... But what's new? Is that an excuse to supplement, or just try and chill out more, look after your health more? You decide. I vote for the former - but I agree it is hard to relax sometimes.

So should supps be regarded in the same way as taking pills to manage your day? Tough one... I say no, but I don't take pills and I don't take a million supps every day so I can't tell. However, I know for fact that more people die every year through the uses of prescription drugs so although those are also researched and tested, they still can cause side effects etc.. so it could be deemed that taking any extra stuff into your body might not be doing your body any good as it stresses the body out potentially? However, a lot of the supplements are natural, and available in your daily diet, so why would they be harmful? Unlike prescription drugs or other over the counter solutions they are chemicals that actually interfere with your body and it's hormones (the pill, head ache tablets, anti allergens etc...). So it's a tough call. I'm not enough of an expert to tell you what to think on that one.

So to summarise, I have some minor reasons that I believe supplementation can be good, or worthwhile, taking into considering your whole lifestyle, diet has been evaluated and honestly analysed are:

To correct nutritional deficiencies either through diet choice (vegetarianism etc...) or owing to allergies to some foods containing useful and important nutrients. Or through poor foods being available to you.

To replenish what is missing in your foods (vitamins, minerals, enzymes, flora, and antioxidants). Again this should be an honest analysis, are you doing the best you can to get all the nutrients in as part of your diet?

To provide your body with the nutrition necessary to combat today’s environmental stresses. This is one I do believe can be helped, I'm a big fant of adaptogens as I mentioned earlier and natural plant extracts and teas can really help give you a boost in this area.

To meet the higher nutritional needs of your lifestyle choice. If you're into lots of sports and bodybuilding etc... you are potentially pushing your body beyond the enveloppe of what your nutrition can offer you - again this is down to an individual to analyse whether or not he/she falls into that category.

This is contentious, and I'm not sure I personally believe this but there is talk that it could potentially help decrease your risk of chronic & degenerative diseases... but surely that would be part of a healthy lifestyle choice more than supplementation?

I personally believe we an overfed and undernourished society. Our deficiencies have been created by our “modern” society and diet which cause the body to be more prone to certain things such as: viruses, disease, infections, obesity, allergies, headaches, stress, strokes, a weak immune system, to name a few. Look at the nation now... we have more obesity than ever before, we have more asthma as allergic sufferers (fish, milk, wheat, nuts etc...). A hundred years ago, unfortunately such people would probably have passed away, in a way we've been cheating death. I personally believe that modern science and medicine has hidden the dangers of our poor lifestyles.

Today’s “modern” diet does not provide enough of the nutrients we need - for the average person, though I reckon a lot of us in this fitness/BB game probably punch above our weight in terms of lifestyle and diet. I doubt more than a handful of the population get their "5 a day". People's diets in general are too high in fat, sugar, sodium, and saturated fat, and doesn’t provide enough vitamins, minerals or fibre to meet our nutritional needs.

Ultimately you need to be honest to yourself. It's your money, and is it your subconscious telling you it's working? Or is it REALLY working? No one can judge that. I, personally, have had a mixed thought on some of these supps, some have greatly helped and have had a positive influence, others I can take or leave. One thing I will still and always be a fan of are natural extracts (root, vegetable etc...) that are hard to get in your daily diet and help enhance a GOOD DIET, rather than REPLACE it. Some supps can work synergistically with your diet and body, but dont' expect miracles and RESEARCH!!! It's the most important thing. There have been some very very in depth studies on some of these supps, and others have been very weak.

Ultimately these products exist because people have researched them and have believed that the body requires extra boost. I also believe that modern diets are poor, even if we do the best we can - so whilst I'm anti loading yourself with every supp under the sun for the sake of it, I believe there are uses for them and they can help.

In conclusion, supps have their place in modern society. They certainly have their place if your diet is poor. They also have a place if you're pushing your body beyond it's normal capacity. It is plain fact that some of them can, and do, help regenerate your body, improve well being and help you life a healthier lifestyle. However, I would choose to try and live that lifestyle minus supps as much as possible, to minimise the supps you need to take. Not because they are bad per se, but a) they're expensive b) you can get the nurtients you need by eating well, c) understand what's causing you to be ill/run-down etc... Address the root cause of the problem is often more important than the peripheral causes - sure a short term solution may help, but if you don't get to the root of it, it'll just start to grow again.

Man of Honour
OP
If your diet is poor so called "supplements" will do nothing. If you are trying to get to your peak, certain things to make sure you aren't lacking in can help, but if putting on weight, you're likely eating more food than normal and already a higher intake of nutrients and vitamins anyway. Again I go back to the one real situation to make sure you aren't lacking nutrients, is losing weight when you're taking in less food than normal.

I agree with this.

Though as you stated modern diets ARE crap - therefore adding extra nutrients it to balance it out, is it a waste of time or not?

I'm not defending either the use or the lack of use, I'm genuinely interested in hearing people's thoughts.

Personally I think whey has it's place for a lot of reasons - certainly for you as you're a veggie. I agree about EAAs etc..

Man of Honour
OP
Oli - that's the whole point of this thread is to spark a debate. I seldom use vitamin supps etc... I just have a good diet, but I do use whey and fish oils and herbal-type of supps which work for me - it's going to be an independent thing.

As for the FSA study, I trust it about as far as I could throw it, which all things considered would be pretty far, but you get my meaning.

I'm opening up the debate to include presumptions, conjecture and theorising. I also don't believe all the sales pitches supp companies do. I've used myself as a bit of a guinea pig over the years of my training to evaluate the results, and keeping as much other factors constant (i.e. diet, sleep, exercises performed etc...) - not very scientific maybe but that's all I can base some of my expeirences on... on what... erm, I've experienced! :D Now, my cholesterol, blood pressure and visceral fat has decreased to what my doc said was very healthy levels, blood tests were good, I could be a bit fitter, but my recovery is pretty good nonetheless, though my cortisol levels are a little higher than I'd like, and I have a little bit of stubborn fat around the sides. Now I've always been healthy, having a multinational family and upbringing, and being brought up with exquisite foods and wonderful cultures around me I was exposed to a lot of wonderful lifestyles - I was very lucky I admit... however my adult life has been predominantly based in the UK, except in my last job where I spent my life living out of a suitcase.... whilst I didn't get fat, and I did some exercise to keep fit, I wasn't THAT fit or had the physique I wanted (I was just around 82kg or so), though I ate very well, and I've never had a sweet tooth, or enjoyed vices such as smoking and drinking. Since being based in the UK, my diet has improved as I've learned more about this game, my exercise has increased (taken up rugby and squash again) and I'm tipping the scales at 100kg or so, as well as being in a good state according to my doc. Now, I can't prove if that's purely down to what I eat (I still don't drink (maybe 1/2 dozen units a month) and don't smoke) or the bodybuilding/powerlifting training I've been doing, or whether it's the whole package supps and all. My lifestyle is not bad now - I could do with more sleep, but couldn't we all? I was theorising and decided to share my ramblings and open up the debate. :)

As for the quality of foods, well I base my personal experience from having been around the world a million times and tasted various foods. So again not scientific - I was making suggestions however to trigger a debate. For example biting into a tomato in Cyprus your mouth is filled with so much flavour that it's quite a sensory overload. Here in this country, you bite into a tomato and you get a wet mouth with hardly any flavour - that surely must mean something in terms of quality no? But I am an absolute food snob.

Just in case you DIDN'T realise, I'm not advocating or supporting the use of supps, as I'm very much in the mind that if you eat well, good food, well sourced and keep away from refined, mass produced, cheap and manufactured foods you're likely to get more than enough nutrients than you need.

However I'm suggesting, that in some cases some supps are worth looking into, and some are just marketing hype, and drew on personal experiences.

I think there's enough evidence for and against modern farming methods, and so on to give a balanced argument, ultimately it's what you convince yourself of. A lot of good physical health is down to good mental health too. :)

Hey it's cool if you don't like supplements, I'm right with you. It's cool if you're happy with different quality foods, you're alive, healthy and doing well. I'm not telling people what to eat or not to eat, I'm triggering ideas.

I still believe that modern lifestyles, diets, and stresses and strains of the world do us no good and do our bodies no good. Then again how can I run a test on myself since I've already lived all this life and couldn't do it fairly again? ;) However I am a hypocrite as I live this modern lifestyle - but without the modern lifestyle mantra. I don't think I';ve ever been stressed in my life :p

I don't know if 2 people with the same diet, same genes and same calories whether or not the supplemented one would achieve more results - my guess is, there's a good chance he would - however, by how much? I doubt it would be HUGELY visible, but for the money - definitely not worth it. Why would the supps (and I'm talking about the actual researched ones used in medicine as we speak) not give a boost?

I'm not saying my sentiments are correct, I'm not saying i have the answers, but I wanted to have one place to discuss all of this. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Ok, you clearly know more about this than me, so I will bow out at this point and go read the paper you linked. However, I know what's best in my mouth (don't even think about it), and that's what matters most to me :)

Couldn't agree more. Furthermore, mental stimulus promotes dopamine release and boosts your immune response, ergo making you feel better and therefore promoting your well being. Which in turn is better for you as it reduces cortisol levels. It's win win really :D

Man of Honour
OP
Organic food does not contain any more nutrients than conventionally grown products. This has been proven.

Some people just want to believe in science fiction rather than science fact.

Fact or not, I use my own taste buds to tell me what I like - whilst I agree it's hard to tell the difference in a supermarket supplied stock, however the difference in quality of meat from a butcher vs a packaged slice of meat in a supermarket is HUGELY different for me in terms of taste.

We've become a lazy race - accepting 2nd best, and taxing those who can afford it buy putting a premium on higher quality goods.

Please tell me, that if you had the choice for the same price, or even for free, of having eggs from a thousand caged chickens eating and wlaking on their own **** everyday, vs one from your backgarden in a nice environment that you wouldn't choose the one from your garden?! If not, then you're bonkers!

Just like fish caught on a line and eaten within hours tastes SO much better than packaged and chilled fish.

Maybe farming or "organic" foods don't affect the nutritonal content, but I know that when living in other countries my body composition, the food enjoyment, and the feeling I get from the diet I have in those places blows all this mass produced crap out of the window. To me that's more than enough evidence to me that mass produced = crap and locally produced = good.

I don't give a **** about "scientific" studies as they don't mean **** as they skew the results to say exactly what they want to say. So you can throw as much garbage in terms of "fact" to me, but I simply know how/what food stuffs are good for me. I don't need science to prove things to me, I rely on how I feel and how I am :)

Benny,

I use minimal supps, but do use them as you do, to try and alleviate prohibitive costs. AS much as I'd love to buy high quality foods all the time, I can't always afford it - but it's hard when you're a food snob like me :D I think using certain subs can work in synergie with your body and your diet - if you do it right. Spending several hundreds of pounds a month on food whilst I love the food, does hurt a little as I like my toys and holidays too!

Oh and incidently I find that EEAs tend to be more useful as a sup as whey tends to contain enough BCAA profiles typically. However owing to the cost and sheer horrid taste I haven't used EEAs for a while now - when taken with food and pre/post workout it does help with recovery and protein absorbption - and just completes the amino profile of the whey you take. Though I don't feel the need for them anymore, my diet has improved since I used to take them and whilst they would help the cost isn't justifiable to me.

I think if I lived somewhere where fresh fish was more readily available (i.e. the Med) I'd probably drop the fish oils. I've never seen the point in vitamin supps as I get more than enough in my diet. Adaptogens (i.e. herbal based supps) have been used by all sorts of doctors, monks and so on for millenia and the fact that they do exactly what the (wait for it!) SCIENTIFIC STUDIES :eek: :eek: also state, I see no reason not to take them - and furthermore they are just herbal remedies which again work in synergie with your body and diet. If you cycle 'em they're really effective. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Indeed - the lay person doesn't usually understand the point of em though and thinks of them as some kind of instant-muscle add. I think the reason most people consume whey is the sheer convenience - you can take a shake in to work to have between meals but it's not always convenient to prepare some chicken or tuna the night before.

Couldn't agree more :)

We all try and prepare meals etc... but sometimes life gets in the way... as much as I'd love to have everything ready all the time, as much as I love the gym and eating well, you sometimes have to accept compromise. Whey shakes are a good compromise - pretty healthy too if taken as part of a good diet too.

Man of Honour
OP
Sod it, I'm going to eat only supplements for the rest of my life, and never touch real food again! :D :p Heck it's all processed and no one has died from it - it'll be fiiiiiiiine.

Man of Honour
OP
Sorry, i was just having a bit of fun, which seemed appropriate at the time after you just stated you didn't give a **** about facts. Its like putting your fingers in your ears and whistling :p

The links that oli has kindly provided are are worth reading mate.

I've read them, they are interesting, but they don't prove anything to me. :)

I guess it's each to their own. I wasn't trying to prove him or anyone else wrong, I was just stating my preference and how I feel. Maybe it's psychological maybe it's fact - there's just not enough evidence for me to believe that the food I get in the Med and other countries is just as good as the food we get from mass manufactured here.

I admit, that for cost reasons we have no choice otherwise foods would become prohibitive in terms of cost. However, surely that means that growing things cheaply and in mass produced manner is inferior no? Flavour for me is the most important thing.

Anyway we're straying off the subject of supplements - though I'm happy we have some "experts" here who have sparked a debate, that's what a forum is about, but I don't do debates, I'm too stubborn, I have my point of view and I never change it. :) I've read more than enough literature from leading experts in all sorts of fields to make me believe them just as much as I'd believe what oli and others are saying - but I've read both sides of them and I stand on the side of the fence that I stand on because that's what I believe. :) I don't have to prove my point of view to anyone, but I can quite happily say I disagree with other people's opinions without stating my own - it's just the way I am. Irrational, Mediterranean, stubborn and as strong as an ox (read that as stubborn as a mule) :p

Man of Honour
OP
Aha! The enigma that is being away from *home*. You see I don't see the UK as "home" so to speak as I've lived a little everywhere growing up. So it's strange...

I think a your mind has a lot to do with it. I reckon it's a psychological trick, I think your happy hormones (dopamine seratonin etc...) tend to be higher, your cortisol levels lower, and hjence your sense of well being tends to be higher and as such are able to appreciate more? I don't know. It's interesting. I think mood has a lot to do with it as well. Possibly a break from normality too?

The thing is when living in the Med a few years back, I, like you, had an incredible sense of well being. I think in general the food IS better, ergo your body struggles less, the wine is good, the beer is lighter and less gassy, the women are tanned and exotic, the atmosphere is more laid back, and whilst we expect everything done here and now and in big quantities, things happen slower but with more passion and care?

It's a good question - and I think it ties in with the supplement conversation a little, as you're effectively possibly making your body do the supplementation owing your psychological state and perhaps purely owing to the food being better too? I honestly don't know - but it happens ALL The time, and hence can't just be a coincidence surely?

Man of Honour
OP
So, the best supplements are:

Sun
Sea
Happy pretty girls/people
Being away from home

Excellent - well I'm off to Cyprus in 2 weeks so that's me sorted, I'll come back like Arnie! :D

Man of Honour
OP
Benny, here's some stuff I've found about BCAAs and EAAs:

cant make my mind up wheter to buy 500g of eaa's or bcaa's which do you rate more?

"-BCAAs do not increase protein synthesis above basal levels, but they do decrease protein breakdown. They are very benificial while cutting and even may increase fat loss then. BCAAs seem to be the perfect supplement to use for people as a "midnight shake". It only gives you a few kcals. (20 kcal. since 5g will probably suffice) so you don't need to be afraid to gain fat mass compared to a midnight protein shake.

-**EAAs do increase protein synthesis above basal levels. This is what you want to use pre/post workout to increase muscle growth.

WHY BCAA'S FOR RECOVERY:
A) bcaas prevent protein breakdown, but do not increase protein synthesis.
B) Helps in fat loss while cutting.
C) Prevents a decrease in glutamine
D) Prevents muscle damage.

1)It is known that BCAA oxidation is promoted by exercise
2)Promotion of fatty acid oxidation upregulates the BCAA catabolism
3) 77 mg BCAAs/kg supplementation before exercise results in a large decrease in release of EAA, (531 +/- 70 mumol/kg) for BCAA vs. (924 +/- 148 mumol/kg) for control.
4) A cutting diet high in BCAAs increases body weight loss and % of fat loss more than a calorie restricted high protein cutting diet alone.
5)No toxic effects of BCAAs were observed at a dose of 2.5 g /kg for 3 mo or 1.25 g /kg for 1 y. There are no reports concerning BCAA toxicity in relation to exercise and sports at these levels.

***BCAAs prevent protein breakdown, but do not increase protein synthesis.

-Since 1978 a variety of studies have been performed in humans where BCAAs or leucine alone was administrated in varying amounts and durations. An anabolic effect of leucine and the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) on reduction of muscle protein breakdown was found in these studies, with no measured effect upon muscle protein synthesis. In addition, no untoward effects have been reported in any of these studies from infusion of the BCAAs at upward 3 times basal flux or 6 times normal dietary intake during the fed portion of the day.

-BCAA infusion in 10 post absorptive normal subjects causes a 4-fold rise in arterial BCAA levels. Plasma insulin levels were unchanged from basal levels. Whole-body phenylalanine flux, an index of proteolysis, was significantly suppressed by BCAA infusion. Despite the rise in whole-body non-oxidative leucine disposal, and in forearm leucine uptake and disposal, forearm phenylalanine disposal, an index of muscle protein synthesis, was not stimulated by infusion of branched-chain amino acids

-BCAAs during 1h cycle exercise and a 2h recovery period does not influence the rate of exchange of the aromatic AAs during exercise. In the recovery period, a faster decrease in the muscle concentration of aromatic AAs was found (46% compared with 25% in the placebo condition). There was also a tendency to a smaller release (an average of 32%) of these amino acids from the legs. The results suggest that BCAA have a protein-sparing effect during the recovery after exercise

-7.5-12 g BCAAs during intense exercise (a 30 km cross-country race and a full marathon) increases BCAA plasma and muscle concentration. In the placebo group plasma BCAA decreased and left muscle levels unchanged. The placebo group showed a 20-40% increase in the muscle concentration of aromatic AAs. BCAA supplementation prevented this increase in aromatic AAs in both muscle and plasma. These results suggest that an intake of BCAAs during exercise can prevent or decrease the net rate of protein degradation caused by heavy exercise

-77 mg BCAAs/kg supplementation before exercise resulted in a doubling (P < 0.05) of the arterial BCAA levels before exercise (339 +/- 15 vs. 822 +/- 86 microM). During the 60 min of exercise, the total release of BCAA was 68 +/- 93 vs. 816 +/- 198 mumol/kg (P < 0.05) for the BCAA and control trials, respectively. Furthermore, the increased intramuscular and arterial BCAA levels before and during exercise result in (???? thanks for finishing dude)

-BCAA supplementation (76% leucine) in combination with moderate energy restriction has been shown to induce significant and preferential losses of visceral adipose tissue and to allow maintenance of a high level of performance.

-In adipocytes from fed rats, the rate of fatty acid synthesis in the presence of glucose and insulin was inhibited 40% by valine (5 mm)

-Twenty-five competitive wrestlers restricted their caloric intake (28 kcal/kg per day) for 19 days. A high-BCAA diet provided 4 kg of weight loss, and 17.3% decrease in fat loss. There was no change in aerobic (VO2max) (p > 0.75) and anaerobic capacities (Wingate test) (p > 0.81), and in muscular strength (p > 0.82).

Prevents a decrease in glutamine
-Following an exercise bout, a decrease in plasma glutamine concentration can be observed, which is completely abolished by BCAA supplementation.

-BCAA supplementation during a triathlon completely prevents the decrease in plasma glutamine.......

Prevents muscle damage
-We hypothesized that BCAA supplementation would reduce the serum activities of intramuscular enzymes associated with muscle damage. 120 minutes exercise on a cycle ergometer significantly increases serum creatine kinase (CK) and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) up to 5d post-exercise.....

-12 g BCAAs for 14d in 16 men (the exercise on day 7) significantly reduces this change in LDH and CK .

WHY ESSENTIAL AMINO ACIDS (EAAs) FOR RECOVERY:
A) EAAs increase protein synthesis above basal levels
B) Prevents muscle soreness

1) Nonessential amino acids are not necessary for stimulation of net muscle protein balance (6 g EAAs provides double the response of 3g EAA and 3g of nonessentail AA)
2) 40g EAAs does not increase net protein balance more than 20g EAAs
3) Ingestion of oral essential amino acids results in a change from net muscle protein degradation to net muscle protein synthesis after heavy resistance exercise in humans similar to that seen when the amino acids were infused.

EAAs increase protein synthesis above basal levels in depth.
-EAAs (essential amino acids) increases net muscle protein balance. 2x a day 6 g provides double the response of 2x a day 3 g.....

-Consumption of 40g EAAs after heavy resistance training results in a change from net protein degradation (-50 +/- 23 nmol. min) to net protein synthesis (29 +/- 14 nmol. min).......

-A 0.15g/kg/hr AA infusion for 3 hours in 6 normal men increases muscle protein synthesis by 141%. After exerecise this increase is 291%. Muscle protein breakdown was not significantly affected.....

-Consumption of 6g EAA + 35g sucrose immediately before exercise elevates response of net muscle protein synthesis more than consumption following exercise. Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater during PRE (209 /42 mg) than during POST (81/ 19mg).

-6g EAA'S consumed at 1 and 2 hours after resistance exercise increases protein synthesis (total net uptake of phenylalanine across the leg) (71 +/- 13 mg x leg x 3hr). Prior intake of amino acids and carbohydrate does not diminish the metabolic response to a second comparable dose ingested 1h later

Eaa's Prevent muscle soreness in depth.
-3.6 g AA's before and after exercise + 2 doses a day for 4 days after the exercise suppresses the rise in serum creatine kinase activity. This also diminished muscle soreness.

Man of Honour
OP
Absolutely, in order of rank

1. Both
2. EAAs
3. BCAAs

Pre / during / post training is apparently the best way of doing it - though taking eaas first thing in the morning to create an amino acid spike before breakfast can have a beneficial effect.

It's been over a year since I've taken EAA and BCAAs so my current knowledge is a bit flakey.

Man of Honour
OP
I only eat about 12 eggs a week, I don't like having them every day as I like to have a bit of a variation in my diet. :)

I beg your pardon, of course taking them after some carbs is sensible, and post work out you'll be eating soon after anyway so it should all tie in nicely. If you take them DURING training, obviously other than a banana there's not much food going in ;)

As for how much i took 15g pre work out with a banana and a cup of coffee to give me a kick (plus to get rid of the taste!), and 15g after workout with some glutamine/whey shake/waxy maize.

Apparently optimal results for mass when training at high intensity are tkaing it 4-6 times a day (15g) between solid meals. I never went that route as I couldn't afford it and didn't really have the ability to do that.

Man of Honour
OP
Ultimately the gym is 70% diet, 29% effort and that extra 1% you can get from some supps (which do work, but are so tiny in terms of efficiency that it seems daft at times). So for 1% is it really worth it?

I still stand by taking a shake after a work out to last me till dinner time - just because I really really don't feel like eating after a workout - but that's just for me... it's a handy way of getting some nurtition into your body. It's no different to being put on a drip in hospital, sure it's not enjoyable as a meal, but it'll provide you with what you need.

Amino acids (found in protein) are the building blocks of the way the nutrients are utilised in your body - and in general we get them in our diets, and as discussed EAAs cannot be synthesized by your body so you need to make sure you get enough of them in your protein intakes during the day (meats, fish, pulses, beans, nuts, eggs etc....).

If you cannot hit your dietary requirements supps can help get you to where you want and i think it's perfectly valid to do it via supps, ultimately they are just food, broken down into building blocks rather than surrounded by flesh and fibrous tissue.

However if you do get your diet sorted and are able to eat well then unless you think that 1% performance gain is worth it then you're wasting you money.

Stims, well I don't use them, but I've found beta alanine to be great for focus, but then again a cup of coffee before a workout does the trick too - though coffee is bad for your alkalinity.

No supps "work"... they don't provide you with instant results. However, if used correctly with the right ratio of carbs and protein they can enhance your body's ability to exploit your diet and exercise - but I'd suggest it would be for those really a) who are doing this full time and to a high standard b) have a ridiculously strict and tailored diet c) are beyond our realms of professionalism!

The facts of the matter is that as stated in the last paragraph they do provide beneficial properties - that's just categoric fact and science - however, my point is that for the average Joe (myself included) it might help a little, but not enough to warrant the cost IMO.

Man of Honour
OP
I like Rhodiola Rosea and Ginseng (though SIberian Gingseng is also good, otherwise known as ES I think), and Holy Basil.

I tend to cycle them for 6 weeks or so at a time. Then have a 4 week break etc... It may just be placebo, but I certainly believe in chinese medicine, and herbal remedies over "medicine" per se, and what the heck, it's natural and really seems to do the trick for me. :)

Man of Honour
OP
so should I bother taking tiny does of BCAA's of EAA's such as 4g/day or, considering my 220lbs body weight, just forget about it as there will be little to no effect?
I've got an ok-ish diet, planing to introduce a milk protein shake at midnight because I usually get up hungry in the morning, and BCAA's seem to be the next thing on my improvement list.

Obviously I'm not expecting mahoosive effects, but should I bother or not?

Such a small amount is just not worth it I don't think. At your weight I'd be aiming for at least 15g pre/post - but first thing AM or pre bed is also a good idea.

Man of Honour
OP
In terms of quality I think most people mean the amount of horrid sweetners they put in. The only "difference" I'd take not of is the amino acid profile, however to be honest, they are much of a muchness. However, I would only buy from a reputable company - some have higher carb contents, some have less protein per gramme etc...

Back
Top Bottom