Supreme commander artillery defence?

Associate
Scenario - After playing MP matches, you have been unable to get near the enemies base despite many attempts! They've now managed to build the tech 3 artillery in their base and its hitting you every few seconds and each shot takes down you shield generators and pounds you. You were spending your time building attack units and they just dug in and didnt venture out.

The tech 3 artillery doesnt take long to build so is the only defence against artillery simply to build artillery too to attack theirs? Or what other methods do people do? Seems as soon as one person gets artillery the game is basically over which is a shame. I wish shield generators did more to help out but considering how cheap artillery is to build, whats the point in actually trying to attack or build nukes on a 5-10km map? May as well just dig in and build artillery :(

Anyone know of a mod to disable artillery or make it weaker as I'm sure some people love it, but considering you can defend against nukes and tactical missiles its a shame you cant do anything against artillery. Seems all you have to do really is dig in and build loads of tech 3 artillery :( Suppose thats why I like the large maps as tech 3 cant hit your base from their base. A mod would be nice though to make the game more "traditional"

Last edited:
Soldato
The main weakness of artillery is range. The only sure way of staying safe, is to build outside of its range. This is easy to do on larger maps, but hard on smaller ones.

Shield generators will do the trick. It depends on the power of the artillery but a maxed out shield gen will stop the weaker shells easy. But it does change things if they have more than one pounding away at you.

Soldato
I thought the Omni-Sensor could get past the stealth field generator ?

I had a game a few days ago that saw my entire island covered with shield gens - all maxed out with lots of overlaps because the tech 3 arty was pounding my base constantly.

The Cybran tech 3 arty unit - scathis i think - is pretty damaging if you can get it in range but on big maps its no where near as effective as the UEF one - thats got an insane range! and can take down a fully upgrade shield in one hit :eek:

Soldato
TheOtherOption said:

I had a game a few days ago that saw my entire island covered with shield gens - all maxed out with lots of overlaps because the tech 3 arty was pounding my base constantly.

The Cybran tech 3 arty unit - scathis i think - is pretty damaging if you can get it in range but on big maps its no where near as effective as the UEF one - thats got an insane range! and can take down a fully upgrade shield in one hit :eek:

yeh the UEF can reach anywhere on the map but takes AGES to build. so just get some troops in their base if you see one getting constructed. or build a load of bombers.

Associate
OP
The omni sensor breaks stealth, etc so no point building stealth generators :( The UEF experimental artillery is insane but takes AAAAGES to build. Im talking about Tech 3 artillery which all races have and which just ruins smaller maps.

The game is really moddable so I'm hoping that someone releases a mod. The one thing I love about supcom is how easy it is to activate the mods in MP. The 2x Resource mod for example is sweet for making a quicker game! Its as simple as clicking "Mods" and choosing the mods you want. Roll on the "No artillery" mod for those of us who dont like it. I enjoy Human VS CPU so I cant tell the CPU not to build them :D

Tech 3 artillery pounds heavy shield generators. 2 shots and they go down. Seems the only solution at the mo though is to use maps larger than 10km. Was just wondering how people coped against art in the 5-10km ones

Soldato
TheOtherOption said:

Yup, Omni-Sensor does see past stealth fields.

With most of them it is down to range versus cost/time. There are essentially 3 ways to win, units, missiles and artillery. It comes down to which you build, how many and how fast. They are powerful, some verge on insanely powerful, but all have their weaknesses.

This is one game where you never get a stand-off. :)

Associate
OP
Suppose the only way on small maps is to build a tech 3 artillery too? Then when they start pounding you at least you can take theirs out :D I just dont like building them as I feel as it its cheating in some way just sitting in the base firing into theirs lol

Soldato
number41 said:
The omni sensor breaks stealth, etc so no point building stealth generators :( The UEF experimental artillery is insane but takes AAAAGES to build. Im talking about Tech 3 artillery which all races have and which just ruins smaller maps.

It is all down to range. Tactics vary greatly depending on the map size. Artillery is most useful on maps around the 10km size.

Mod wise, I was thinking about a 'wind mod'. It would cause artillery to take longger to perfect their trajectory and thanks to a gusts etc, they would never be as accurate. Enabling this would make artillery a little less useful, but also help stop the 'aim artillery at commander whilst he is building something' tactic.

Soldato
I don't think there are any mods out as yet- but i'm sure there will be a thread with it all in soon enough ;)

The tech 3 arty is yea pretty good too - as i said before the way i counter its effect is by making sure my shield domes overlap all around - as if a tech 3 power plant goes up you've had it ... chain reactions galore :o

Given some will just space them out enough for it not to matter but if you want all the benefits of them being linked to buildings then you've gotta take that into account when placing shield gens ...

Associate
OP
Talking of mods I'm going to see if I can find the 3 sample ones that come with the game and see what modding them involves. At work at the moment so cant check, but are they just 3 files and you change values to suit? Cant find info on actually performing mods anywhere :(

Soldato
There are a few mods already, one of which makes the UI draggable which is real sweet. Check the official forums for info and details. It seems quite simple and amazingly powerful thanks to it using Lua.

Associate
useing stealth to protect against artillery is still viable because the omnisensor has two ranges, one is the radar/sonar which is a range of 600somethings, and the actual omni sensory bit has a range of 200, which is far less than an t3 artillery
which means to break your stealth they have to have an omnisensor very close to your base which would be easy to destroy, either that or they have a t3 scout circling your base, which you can use some interceptors to stop easily

dis

dis

Associate
Nukes? Front line often isn't defended too well, send in a raiding party to spot and destroy any anti-nuke silos then let the nuclear attack begin?

Dunno, i'm still trying to get a handle on all this tactics stuff. Got the UEF T4 artillery out into play last night, man i love that thing.

Soldato
dis said:
Nukes? Front line often isn't defended too well, send in a raiding party to spot and destroy any anti-nuke silos then let the nuclear attack begin?

Dunno, i'm still trying to get a handle on all this tactics stuff. Got the UEF T4 artillery out into play last night, man i love that thing.
tbh nukes are better VS troops massed than bases
sending a couple of nukes into a huge gathering of troops about to attack your base can really put someone off their game!

Back
Top Bottom