Suspended from work

Soldato
So yeah I got suspended from work today. Not going to go into specifics as I am due to attend a disciplinary on Monday but I would like some advice.

What can I expect? The letter I was given stating I was suspended tells me to refer to the company handbook regarding this. Guess what! Never got a staff handbook when the store converted from Safeway to Morrisons :/

The whole dispute is petty but at the highest level so I guess things could turn ugly with a wrong word or two.

What can I do to prepare? Any advice is appreciated.

I have made a note of the events that led to this and can produce evidence to prove my point. What else can I do?

Ta :)

Permabanned
Firstly you need to find out whether you were employed under the same terms and conditions when the company were bought out. You should have been advised of this in writing and given updated T and C's. You should take someone in to the meeting with you who can record events and/or advise you. You are entitled to ask before the event who will be at the meeting and who you are allowed to take with you. Take any notes with you and ask, if you think it relevant, whether you can present witness statements from people you have contacted.

Soldato
Psymonkee said:
The whole dispute is petty but at the highest level so I guess things could turn ugly with a wrong word or two.

If its petty, you can tell us ,if its something you've said or done to a manager, then you wont get away with it.

If its something like failure to comply with T&C's and its nothing major like turning up to work with a "I *** Tescos" T-shirt on, you will get a slapped wrist.
Make sure you make the person who will be chairing the "hearing" knows you were not made aware of any changes to work practises by your direct manager if it is a problem regarding that.

Soldato
OP
Very basically the dispute is over car parking at work. Been going on for a few months now and had problems with the guy before that. Today I finally snapped at the guy and told him to explain why he kept picking on me.

No suitable answers were forthcoming so I gave him my name badge/tie/apron (yes till staff wear aprons :rolleyes: ) and tell him I'll be back to deal with this.

Go into Personnel (yes Morrisons are archaic) to attempt to file a greivance with him but he butts in and has me suspended at full pay :(

Yeah I've done wrong but the reaction has been totally over the top and I intend to fight it all the way where possible :)

I will have my Line Manager sitting in on the meeting with me on Monday but I don't know who will be running the show yet. I plan to take a dictaphone with me as well so that I can record everything that is said.

I haven't joined the union and kinda wishing I had now but not sure exactly what to do in this case.

//edit:

In my eyes this is petty btw as I (a cashier) have been picked on (imo) by the manager since he arrived 6 months ago. I have not physically assualted him or verbally abused him to my knowledge so I doubt it will go that far.

Last edited:
Soldato
You are usually permitted to have a colleague or union representative accompany you. You probably won't be able to take a friend or relative. The colleague or rep should say nothing at all, just witness the proceedings.

I believe they are legally required to provide you with the displinary procedure prior to initiating action. If they've not done so then they cannot legally initiate any such procedure and any action they take will not stand up in court should you decide to contest it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah - when I arrived at lunchtime and the intended staff spaces (not marked in anyway) are full.

I put the car elsewhere intending to move it at my break. Before I could even settle down in the car he's shouting and waving that I'm in the wrong place, the world is going to end and no more customers will ever come to the store :confused:

Permabanned
My best advice to you, is to take a dictaphone with you and a friend.

At the end of the meeting, walk out the door and make it obvious that you have stopped a dictaphone - then if any of their faces turn sour, you'll know you're onto something.

Man of Honour
Psymonkee said:
Yeah - when I arrived at lunchtime and the intended staff spaces (not marked in anyway) are full.

I put the car elsewhere intending to move it at my break. Before I could even settle down in the car he's shouting and waving that I'm in the wrong place, the world is going to end and no more customers will ever come to the store :confused:
Sounds really petty :/

Associate
Psymonkee said:

I had this stupid parking arrangement in the ASDA store I used to work at, when I was a student. If anyone said anything to me I always ignored them or said I was shopping before work. Nobody in the store ever had a disciplinary for it though!

Sounds a bit over the top! :(

Soldato
OP
Shouldn't be a problem but I do have some killer evidence that should shut they guy up. However he has made allegations that I threw my uniform at him - I'll have a hard time disproving that but I'm not sure how he can prove it either?

I have been reading the DTI website and by the looks of it I am allowed to enter my own greivance against him and fully intend to do so - hopefully it will make him think twice as well....

Soldato
I got suspended from work for letting my mate use my discount card, I attended a hearing the following day and was sacked. Hadnt had any other warnings or anything, was really shocked as i thought it was quite a petty thing, but it was infact gross misconduct. Not trying to scare you, but be prepared to put up a little fight, companies are star it out completely please - Davey.

Soldato
Ahhh, good old Safeways/Morrisons. I spent what was probably the worst 6 months of my life with them. I ended up walking out when a manager (who was constantly giving me a hard time) tried to give me a formal warning for something that wasn't even my fault. They are a horrible, horrible company. Do yourself a favour and work somewhere else.....anywhere else.

Soldato
tbh, tescos are worse!

I booked some holiday over the summer, was told it was ok, then I turned up the week before and they said I was on holiday this week!

turns out they had moved my holiday because it didn't fit with them, so I told them to stuff their job up their ass. the HR girl was a bit annoyed because it was down to this one line manager who had been giving all us young ones (was only just 18 at the time) a hard time!
tbh, wasn't worth £5.20 an hour to take that kinda crap.

Back
Top Bottom