• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

T-Rad2 installation Guide and Initial Thoughts

Associate
Well Im running at C2D E8500, 2GB OCZ PC6400 on a dell board (yes I know, was a transplant). CPU cooled by Zalman 7500, idles around 40oC. 2 x 120mm case fans, using the antecs that came with it, but got 2 Notcua 120mm's to go in. I know its not the best case designed for airflow, but with the seperated compartments it works well. HIS 4870 idles at 70oC, will check vrms at stock tonight.

I know I said I was going for pure silence, but that is when it idles at night, when left downloading or watching a film, otherwise i don't mind a bit of noise while gaming etc. Installing Sunbeam Rheobus tonight so I can set speeds easily enough. The case seems quite good with ventilation. I like the vent above the vid card slot in the case.

Reason I have the case and running thsat hardware in, as its my sole PC, fits in with all my AV euip in my room, and don't really have space for a tower. I love the look of the case. :)

Last edited:
Associate
quick question...what do VRMs do?

Do they regulate the curent to the GPU? Just reading that without the stock fan on the 4870 draws more power. Could this increase load on VRMs? Anyone wanna plug the stock fan in, not fitted to the card and run a test to see if that lowers draw and load on VRMs.

TBH totally new to this but, 1. Curious and 2. bored at work! ;)

Associate
Bit of confussion with VRM's by the looks of it. The chips that are cooled by the heatsink are MOFSETS. Now the 3 down by the bottom of the board act with the voltage inductor (long chip right of the 3 mofsets) regulate voltage to the gpu die, and the 2 MOFSETS above act with 2 VRMS (next to the 2 mofsets) to control voltage to the memory.

Now MOFSETS for some reason only need to be cooled to save them poping at high temps.

But as you say davey there basis is the control/regulate the voltage to the relevant source.

Associate
had a play with mine tonight, got my Antec SpotCool System Cooler so put that at the bottom of my case, to help with getting air onto my card....also realised that my 120mm fan on the back of my case was only blowing air out of the case at slowest speed so turned that upto max to see what differences that makes

Don
pictures of mine, with 2x xilence red wings

DSC00425Small.jpg

DSC00426Small.jpg

DSC00428Small.jpg

DSC00429Small.jpg

DSC00431Small.jpg

Soldato
Update: Ive stuck 2 92mm Xilence fans on and have them running full speed ( but they are silent ) and now temps are

33-34oC idle

39-40oC load (after some tweaking with my cooling fans and ducts )

The heatsinks on the ram seemed fine and solid when i took the card out to swap the fans out.

System is now almost totally silent... a slight humm and of course the sound of the psu and hard drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi MrStabby.

I think you'll have enough room before the fan/heatsink hits the top of the case. From the pics it seams to only go 20-100mm higher than the top of the card (when installed on the horizontal mobo right?)
Hope you havent got any extra expansion cards, might get a little tight ;)

Post some pics when you fit it in, I'm interested to how it goes :D
________
Portable vaporier review

Last edited:
Associate
Stabby...sorry so late. Missus ona moan up before I could get on comp.

It dont fit!!! Literally out by 1mm!

Plus also On my mobo it covers all my sata points making all bar 1 unusable!!!

The cooler sits just 1mm higher than case lid, You could probably push it and it would close but with pressure on card. I wasnt happy trying if you know what i mean.

Associate
Seems a lot cooler, got it at the bottom of my case blowing on to the VRM end of the card, havent had any problems. Havent really played any games tonight to give it a thorough test though.

Although as mentioned earlier, I did have the fan controller on my rear 120mm fan on low speed by mistake, have since changed this to max speed so this might of helped as well

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
just tried mine with a 120mm sharkoon case fan

there was an increase in idle of +5'C
and an increase in load of 11'C

and it was more audible than the 2X92mm setup

Soldato
just tried mine with a 120mm sharkoon case fan

there was an increase in idle of +5'C
and an increase in load of 11'C

and it was more audible than the 2X92mm setup
So whilst a 120mm fan is bigger and able to move air because it doesn't cover the width of the heatsink (2 x 92mm = 184mm) and is about 64mm short the 2 x 92mm get better temp drops because they cover the entire heatsink?

Associate
Stabby...sorry so late. Missus ona moan up before I could get on comp.

It dont fit!!! Literally out by 1mm!

Plus also On my mobo it covers all my sata points making all bar 1 unusable!!!

The cooler sits just 1mm higher than case lid, You could probably push it and it would close but with pressure on card. I wasnt happy trying if you know what i mean.

No problem Davey, cheers for trying. Well Im going to order it. :) Already ordered 2 92mm fans lol. Will get the angle grinder on it ;) In regards to the SATA connections, using cables with right angel connectors works fine, my SATA's seem spaced out too.

That link to XS forum davey was a good read. In regards to the MOFSETS, the idea is a long heatsink covering all of them. Seems the small sinks just can't handle it.

Associate
lol...so choices are smack a dirty bar across them all or go the cheap route and stick some as5 between the little ones to transfer heat between them. lmao.

I'll start with the dirty bar. ;)

Yh its obviously a problem that people have had for sometime....just shame ATI havent thrown more info into the mix.

Tbh I think youll get away with it...if you really want to. My Fusion is purely for htpc in living room. Runs hdmi through a ATI HD2600 which is fine for my needs. Slipping the 4800 in her was like squeezing a 4ltr v8 in a mini. lol.

WILLBO...Eager to know if you get much of a drop with that spot cooler at load. I thought youd run it looking straight down the card or 1mm from vrms...lol!

Im gonna order one and a TR mosfet HS as in link earlier and see how it runs with spot cooler direct onto the HS. I have a HR03 cooler somewhere so will see what happens.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
So whilst a 120mm fan is bigger and able to move air because it doesn't cover the width of the heatsink (2 x 92mm = 184mm) and is about 64mm short the 2 x 92mm get better temp drops because they cover the entire heatsink?

i guess - i never thought of that to be honest

i made some fan shrouds from old 92mm fan frames last night
going to install them in between the trad and the sharkoons to eliminate the deadspot in the fans
see if that gives an improvement [just for fun - probably wont run it like that as it will be heavy as hell and i will need to remove my sound card]

Presume thats a 2000. Full speed?

yes indeed - ran off a motherboard header at first and then off my fan controller at full tilt

Back
Top Bottom