• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

T-Rad2 installation Guide and Initial Thoughts

Permabanned
I am getting crashing in games, think lettuce was as well, generally they are fine..cooler and work a treat but for high res gaming they get hot after a couple of hours and crash back to the desktop due to the VRM's overheating so need to find a way to keep them cooler

Do you have the fan on the trad-2 blowing on the vrm's, if not try that. Try to have other fans that are higher up than the card (in the case) not blowing on the card but pulling hot air away and outside the case, along with the fan on the trad-2 and other fans under the card blowing toward the vrm's. Also try running it with one side of the case open just incase it's a airflow problem.

It should'nt really be crashing in games, i have run two 4870's with vrm temps 100+ in furmark which puts a heavier load than games and they never crash.

Last edited:
Permabanned
So, in effect, the T-Rad2 is not the best cooler for an ATI then? Why should you have to go out and buy more bits for your card when everything should work straight out of the box. If it is quoted as compatible for your ATI then as far as i am concerned that means in all aspects of PC use. If the VRM's are overheating then the Cooler is not doing its job fully.

If i were an ATI owner i would be looking at a different after market cooler

There are no aftermarket coolers for ati cards that have a good vrm heatsink. Thats what's wrong with the trad-2 and the same applies to the S1 cooler, which was the best cooler for the 4870 until the trad-2.

Associate
Do you have the fan on the trad-2 blowing on the vrm's, if not try that. Try to have other fans that are higher up than the card (in the case) not blowing on the card but pulling hot air away and outside the case, along with the fan on the trad-2 and other fans under the card blowing toward the vrm's. Also try running it with one side of the case open just incase it's a airflow problem.

It should'nt really be crashing in games, i have run two 4870's with vrm temps 100+ in furmark which puts a heavier load than games and they never crash.

I've got both fans on my trad2 blowing towards the card, or so the arrows say on the fans (they pointing towards the card) I've got one 120mm fan sucking air in on the front, one blowing out, 120mm fan on my noctua cpu cooler blowing on the cooler, incase there is an airflow issue, I've got one of those antec spot cooler fans being delivered tomorrow which i'm goign to have pointing towards the VRM end of the card. I've got akasa amber 120mm fans on my case, are they good at airflow?

Permabanned
I've got both fans on my trad2 blowing towards the card, or so the arrows say on the fans (they pointing towards the card) I've got one 120mm fan sucking air in on the front, one blowing out, 120mm fan on my noctua cpu cooler blowing on the cooler, incase there is an airflow issue, I've got one of those antec spot cooler fans being delivered tomorrow which i'm goign to have pointing towards the VRM end of the card. I've got akasa amber 120mm fans on my case, are they good at airflow?

As long as the fans below the back of the card are pointing towards it, and the fans above the back of the card are not pointing towards it but blowing air towards the outside of the case the airflow should be good. Fans blowing towards each other on the card can cause a heat build-up while the push/pull method pushes air into the card and pulls hot air away.

If you have'nt tried this already could you use V-sync to cap the fps in games to 60 as this will reduce card temps.

Also could you set rivatuner to monitor the card core/vrm temps just before it would crash.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Still waiting on my thermal tape, when I get it I will re-arrange my sinks and get results and pics up.

However, been using this current layout for a few days now and all is perfect. Temps have been low, I've never had a single game crash (stock cooler or t-rad) and noise level is perfect.

My VDDC Current is around the 12A, any idea why yours is higher?
edit: sorry, I've just put my clock speeds to normal and see they are automatically increased. I thought voltage was constant on the 4870's.

Last edited:
Associate
Guys, can anyone tell me how much the T-Rad2 is ing height over the actual card, if that makes sense. I have an Antec Fusion Remote case, and I have about 2cm above the card. Would the cooler fit?

And in regards to the VRMS, Im sure I have seen a HS plate that covers pretty much the whole 4870 and you can still fit the T-Rad2 over the top, will have a look for it. Pretty sure its made by Thermalright too.

Associate
As long as the fans below the back of the card are pointing towards it, and the fans above the back of the card are not pointing towards it but blowing air towards the outside of the case the airflow should be good. Fans blowing towards each other on the card can cause a heat build-up while the push/pull method pushes air into the card and pulls hot air away.

If you have'nt tried this already could you use V-sync to cap the fps in games to 60 as this will reduce card temps.

Also could you set rivatuner to monitor the card core/vrm temps just before it would crash.

Getting bit confused now,

My Trad2 has 2 x 92mm fans on it, both of which are on the heatsink which are blowing air onto the heatsink and card, there are no fans on the other side of the card. I've got the 1 x 120mm fan at the front sucking air in, and 1 x 120mm fan at the back blowing out, with 1 x 120mm fan on the CPU cooler blowing air onto it as well. Is that correct layout?

In games I do turn V-Sync on, I'm at work at the moment so will have to try RivaTuner later

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Guys, can anyone tell me how much the T-Rad2 is ing height over the actual card, if that makes sense. I have an Antec Fusion Remote case, and I have about 2cm above the card. Would the cooler fit?

And in regards to the VRMS, Im sure I have seen a HS plate that covers pretty much the whole 4870 and you can still fit the T-Rad2 over the top, will have a look for it. Pretty sure its made by Thermalright too.

depends what depth fans you use

Associate
Stabby.

I have a Fusion as a media pc and the trad2 on a 4870 in my gamer with 2x 92mm Sharkoons.

Unless anyone can confirm earlier, I'll swap the cards over tonight and PM you. It won't be until about 9pm though mate.

Associate
Stabby.

I have a Fusion as a media pc and the trad2 on a 4870 in my gamer with 2x 92mm Sharkoons.

Unless anyone can confirm earlier, I'll swap the cards over tonight and PM you. It won't be until about 9pm though mate.

Would be much appreciated davey. Did want to order today, but if no one can confirm until you, then i will hold my suspense till tomorrow to order.

Also anyone had any dealings with the Zalman ZM-F2 92mm fans? Thinking about using these on the TRad2 and having them on lowest setting, going for utter silence, but able to crank up when needed.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I will be using 92mm fans but I think people are mis-understanding, the TRad2 is 104mm high, now as my case is a desktop case, I am wondering how much the TRad2 will overhang the top of the actual card. Not the depth of the card.

depth is how deep the fan is
on the side
it wouldnt be 92mm if it was smaller on any other measurement

i heard of people getting thinner 92mm fans but they are dificult to source in the uk

Associate
Silly Q Stabby, but what you running it in the Fusion for?

Its a hell of a card and cooler for the Fusion case.

Dont get me wrong its a great case and runs dead silent, but its not designed with that sort of airflow, cooling, etc in mind mate.

As in I have ahuge case, loads of space, all neat n tidy, 6 sharkoon 120mm fans, plus 2 92mm on the trad its self and still get the vrm temps peaking at 92c atm.

The Fusion might not be the best case for this option....imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom