• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

T-Rad2 installation Guide and Initial Thoughts

Soldato
Glat to hear it mate :) i do like to help the humans every once in a while :D

Did you still have the default thermal tape on your backplate or did you fashion somethin for yourself? Hows your load and idle temps?

I bought some Akasa Thermal adhesive tape, but ended up forgetting about it and sticking with the pre-applied stuff.

I'll get some load temps shortly as I'm busy encoding at the moment. But here are my current idle ones:

tempsan8.png

Bear in mind all my fans are at 5V as I'm aiming for silence.

Associate
Ok fellas here goes, i have to be honest the mod had results way beyond my expectations, i have knocked easily 50C off my VDDC temps at load, GPU is a little lower at stock and load but its the VRM's which show the value of this mod.

Heres a few pics during the mod

Base plate installed, removed all the heatsinks i had applied the first tie with the Trad-2, also as you can see removed the sinks from the raised chips as i feel they will cool great thru the gap.
mod.jpg

Few shots of the trad fitted back on and in the case
mod2.jpg

mod3.jpg

mod4.jpg

mod5.jpg

And finally the GPUZ temps for GPU and VDDC's after the 20min run on Furmark

mod1.jpg

[will update temps after 1hr of furmark / EDIT here ya go after 1hr stability test on furmark 1280x1024]

1hrry3.jpg

not quite the 50C drop but not bad considering before the mod my temps would be over 100C after the 20min run so im well chuffed :) now to clock the nuts off it!

Any questions etc feel free to ask :) and Rjko get that table updated lol

Ok just tried doing this mod, after placing the stock base plate back on the card and fitting the T-Rad back on i fired up the PC, but i only got my Abit Ip35-Pros logo screen after that the screen went blank, the feeling of dreed started to over come me, as i though i must have over tightned some of the fittings for the base plate or something. So i took of the t-rad and noticed that it is not even touching the gpu core, as the thermal paste was untouched, so im guessing the card was over heading and thats why i was only getting my mobos logo screen and nothing else?? My quesion is how come you didnt have this problem when you did this mod???

Soldato
take a few pics of your trad 2 installed mate, mine fits absolutely perfect in the gap in the sock base plate.

What way have you the trad 2 pins attached, from the inderside of the board the same as mine?

Do you have any vrm heatsinks ontop of your base plate that might be preventing the trad seating properly?

Honestly myself and paradox had no hitches whatsoever.

A few pics of yours will help explain it better :)

Soldato
gonna be sticking my 4870 on MM next week as ive just ordered one of the offer 280's.

Ill be selling the 4870 with the trad2 fitted as you see in those pics so its prob as cool a 4870 as your likely to see. :)

Associate
take a few pics of your trad 2 installed mate, mine fits absolutely perfect in the gap in the sock base plate.

What way have you the trad 2 pins attached, from the inderside of the board the same as mine?

Do you have any vrm heatsinks ontop of your base plate that might be preventing the trad seating properly?

Honestly myself and paradox had no hitches whatsoever.

A few pics of yours will help explain it better :)

Heres a pic...

dscf4267ane7.jpg

As you can see the yellow and red circled areas are resting on the base plate, and you can still see some of the thread from the pins that go through the card in the green circled areas, so its not even sitting flush!? I think i might has to cut these parts out so the T-rad fits?

Associate
Ok ive modded the base plate slightly.....

dscf4277yk6.jpg

I had to use Akasa thermal tape, as i removed the tape that was inplace over the VRM (idiot!), as a single layer of akasa tape wasnt thick enough i had to stick 3 bits together! After putting the card back in the VRM temps seem worse!!! 52c idel and when under stress for 8 minutes 95c!!!! So im guessing you shouldnt stick 3 bits of thermal tape together, must not be transfering the heat that well!?

Soldato
i cant see that that base plate is doing anything there mate, there wont be enough pressure applied to the VDDC chips to give good thermal absorption thats why your temps are up there.

IMO you would be just as well off without the base plate at all with that much cut away from it.

Soldato
Well had my first ever casualty last night.. Playing the demo of Fear 2 and destroyed my 4870 :( Was playing fine then it just crashed the machine powered back up but no display then some nasty burning smell.. Took out the card and one of the VRM's has fried.. Gutted...

Associate
I am very sorry to hear that mate, that is all our worst nightmare:(

The reason for that base plate was to apply more surface area and more pressure to those chips, I bought the AC acellero twin fitted without base plate card felt very flimsy and my GPU temps went through the roof so done some research and found SharpyGSXR thread so done the same thing made more sense card felt nice and rigid temps did come down a small bit but not enough, So I re-fitted my stock cooler with some nice thresh tim and temps dropped like a stone still not perfect. "Loud"

Now i have installed two 120mm fans one intake and one exhaust and all system temps are much better.

Back
Top Bottom