• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

T-Rad2 installation Guide and Initial Thoughts

Soldato
Hi Sharpy, nice mod :)

What card do you have exactly? my Sapphire HD4870 512mb (with their big new heatpipe cooler) doesn't show any of the voltages and VRM temps in GPU-Z .. :confused:

I'm running version 0.3.1 aswell

Soldato
I'm on the sensors page :( .. How odd

problem.jpg

Soldato
thanks for your replys, I did a fresh install of the Latest 8.12 package from the ATi/AMD Site. I will keep googling, although reinstalling the Graphics drivers might help :)

Soldato
ive found a few posts from people who had problems with using some AMD clock program for overclocking GPU but id say try a clean install of the full driver package and see if that sorts it.

Soldato
ive found a few posts from people who had problems with using some AMD clock program for overclocking GPU but id say try a clean install of the full driver package and see if that sorts it.

I put on the Catalyst 8.11 package after removing all the ATi stuff and then running Driversweeper but the sensors still arn't showing up :(

I've signed up to the GPU-Z Forum (well, its not their forum) and will post up my problem there as I don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Although.. I am very tempted to get the T-Rad2.. :D *hovers over buy button*

Associate
Hmm not sure tbh. My 4870 is a non-reference palit/gainward/xpertvision one and does not have those readings. It looks like yours just has the normal mosfet, inductor and capacitors. Would not worry about it as digital vrms run hotter anyway from what I have read.

Always thought the Sapphire ones even with the new coolers still had digital vrms though.

Soldato
Here's my 4870, using the sharpy method for the RAM cooling:

dsc06446smallwp1.jpg

Couldn't be happier. The Xilence fans are running at about 5V and are completely silent from more than 1ft away, and the temps are absolutely fine.

Associate
Ok so I got the new sinks installed. Used MX-2 between the sinks and VRMs/RAM. Very easy to install. Here's what it look like.

IMG_1114.jpg

Going to fire up ATITool and see if it actually makes any difference to the temps.

Soldato
Someone should tell AMD that they stuck their GPU chip the wrong way up :p

These mods look v.tasty, not sure if I want to spend the £50'ish though...

Associate
I guess it is a bit expensive. Think it came to about £40 including p&p.
Looks like the temps on the vrms are down by about 20C. I was hitting 100C+ originally in ATITool with the spinning furry cube after about 5 minutes. Just ran it for about half an hour and one of them is just creeping into the low 80s. It's a definite improvement but I suppose the temp drop from recycling the stock plate is even greater. :(

Permabanned
I guess it is a bit expensive. Think it came to about £40 including p&p.
Looks like the temps on the vrms are down by about 20C. I was hitting 100C+ originally in ATITool with the spinning furry cube after about 5 minutes. Just ran it for about half an hour and one of them is just creeping into the low 80s. It's a definite improvement but I suppose the temp drop from recycling the stock plate is even greater. :(

So £40 a waste then?

Soldato
Here's my 4870, using the sharpy method for the RAM cooling:

Snip*image*Snip

Couldn't be happier. The Xilence fans are running at about 5V and are completely silent from more than 1ft away, and the temps are absolutely fine.

Glat to hear it mate :) i do like to help the humans every once in a while :D

Did you still have the default thermal tape on your backplate or did you fashion somethin for yourself? Hows your load and idle temps?

Ok so I got the new sinks installed. Used MX-2 between the sinks and VRMs/RAM. Very easy to install. Here's what it look like.

Snip**image**snip

Going to fire up ATITool and see if it actually makes any difference to the temps.

DrSteve those sinks look superb mate glad they got there in one piece.

Your temps seem a great improvement on the trad sinks under load i should think they were well worth the cost for yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom