1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tabletop Warhammer?

Discussion in 'Tabletop Games' started by Arcimbaldo, Apr 4, 2011.

1. No1newts

Capodecina

Cheers for the tips, been knackered recently but if I can find 5mins (and be bothered) over the weekend I'll give it a go

2. BongoHunter

Hitman

Pesky thread has made me pop into my local games workshop - been at least 20 years since I last touched an Ork or Gremlin, now got a Space Marine Tactical Squad and paint starter set for a nice gentle reintroduction :)

Its changed a lot - last time I was doing this 40K looked very very different!

3. DEL 707

Mobster

Had a go at making a wet palette.

[​IMG]

They're bath sponges I've just in 1/2, seemed to work o.k, paint stayed useable for well over an hour, but think I need to try to find some more absorbant sponges.

Models driving me crazy, so many places that are near impossible to reach, so tempted to say screw it and just start on another model, but gonna keep going in the aim of practising.

4. Werewolf

Commissario

With a lot of more complicated/detailed/fiddly models it can often be worth considering how you're going to paint it when assembling, often it's best to leave off things like capes or bulky weapons that go too tight against the body off until after you've painted.

5. BongoHunter

Hitman

A thousand times this - space marines with a bolt gun across the torso can be a bitch to do with the weapon in place before you paint for example

6. Werewolf

Commissario

*points at Tau Fire Warriors*

Aye, the Lord of Skulls I'm very slowly working on is going to have most of it's painting done whilst it's in about 6-8 parts, one of my friends did a Knight in about 6 parts, and my brother is currently working on an Admech tech guy (I think it is) in about 3 parts.

When I finally do my Greater Brass Scorpions I'm going to do it was main body and legs, with all the plates separate.

7. Spuj

Mobster

I've just started building my first Knight and it looks like the best way to paint it is to build everything up but leave all the armor panels off. Does mean it's going to be a bit of a pain individually spraying each armour piece but will be worth it. Sounds like the brass scorpion is going to be trickier, how many panels does that have?

8. Werewolf

Commissario

I can't remember how many panels, but it's something like 20+ in total as there are the ones on the body/tail and legs.
    I've got a fairly good idea of how I'm going to build and paint it (building will include making a frame to support it in transit and construction*), but it's not going to be for a long time :/
    I'm lucky to do 10-15 minutes model work a day at the moment.

IIRC my friend basically sprayed the knight frame with metal, then worked up from there (it was a couple of years back I think).

*I've had "fun" with things like some of the Tau suits from FW, and watched a friend struggle with his Brass Scorpion as he tried to assemble the legs and hold them in place whilst it was sat on books/model bricks, I'm thinking a basic plywood frame, or threaded rods with a topper to support the weight and give points where I can anchor the leg parts to whilst the glue sets (and take the weight if I take it anywhere by car so the legs aren't supporting when it's getting bounced around).

9. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Super excited to play my first real game at a club tomorrow - here’s 1,497 points of Nitefly’s unfinished and thus far undefeated army \o/

I thought long and hard at what to pick and I get a whopping 11 command points to spend - happy days.

[​IMG]

The ‘ghost crawler’ at the back is the most offensive for sure, but there’s plenty of ‘drying bases’ and unfinished transfers / details to sort at a later date. Was really, really pleased at some of my attempts at eyes though - see below.

[​IMG]

Wish me luck :D

10. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Played this afternoon and had a great time - after being reminded of the rules a whole bunch of times I ended up winning (on the relic mission). Opponent was very friendly and didn’t mind being patient with me and helping me out. All in all a very positive experience! Can’t wait to play again :)

11. No1newts

Capodecina

Glad you had fun.

I haven't picked up a brush in getting on a month if not longer. Been so busy with work and stuff going on in and around the home that when I get spare time I'm so bushed I can't even think about painting. :(

12. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I was rather encouraged that the chap I played (whom had 15 games of 8ths under his belt and had been playing for over 10 years) played with a primed but unpainted army (he was repainting them) - many other players were playing with unprimed models too. I don’t think many people care too much, which is encouraging as it was taking sooooooo, soooooo long to paint everything. In short, I’ll be opting to play with models just primed, for sure.

13. Valrak40k

Gangster

Went to the Fest, made a video of all the info I gathered and all the pics I took :)

14. Vtec9k

Wise Guy

Even though i don't get much time to paint or play I'd still love to do a Warhammerfest one day.

Great job on the vids @Valrak40k btw!