Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Never played a Warhammer game. I have quite a few Necrons and Space Marines painted up. Love to paint them. I had far too many unpainted Space Marines so I sold them and got the Storm of Sigmar box. I'm hoping that I can get my son to play the game with me, he seems really interested. In fact hes been trashing me Necrons and Space Marines for about 6 years now; fortunately I'm quite handy and gluing them back together. Unfortunately I've got the bug and want to get a load more of the Khorne guys, love the lore and I've been getting loads of help from this guys videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG0ZCl2VfG9PcCJyucWJR3w

Before I watched this guy I always avoided painting anything with skin, now I feel like I'm doing ok.

Just need to paint what I have before buying more... huuuunnnnnggg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just catching up through the thread and have been thinking about how much stuff I have in boxes currently unbuilt:

Marines:
10 Tactical marines
5 Terminators
5 Devastators
5 Vanguard
2 Stormtalons
1 Stalker/hunter
1 Razorback
3 Landspeeders
1 Lord executioner
7 Mk 4 tactical marines
1 Terminator librarian
1 Terminator captian
1 Chaplain
1 Primaris Medicae
1 Fire Raptor
1 Leviathan Dread
1 Spartan Assault tank
1 Forgeworld Predator
1 Vindicator Laser Destroyer
1 Quad Mortar
5 Firedrakes
2 Primaris Lieutenants
1 Primaris Ancient
9 Primaris Intercessors
3 Primaris Inceptors
The whole of Burning of Prospero box set (30 marines, 5 terminators and 2 characters)

Mechanicus:
10 Rangers
2 Kastelan Robots
5 Rust Stalkers
3 Kataphron Servitors
1 Tech Priest
1 Dragoon

Imperial Knights:
3 x Knights

Orks:
10 Boyz
1 Battlewagon
1 Gorkanaut
3 Warbikes
5 Flashgitz
1 Dakkajet
3 Killa Kanz
5 Tankbustas
2 Deffkoptas
10 Lootas
5 Burnas
1 Weirdboy

The whole Death Guard half of Dark Imperium

Random characters:
Roboute Gulliman
Cypher
Voldus
Ahriman
Geigor Fell-hand

Terrain from the new IK Renegade box set

Slightly embarrassing looking at all of that :/. It's been a build up of stuff over the last 5-6 years since I got back into the hobby. I had a massive hobby lul for a couple of years plus my daughter arrived October 16 so have had a lot less time to hobby. However the beginning of this year I've felt really motivated and started getting a lot more done so hopefully can start chopping through that list (I think I have around 150 models built but not painted on top of the above list so may take a while!)

I was really happy to see this, nice to see GW rewarding the staff for the hardwork they have been putting in across the board.

Soldato
Never played a Warhammer game.
Same here - but I find myself in possession of a huge number of Warhammer 40k miniatures!

Apart from some practice on some 20 year old space marines, I've only fully painted 6 of them (Primaris Reviers in Ultramarine colours), and am busy working on some Primaris Aggressors and a Primaris Dreadnought. Man, recess shading edge highlighting takes sooooo long. I'm seriously tempted to just drybrush. I might change my mind when I've finished these Aggressors and they end up looking awesome. Plus I think when I get to my Captains, I might be better off having practiced the more advanced techniques a little more. A bit of a dilemma!

Only about 50 to go!

Soldato
Took me freaking ages thanks to a combination of work and other such things but at last I have finished my finished Lord of Contagion (now the Lord of Flies)

lkT15Kd.jpg

YrbaGbF.jpg

Terrible pictures as usual with me but I am really, really happy with how he has turned out. Used a Plaguebearer fly head with a built out neck using green stuff, replaced the weapons with a deathshroud scythe (rebuilt the lower weapon grip again using green stuff) and just modified the stance slightly and some of his ornamentation.

Now onto his Deathshroud bodyguard!

Commissario
That guy looks really good, far better than I can ever do.

I'm currently making progress on my Lord of Skulls, making use of a simple wet palette (a couple of bits of kitchen roll under some baking paper on a GW painting palette), which combines with Vallejo Model Air black is going on far far better and faster than the Abbadon Black I was using before.
I've got to finish painting where all the metal work for the LOS will be, back to black before I can do the metals, given the time I've got before I need the model I'm probably not going to take it much past the first wash stage (I need it done before mid July and I'm slow at hand painting).

I'm starting to pick some of the skills back up, as it's been something like 2-3 years since I last painted much/anything.

Soldato
Had to get my table cleared of these last week:

20180609_161154.jpg

20180609_161233.jpg

Because reinforcements arrived:

20180609_162659.jpg

Soldato
They've been on the painting table since Christmas, perhaps longer. I have to find 5 minutes every now and again between studying and family so I have no idea how long really.

I use a steady hand, a series 7 Windsor and Newton and patience, sometimes I forgo the latter!

Commissario
Vincent those are looking so good.

I'm currently waiting for my renegades box to arrive (posted monday).
Although quite when I'm going to manage to build 6 knights is anyone's guess :p (I had 2 of the old boxes), having said that with the spray can leadbelcher I suspect I could base coat the skeleton/frame of them in no time at all, then use the airbrush to do the large armour panels fairly fast.

Man of Honour
I have 2 regular knights, 4 warglaives and a dominus. Went for a valiant because that flamer = massive luls. The rules for the knights make me hesitate painting them a particular colour scheme... the super flamer relic is for imperial knights only (not mechanicus).... but house raven (mechanicus) can advance and fire heavy weapons without penalty... choices choices.

Yup - think I’ll be treating myself to an airbrush set because the knight panels are going to look ass / take forever otherwise. Dat money though :/

Soldato
WIP

20180616_185512_1.jpg

20180616_234239_1.jpg

Sadly painted by brush, my airbrush needle is bent, thought it was on topic with the current discussion. Not too much left to do though, finish highlighting and shading the torso, paint the weapons and face plate, finish the base.

I painted it in components which I don't normally do but on something this large it has made the going much easier. I've been painting most of the armour panels in the evening this week but yesterday managed to get a few good hours in and got most of the rest of the work done. It's a race against time before I need to start putting more work back in to studies (Currently between exams) so I'm hoping to get it finished by the end of next week!

Man of Honour
It absolutely blows my mind you can paint yellows like that with a brush. As I said a month or so ago in this thread, painting yellows was a complete wtf moment for me - with the citadel paints at least, coverage is so bad and any attempt to get a consistent colour means thick, ugly coats. And here, you’re doing it in a massive model! Blown away - awesome!!!

Since I am relatively terrible, I’m thinking of getting myself something like this - thoughts? Any airbrush paint suggestions? I gather Vallejo model air is the way to go :) but the starter set is yet more £££ and has many ‘army colours’ hmm.

https://www.everythingairbrush.com/...610h-compressor-infinity-crplus-2-in-1-2.html

Commissario
Vincent, are you still sane? Everyone in my warhammer group (including an ex GW employee whose models are almost works of art) seems to hate yellow as it drives us all nuts, yet you've not only done large areas with it, but done them really well :)
I love the look of your knight.

Nitefly, that looks like a nice kit, basically the same compressor we've got and a very good airbrush (the Infinity is one model up from the Evolution, and we've got the Evo silverline and Evo ALplus).
For paints I like/have tried Vallejo model air and game air, GW Air paints work fairly well (although I did thin it slightly when decanting into dropper bottles*), and even normal GW paints can be used if you thin them down (I used about 4.5ml of thinner per pot for standard mephiston).

Personally I tend to buy the paints based on what I'm going to need in the next little while, rather than as sets so I might buy half a dozen at a time (although I did go hobby idiot at one point and bought about 30 in one go ready for painting an army and a load of scenery).

If you get the airbrush I'd suggest getting a bottle of thinner, cleaner and a spray can of liquid reamer at the same time, and possibly a 200ml bottle of Vallejo black primer (or if you're doing a horde army look at a primer that will be ok as the "base" colour to save a step in painting**).
The thinners/cleaners will be needed for routine use, and the primer is both useful for undercoating models, and as a practice medium :)

*I think they're formulated for a larger needle than the size I tend to use (smaller/finer needles tend to need thinner paints).

**If I get back to Skaven I'll be using Vallejo German Green (I think it is) as the primer and base for plague monks, and one of the browns as the base for normal troops.

Last edited:
Soldato
@No1newts - That's a great job! I really like the rust effect on the weapon and the oxidization on the metal. Very Nurgly!

@vincent1989 - Lovely Hellblasters. I like that you went with red weapons and the faces are fantastic! Knight is looking ace too.

Soldato
having a frustrating evening with transfers...anyone got any of the spare hawkshroud transfers? Or the imperial eagle the goes on the back half of the shoulder plate on the knight's right? They're so flimsy and cut so close to the symbol that there's no room for error, I've wasted probably 1/3 of all the ones I've tried to add :(

Man of Honour
having a frustrating evening with transfers...anyone got any of the spare hawkshroud transfers? Or the imperial eagle the goes on the back half of the shoulder plate on the knight's right? They're so flimsy and cut so close to the symbol that there's no room for error, I've wasted probably 1/3 of all the ones I've tried to add :(
Haven’t decided my house but if you can be patient I’ll send you my spares :)

Edit: @Werewolf thanks for the tips :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Had to get my table cleared of these last week:
These are incredible. I've got a box of ten waiting to be put together and painted. And I think there's five in the Dark Imperium box I haven't touched yet either. If they come out half as good as yours, I'll be very happy!

I've now finished 6 Reivers, 3 Aggressors and a Dreadnought. I'm happy with my progress, but they pale in comparison to the work on display in here!

I also pre-ordered Soul Wars :(

Back
Top Bottom