Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Thanks, I’ve been trying to get quicker with the rank and file and I am getting there but I find it really hard not to spend too long!

I was really happy with the blue face, going to do a bit more of that on the next batch.

I’m the same as you I have a massive pile to work through and I keep accidentally buying stuff. Might have picked up a Stompa yesterday…. Still, it’ll keep me busy and I’m determined to finish them all, it’s just about finding time for me with job, toddler, other hobbies… same story for most of us I think!

Haha the "I'm not buying anything else until i've painted everything i've got!" rule which never ever works! :p

Do you play or just paint? If you play and are just wanting to get your army done, you can get some great results on boyz and other infantry with contrast paints which speeds things up a ridiculous amount. I can paint 10 boyz in a few hours using contrast!

As mentioned in my other post, with the new contrast colours coming out im going to commit to painting everything i've got in contrast, even characters and vehicles because i'm still relatively new and just don't have the time to practice getting to an awesome painting level like yours!

Excited to push the limits of contrast and see what kind of results I can get :D

Soldato
I haven’t played since I was about 12 or 13, I am planning to get back into playing with a mate so we’re both working on armies at the moment. What I’m not doing is being sensible and painting a 500pt list first though I’m just painting whatever takes my fancy… should probably adjust that :D

Soldato
I haven’t played since I was about 12 or 13, I am planning to get back into playing with a mate so we’re both working on armies at the moment. What I’m not doing is being sensible and painting a 500pt list first though I’m just painting whatever takes my fancy… should probably adjust that :D

I find with orks you have to paint what you fancy or you'll go insane with the amount of models we've got to get through haha!

Had a big day of priming everything yesterday, over 100 models and about 20 pieces of terrain, now I can pick something off the desk and give it some paint when i've got a spare 15 mins :D

Associate
Apologies if not the correct place to post, but I doubt this warrants a new topic; does anyone have any experience painting these McFarlane Artists Proof giant 40K models?
Been wanting to paint some 40K but doubt I have the dexterity for the smaller ones, so picked a couple of these up at about £20 each. Huge and heavy but fully poseable and nicely detailed, supposedly ready for painting just like the small ones, you can pop the model parts apart and reassemble when painted. I put a Lego mini character in an image for scale.
Imy0kHD5T1JCbFs0gbNl3UJQ6cnGpt1vOr4loSYSGI6rr58ruR5rL5gjZwcq2KcGHQpoim7G56yV9fB1WX5Zz-2HqQGaAv3kN7n7ysUTzd3Fz3dskdHnB2VByWWsSpzdnyPymWW4KA=w2400

YOS3fA2CO6bRSoXeY7U1dLmD6Wty6EhYBuse3TLJVhz2MBCx0RywexHAV4Ru_abQOSN5OLRcL4SjM-I2jfMyw5pV6uLn7xOn63YdZDWzIiBChd1_aczWyPANArbMwLImeo7ibDnxxg=w2400

5LLXjWvbF1v6DR19VrS7qsA1SbZpFnr08iVVxaiTxkvPSlF2H-skOQa3dSqF6oOLZvK-bKKraZvTTLZMPHTU-Z6WVGPBBpNN18LPZzA30dg5TGd4oV-jOiw7NTq1FmoBR5Wiyg19vA=w2400

Be good to hear any thoughts on these, they do a decent range of other 40K characters too.

Soldato
Probably not what you want to hear but I find bigger stuff far more difficult to paint - trying to get smooth finishes, decent transitions etc. I find harder than on smaller stuff and you can't get away with easy cheat techniques like drybrushing everything and then drowning it in shade washes :p

That said, I've not tried a giant Space Marine myself yet! They do look pretty awesome.

Associate
I've been sorely tempted to get one of them. There's load of YT vids on painting them depending on the style you want and I've seen a lot that people have sculpted robes, spikes etc. If your trying to get smooth blends an airbrush or at least wet blending with a larger brush seems the way. The larger the model the more detail you can put into it but the general principles are the same I believe. You do need to be more careful of light positions though with the scale. Remember to remove mould lines as that one the reiver is huge :D

Associate
Thanks for insight guys, much appreciated, I'm a total painting amateur so I doubt I'll get anything good, more of simply painting in the large areas like a 3D colouring book as a hobby, but I definitely will file down the mould lines when I dismantle them like with Gundam to make it look better.

I watched a YT vid where they sculpture converted the McFarlane Space Marine to a Chaos Marine and it looked amazing, but they they do now have some official Chaos Marines too coming out. I'm also interested in the Bandai Space Marine kits but seem a lot harder to find.

Soldato
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GdYbbxA6wKyrXwaLapbZW7z4O4RRRC00

My first paint job. 6 marines and a sergeant. Imperial fists with magnetic arms on most but not all. A mix of new GW pieces, 2nd hand pieces I stripped down and some 3rd party resin/plastic bits. Used one of the new army painter speed paints for the yellow and a mix of citadel and army painter for the rest.
Looks greta mate, how you finding the speed paints? Been very tempted to give them a go.

Associate
Looks greta mate, how you finding the speed paints? Been very tempted to give them a go.
I bought the starter box set, (10 paints and 2 brushes).
The colour range seems limited to me, (or at least in my local shop they dont sell singles).
If your going to try them out I have some bits of advice.

Plan your prime in advance and think about what colours your going to use.
I did a grey/white zenithol (more emphasis on white) using cheap rattle cans and you can see the difference between the grey and white primer.
Black wouldn't have worked at all, but maybe white/yellow would have given good results.

Be very generous when applying the speed paint, slap it on in big pools on the big panels, legs, shoulders etc. If your stingy it doesn't work, you need it to puddle, flow and stain on its own.

Do not paint the stuff your not painting. Speedpaint on top of speed paint works great,if you planned for that. Not so much if you didn't. This is why I mixed up my paints. When detailing pouches, grenades and what not, it was easier to use a thicker more solid paint.

Water re activates it. So if your detailing a bit and make a mistake, your cleanup water will most likely alter your speedpaint base.
I also found that after a couple of days and with scrutiny there were places where it had just dried up totally and i could see primer.
In both cases I used a very fine brush and the speed paint to just touch it up.

Let it dry. It realy is magic, the skin tone one, the leather one all look great once you let them dry. When wet you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Double layers also works quite well. On some of the darker panels. I applied a 2nd layer after a couple of days and it worked out well.

Dont paint the bottom of your feet. It doesn't glue well at all.

I think that the imperial yellow from citadel would have given a much brighter cleaner yellow, but then i would have had to spent time edge highlighting and doing extra layers and stuff and I wanted the dirty grungy look anyway. I did spend time doing details,scratches and highlights.

A general tip. A tub of BioStrip, A glass jar with a metal lid and an old electric toothbrush are great for stripping models.
Leave them in the jar for 10-15 minutes then go to town with the brush under a warm tap.
You can just keep reusing and topping up you jar regardless of how manky it looks.

Soldato
The colour range seems limited to me, (or at least in my local shop they dont sell singles).

I did a grey/white zenithol (more emphasis on white) using cheap rattle cans and you can see the difference between the grey and white primer.
Black wouldn't have worked at all, but maybe white/yellow would have given good results.

Be very generous when applying the speed paint, slap it on in big pools on the big panels, legs, shoulders etc. If your stingy it doesn't work, you need it to puddle, flow and stain on its own.

Do not paint the stuff your not painting. Speedpaint on top of speed paint works great,if you planned for that. Not so much if you didn't. This is why I mixed up my paints. When detailing pouches, grenades and what not, it was easier to use a thicker more solid paint.

Water re activates it. So if your detailing a bit and make a mistake, your cleanup water will most likely alter your speedpaint base.
I also found that after a couple of days and with scrutiny there were places where it had just dried up totally and i could see primer.

Let it dry. It realy is magic, the skin tone one, the leather one all look great once you let them dry. When wet you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

Double layers also works quite well. On some of the darker panels. I applied a 2nd layer after a couple of days and it worked out well.

I think that the imperial yellow from citadel would have given a much brighter cleaner yellow, but then i would have had to spent time edge highlighting and doing extra layers and stuff and I wanted the dirty grungy look anyway. I did spend time doing details,scratches and highlights.

A general tip. A tub of BioStrip, A glass jar with a metal lid and an old electric toothbrush are great for stripping models.
Leave them in the jar for 10-15 minutes then go to town with the brush under a warm tap.
You can just keep reusing and topping up you jar regardless of how manky it looks.

Citadel contrasts are much the same, perfect for grungy and grimdark but probably not that great for pristine Space Marine or Tau models.

Believe the new colours come out on Saturday so looking forward to that!

Soldato

Thanks for the detailed reply!

This will be my first step into the world of contrast/speed paints, I have an army to build which is taking too long so this could offer me a good time saver.

You have ispired me to ordered a tub of biostrip so I can finally repaint the retro models I have had way too long at the bottom of my draw haha

Cheers mate

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Started painting in 2021. Did a few units of Tau and when I hit 1000pts on that army I got some Necrons as well.
Tau are painted to a standard I am happy with, Necrons are tabletop standard mostly but I havent varnished them so will go back to the cool units and do some more on them whenever.

Pile of shame currently includes:
Hammerhead
Shadowsun
10 Breachers
3 Stealth Suits
a bunch of drones
The Silent King
Void Dragon

Would like to get some more gaming done though really

View attachment nOQAJKD.jpg
View attachment B7GBbur.jpg

View attachment zJb3nFZ.jpg
View attachment Z4gPWok.jpg

Soldato
Started painting in 2021. Did a few units of Tau and when I hit 1000pts on that army I got some Necrons as well.
Tau are painted to a standard I am happy with, Necrons are tabletop standard mostly but I havent varnished them so will go back to the cool units and do some more on them whenever.

Pile of shame currently includes:
Hammerhead
Shadowsun
10 Breachers
3 Stealth Suits
a bunch of drones
The Silent King
Void Dragon

Would like to get some more gaming done though really

View attachment nOQAJKD.jpg
View attachment B7GBbur.jpg

View attachment zJb3nFZ.jpg
View attachment Z4gPWok.jpg

They look great, the Tau especially.

My current Pile o shame.... must stop buying stuff:|

Chaos Start Collecting
Chaos Cultists
Traitor Guardsmen
Ork Boyz
Killa Kans
Meganobz
Space Marine Devastators
Space Marine Dreadnought
Blood Angel Tactical Squad

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I have the odd wave of motivation that lets me smash through projects.
as a year and a half of painting, it does look like a lot but there are a few shortcuts taken here.

The Tau army started off as two start collecting boxes and a starpulse cadre box that a friend sold me. got used to painting white by hand which is a tedious task. got an airbrush at Christmas and that drastically sped up my ability to churn out Tau models.

The Necrons started off as a bit of a palate cleanser as the models were super cheap and readily available. Ended up reading more about them and really liking the range more.
Once I had painted a few I ended up with a pretty substantial pile of models that I liked. Grabbed anything I was missing from the imperium magazine so it ended up being quote cost effective.
All of my Tau stuff was painted with maximum care and precision at a desk. My Necrons were painted on a tray whilst sitting on the sofa. :p

I am sort of at the point where I don't really need any more stuff but we all know how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom