Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Yes I'm tempted but I want to see if this is something that I'm going to stick at.

So I'll make the decision when the can runs out
Ahh you have some restraint :D.
I normally crumble as soon as I take a peak at GW website or watch a YouTube video.

Have a craving for a Killteam and a war band atm and the new upcoming sets look awesome.

Caporegime
:cry:

They should just replace it without issue tbf. I've never seen that either. Pretty sure it's molded as one piece.

You could use another pot's head that you aren't using right now. I have a few spare for mixes, so worth keeping ahold of.

I popped into the local store (having forgot receipt and the pot) they just gave me a new one and said they were surprised.

I'm quite surprised the gw staff are fantastic from the first time I went in and them showing me to this everything was painless and enthusiastic. (I have a bit of social anxiety so have put it off if you're worried for similar whoever is reading don't be)

I have only seen gw getting bad press online so I would say ignore that if you go in they will show you to paint or model or play really well.

I will email the nmbers from the faulty box/bottle to them later since they were so good as it's obviously a batch problem on the mouldings.

I know have lead belcher, wraithbone and abaddon black spray can I should have just bought the damn airbrush.

This is such a relaxing hobby I've been spending quite some time painting my terrain rivets

Soldato
I popped into the local store (having forgot receipt and the pot) they just gave me a new one and said they were surprised.

I'm quite surprised the gw staff are fantastic from the first time I went in and them showing me to this everything was painless and enthusiastic. (I have a bit of social anxiety so have put it off if you're worried for similar whoever is reading don't be)

I have only seen gw getting bad press online so I would say ignore that if you go in they will show you to paint or model or play really well.

I will email the nmbers from the faulty box/bottle to them later since they were so good as it's obviously a batch problem on the mouldings.

I know have lead belcher, wraithbone and abaddon black spray can I should have just bought the damn airbrush.

This is such a relaxing hobby I've been spending quite some time painting my terrain rivets

if you are going to stick with the hobby, my one piece of advice is if you are going to move to an airbrush, for gods sake don't go cheap and buy a cheap tat compressor and a cheap tat airbursh that is impossible to take appart without knackering it. I made this mistake and gave up on airbrushing for over a year untill one day I went round a friedns and he let me use his set up and it was like night and day. Airbrushing is one of those things that if you go super cheap you may aswell not bother.

Commissario
Aye GW tend to be pretty good with stuff they make if it's obviously faulty, at least for the cheap stuff, for things like paints a GW store probably won't even blink at swapping out if the cap is obviously a factory defect regardless of if you've got the receipt on you.

As wildman says avoid cheap airbrushes/compressors if you can, they can work out well but a lot of the time the quality control isn't there and it's hard to get help or spares :(
I've seen so many people say how they tried cheap brushes and basically gave up on the idea for years because they had all sorts of "little" problems they couldn't fix or the results were always poor.

A cheap "good" brush where you can get all the parts with relative ease can be had from the likes of Harder & Steinbeck from around £60, with their Evolution 2 in 1 sets (two needle/nozzle sets and two paint cups) which are great for both smaller models and scenery from about £130.
As for compressors always try to go for one with a tank unless space is at a major premium, it means it'll always hit the chosen pressure straight from the moment you start using the brush, and avoids the possibility of "pulsing" in the air supply where there is not sufficient air in the line to even out the flow when the compressor cycles between strokes (you can overcome it by a longer airline, or IIRC Iwata use the handle in one of their portable models to act as a small smoothing tank).

Depending on where you are, always keep an eye on ebay, the likes of tattoo parlors, nail salons and dentists often put their old compressors on ebay as "collect only" due to weight, and the likes of Bambi and Jun-air models which are somewhere between a garage compressor and "airbrush" compressor can pop up really cheap. Both companies make compressors intended for what is effectively retail floor/customer facing use* so they tend to be both very quiet like a hobby airbrush compressor, and well made as they're expected to keep going for years of often heavy daily use.
I still regret a bit not bidding higher on a bambi compressor that went for ~£150 near me a few years back, especially as it came with machine that let you assemble picture frames.

*They're basically silent/medical versions of small garage compressors.

Soldato
If you have the budget it's not even close Harder & Steinbeck airbrush all the way. Best customer support I have ever used.

Cheap set ups do have their place. Priming, varnishes and some of the special effect paints.

Think that's the best head I've painted yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven’t painted much lately after finishing my Indomitus boxset off (finally), been messing around with some OSL on some Age of Sigmar models.

Will probably crack out my old speeder again soon as it was never quite 100% finished…

Associate
I've never had an issue with either GW or Wilkos spray cans, now army painter ones I have. I know some people have issues if the cans are left outside or are too cold.

Caporegime
Had a nice 1k point game this week, victory to my unconventional blood angels list vs eldar.

2 Redemptor dreads between them never killed a single model with their main weapons, only a squad of scouts and viper with their flamers and missiles. MotM was my Techmarine. His shoulder bolter took out 2 characters and his grav pistol finished off a wraithlord. Game ended on turn 2, I'd lost 3 outriders and 4 intercessors (all in the first round where I thought I was going to get tabled) and then nothing else. I held all objectives, had a lot of points from my secondaries and opponent had just 300pts left on the table.

Some seriously bad dice rolls on both sides!

Soldato
The other half picked up a brush set from pound land for me after watching me watch this video.

Size 6 and Size 1 water colour.

I must say the point on the Size 6 is amazing Dailer Rowney brushes. 1 quid for the set of 2.

Soldato
Those BAs look great! Very subtle but detailed.

I've not touched a brush in probably 2yrs now, but got myself a painting desk at my new place. Going to a tourny with some mates, just for the fun though. Looked at bulking out my swarm, i had forgot how much some Hormagaunts cost, browser tab closed... :(

Its what, £20 for a box? :confused:

So went into the store in Manchester the other day and they showed us how to paint the little free model in store qnd I got the command edition and the starter paint kit.

upload image

First model done in the store

And the first one is painted at home, not finished yet I want to try and do some high lights.

upload image

Cool, you doing Black Templars?

Associate
Its what, £20 for a box? :confused:

A full brood is 30 which is the issue. They're old flimsy models which require weights to stay stood up, that makes them prone to breakages more :(

I've got lots of models from boxsets as they're good value, but £60 is something i just don't wanna spend right now. GW's pricing is random. Old kits with 3x models is ~£30, new multipose multi weapon kit of 3x models, also ~£30

Soldato
Squats are back, with a less 'offensive' name, odd, the homeworlds of the squats were imperial and indeed traitor iirc, be interesting to see if their race has now evolved to a single strain which is a faction all of its own, seems that is how they are playing it, wonder will they break in with a 'starter set' or 'killteam' first.

Associate
Squats are back, with a less 'offensive' name, odd, the homeworlds of the squats were imperial and indeed traitor iirc, be interesting to see if their race has now evolved to a single strain which is a faction all of its own, seems that is how they are playing it, wonder will they break in with a 'starter set' or 'killteam' first.

Weren't their homeworlds supposed to have been consumed by the Tyranids? Either way it's good to see them back, gets me nostalgic for the last time I saw them in very old White Dwarf issues from the early 90's.

Back
Top Bottom