tablets to replace PCs?

smr

smr

Soldato
Hi all,

I started my own PC Repairs business in 2008 and everything has gone well since. I've noticed lately that a few of my customers, both new and old, have decided to buy an ipad. I'm worried that one day in the non too distant future that pcs will be replaced by tablets regarding my market audience, which as you can imagine tends to range mostly around middle aged people. I have quite a lot of older customers too and hardly any under 30.

Am I right to be worried? Will ipads and tablets like the nexus make personal laptops and desktop computers a thing of the past for these people?

Soldato
No, because even though tablets can do some of the things a PC can do, they can't do everything.

I think you've seen a rise in tablet use due to many factors: for instance, their age (i.e. they can be had cheaper than when they first emerged), their excellent portability and the fact that iPads are genuinely very, very easy to use compared to a PC. This is a good thing for older family members who aren't very computer literate.

I think the tablet market will grow (especially in the silver surfer market), nibbling away a little at PC and Laptop sales, but PCs will be around for a long time yet. Personally, I have both PC and iPad and I will certainly be recommending an iPad to my parents.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't imagine so. laptops/netbooks are more common now, but people still buy desktops. same with tablets. yes as more companies make them and prices drop more people will buy them, but there are certain things it wont do, or cant be done as easily as it can on a desktop and/or laptop.

Man of Honour
Nope.... iTunes still needs to go on something.

No it doesn't.

desktops are on the downward trend and will over the long term massively reduce.
But there will always be need for certain people to have desktops.

and gaming :rolleyes: wouldn't fancy playing anything on a tablet tbh
You wouldn't want to play on an i5 system with mouse, keyboard, big screen and powerfull gfx card. Ookkkkkaaayyyy. Think outside the box. Ontop of that gamers is a relatively small portion of society.

Last edited:
Soldato
It will take a huge chunk especially when proper docking for phones/pads allows you to use a full size monitor and keyboard. All the applications like office and you data will be stored on the cloud and you will access that cloud through your phone/pad and for something like word/excel you will dock into your large screen monitor. Only video editing/graphic intense activities will require the standard big box desktop computer in the future.

Computer usage among the vast majority is limited to just internet and office and you dont need a desktop or these anymore.

Soldato
The 10" screen is actually fine. I know what you mean, though, in fact, I thought going from a large desktop monitor to a 10" would be annoying, but for some reason it's fine for me. FM2012 is very well optimised for a touchscreen, too.

Not sure I'd want to play something that needs more complex controls on it, though.

Man of Honour
It will take a huge chunk especially when proper docking for phones/pads allows you to use a full size monitor and keyboard. All the applications like office and you data will be stored on the cloud and you will access that cloud through your phone/pad and for something like word/excel you will dock into your large screen monitor. Only video editing/graphic intense activities will require the standard big box desktop computer in the future.

Computer usage among the vast majority is limited to just internet and office and you dont need a desktop or these anymore.

You can just dock a massive gfx card.

Caporegime
Id expect tablets to eat a huge hole into the PC market in the next few years, especially with windows 8 coming out soon covering the other half of the market.

Fact is hardly anyone does in detail photo editing or extreme pc gaming. Tablets are fine for emailing, you tube and horrific facebook apps. They need to start making decent ones <£200 that work with win8 and its game over.

Soldato
You wouldn't want to play on an i5 system with mouse, keyboard, big screen and powerfull gfx card. Ookkkkkaaayyyy. Think outside the box. Ontop of that gamers is a relatively small portion of society.

You can just dock a massive gfx card.

so you are saying the average user will go through all that hassle (and expense) when they could just buy a desktop? I doubt it. you can get 'gaming laptops' which will be portable and play most things fine, but they are not the standard thing to own, most people will still own a desktop for this.

Man of Honour
so you are saying the average user will go through all that hassle (and expense) when they could just buy a desktop? I doubt it. you can get 'gaming laptops' which will be portable and play most things fine, but they are not the standard thing to own, most people will still own a desktop for this.

What expense and hassle?

Most people will own tablets not desktops. Most people's main point of access is going to be a tablet, so why would you spend £600+ on a tablet, then a similar amount on a desktop.

By hassle, you mean placing tablet in a dock, god that was hard work, better have a sleep.

That's the point most people won't own a desktop, it'll take time but the majority of people don't need a desktop and eventually as they become to slow and cumbersome households will throw them out.

Back
Top Bottom