Tangible measures of driving ability

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
Merlin has started with a "rate your own" ability.
Here's a few questions to make you think about how you actually drive:

1. Number of years driving - 21
2. Average mileage per year - Averaged out or current? Averaged about 40K. Current is about 10K a year
3. Number of accident claims that were your fault - One
4. Number of cars you've written off - In an accident? None. By beating the snot out of it? One
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license - Equivilant to 6 (remind me to tell you the story of my skiing trip in California sometime)
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - ZERO!! :p
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) - Silly, silly question. You all know the story of my little truck I used to have.....
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user - Heh, when in Cali this number equaled the number of times I got behind the wheel!! (wife says to add that in Cali I drove a soft top Jeep CJ5, so didn't HAVE to roll the window down...)
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - When in Oregon this equaled the number of times I got behind the wheel, hence the reason I bought the air horns. Give someone a 15-30 second blast of a high pitched semi truck horn and EVERYONE for several miles knows you are ****** (urinated)!!!
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar - My own car? A couple. But please remember I used to drive for a car mag, so quite a few in other peoples' cars.... :D
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp - Two parking tickets. Once forgot about street sweepers day in Cali. Once was late getting back to the ship and the parking lot was full.

[edit] Oh, and for merlin :
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a Canadian road - 162mph

Mind you, it was on a closed road in a sanctioned event, but it was still a public road.... :D

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
1. Number of years driving - 3

2. Average mileage per year - Average? 15k, last year, 40k

3. Number of accident claims that were your fault - 0

4. Number of cars you've written off - 1

5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license - 3

6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - 165mph (genuine tomtom shown, 180mph on speedo)

7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) - Once or twice

8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user - 0

9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - A few times, no more than a handful

10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar - 0

11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp - 0

Adz

Adz

Soldato
1. Number of years driving - 2.5
2. Average mileage per year - 20k
4. Number of cars you've written off - 0
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - 130
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) - Yes
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user - 0 (and I drive in London a lot, occasionally at 5pm)
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - 5-10
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar - 0

Soldato
1. Number of years driving 2
2. Average mileage per year 12k
3. Number of accident claims that were your fault 0
4. Number of cars you've written off 0
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license 0, touch wood....
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road 95.....i'm a wuss
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix Very rarely
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user 0
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user 2 or 3 times
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar Raced Karts every week from the age of 9 until i was about 12
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp 0

Soldato
1. Number of years driving
3 years
2. Average mileage per year
60,000-70,000
3. Number of accident claims that were your fault
4. Number of cars you've written off
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road
150mph Remember trying top speed :o
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix
Yes
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count)
Lots
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar
3 but passenger 10+
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp

Last edited:
Associate
1. Number of years driving - 3 months.
2. Average mileage per year - It's going to be about 18k I suspect.
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license - 0
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - 130mph (Not really, 70mph is the truth).
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) - Ummm, not really no.
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user - Never.
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - Twice?
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar - Twice, karting.
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp - Never.

Soldato
4 years
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix
No
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count)
A few times
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar

Soldato
1. Number of years driving - 12 years
2. Average mileage per year - 12k (was around 30k for 6 years though)
4. Number of cars you've written off - 1
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - no comment
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix - yes
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user - a few
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - 0
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar - 3

Man of Honour

7000 *well - 21000 over 3 years...*

No comment

No comment

7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No)

No

NO comment

Man of Honour
Merlin has started with a "rate your own" ability.
Here's a few questions to make you think about how you actually drive:

1. Number of years driving - 9
2. Average mileage per year 20,000
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license -3 (last year)
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - 120 indicated, 3 points @ 94.7mph
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) - No
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user - 0
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - 3? (my horn makes noddy's car sound butch)
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp - 1 from some git in boro (private company)....:mad:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
1. Number of years driving - 1
2. Average mileage per year - 30,000
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - 130 indicated, more like 120.
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) - When I first passed with my friends, yes. Not anymore though.
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - 0
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar - 5 karting, trackdays next year!

Soldato
1. Number of years driving-2
2. Average mileage per year-15,000
3. Number of accident claims that were your fault-0
4. Number of cars you've written off-0
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license-3 SP50
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road-136mph (GPS)
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No)-I have before
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user-Never
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count)-0
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar-0
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp-4 fines

Last edited:
Man of Honour
1. Number of years driving - 18
2. Average mileage per year 8000, but used to be a lot more
3. Number of accident claims that were your fault - none
4. Number of cars you've written off - none that were my fault, one that was someone else's
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license - six
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - 140mph indicated
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) - No.
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user. - None.
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) - about four
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar. - four (all karts)
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp - twice

Associate
1. Number of years driving-24 (in cars, over 30 including bikes!)
2. Average mileage per year-13,000
3. Number of accident claims that were your fault-0
4. Number of cars you've written off-0
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license-3, when I was 18
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road- 110
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No)- No
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user- 2 or 3 times
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count)- Far too often :(
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar-0
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp- 2 parking tickets

I definitely need to work on number 9 :o

Alan Woodford

Soldato
1. Number of years driving 5
2. Average mileage per year 7,500 - 10,000
3. Number of accident claims that were your fault 0
4. Number of cars you've written off 0
5. Number of points you've ever acrued on your license 0
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road 140
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) rarely
8. Number of times you've rolled the window down to shout abuse at another road user 0
9. Number of times you've used the horn in anger at another road user (using the horn to warn others in a polite manner that you've there doesn't count) could count on one hand
10. Number of times you've been on a track, e.g. with your own car, kart racing or similar 0 - something i want to fix
11. Number of times you've received a parking fine, ticket or clamp 0

With the possible exception of not that many years experience behind me the figures seem to add up. I realise that with more miles and years driving my knowledge of the roads will get better, but I do think that my driving is above average at least compared with my peer group.

One area I lack is knowing how to handle a car on edge... although I like to make progress I don't really "push" my car as such. Because of this I'd like to think about getting some time on a skid pan or something at some point in the near future.

Associate
1. Number of years driving - 8
2. Average mileage per year - 6000
6. Fastest speed you've ever driven on a UK road - 137mph
7. Do you ever get involved in traffic light grand prix (Yes/No) yes

Back
Top Bottom