Teaching myself maths

Associate
Before spending any money I suggest trying Khan Academy and also the A-Level e-books available for free here:

https://ebooks.papacambridge.com/eb...dvanced-cambridge-as-a-level-mathematics-9709

Start with Pure Maths 1, then Pure 2 and 3 and do all the practice problems at the end of each section.

Stroud Engineering Maths is a bible, but it is a massive book. For an electronics degree (2nd/3rd year +) you'll need a good understanding of vector algebra which isn't covered on Khan Academy, but comes much much later in your maths journey and is covered in Stroud Further Engineering. Certainly don't buy all 3 together at the start, you'll just blow your mind and you might eventually find you can't be bothered, at which point you'll have wasted your money. In any case you will probably never need even half of the material in Stroud Further Maths.

If you are starting from GCSE level maths, it'll take about 1-2 years of fairly regular study (~5hrs+ per week) to get to where you have a decent understanding to A-Level/Pre-University standard.

I did a lot of complex maths at university, and 16 years later have forgotten almost all of it, because I never really use it in my day to day job, and to be honest, I never really understood half of it in the first place!

Caporegime
I want to get into electronics and to do that I need to improve my maths skills by a lot.

I've done some research, and these books seem to be recommended:

Foundation Mathematics by K.A.Stroud
Engineering Mathematics by K.A.Stroud
Advanced Engineering Mathematics by K.A.Stroud

Has anyone read any of those books, or do you have something else to recommend? It'll cost me £130 to get those three books, so I want to be sure they are suitable before spending a massive amount of money on them.

Or has anyone else found an alternative way into electronics?
I'm curious why you'd need Engineering Maths for electronics?

Wouldn't that be more for building bridges and stuff?

Also, mechanics is evil. Pure evil. I'd pretty much choose my career around being able to avoid doing that type of maths. Pure and stats were fine.

Caporegime
You seem to start a lot of threads about things you're planning to do yet you don't seem to actually do them so perhaps just start slowly and try to stick with it.

I mean at the start of 2019 you were thinking about doing a maths degree, I took the time to reply in that thread with a bunch of course recommendations + a book recommendation for you:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-degree-does-anyone-have-any-advice.18845165/

Then months later you were asking again:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...maths-required-for-game-development.18872728/

So 3 years later have you actually done anything? The first book of the three you've mentioned is fairly basic so I presume not.

Why not just buy one book and try to get through that first perhaps.

Soldato

No, electronics can require quite extensive use of maths. It isnt just about putting capacitors and resistors on the board but what you are trying to achieve, the design aim. For instance signal processing or electromagnetic modelling require understanding of the underlying mathematics behind it. Yes you could be taught to design something using software but if you dont understand the fundamentals then its quite easy not to recognise that you are going down a rabbit hole and end up with a solution that is junk and not realisable.

Any electronics degree worth its salt will have a strong focus on maths

Soldato
I'm currently going through Electrical Engineering degree, just done the maths and science phase.

Depending on how good your foundation level is, it can be tricky self learning. Especially the higher end maths like laplace and fouriers transforms.

Soldato

Also, mechanics is evil. Pure evil. I'd pretty much choose my career around being able to avoid doing that type of maths. Pure and stats were fine.
Mechanics is interesting, useful and somewhat intuitive. Stats is needless piddling around with symbols and abstract concepts (IMO).

Caporegime
Mechanics is interesting, useful and somewhat intuitive. Stats is needless piddling around with symbols and abstract concepts (IMO).
I was simply saying that whilst I could understand stats, I could not even begin to wrap my head around mechanics. Even A-level mechanics was just mystifying, and I failed it horribly :p Fortunately pure and stats dragged my overall grade up to something half-respectable :p You know when something is just beyond your comprehension - that's mechanics for me :p

Associate
I was simply saying that whilst I could understand stats, I could not even begin to wrap my head around mechanics. Even A-level mechanics was just mystifying, and I failed it horribly :p Fortunately pure and stats dragged my overall grade up to something half-respectable :p You know when something is just beyond your comprehension - that's mechanics for me :p
What about statistical mechanics :eek:

Associate
I want to get into electronics and to do that I need to improve my maths skills by a lot.

I've done some research, and these books seem to be recommended:

Foundation Mathematics by K.A.Stroud
Engineering Mathematics by K.A.Stroud
Advanced Engineering Mathematics by K.A.Stroud

Has anyone read any of those books, or do you have something else to recommend? It'll cost me £130 to get those three books, so I want to be sure they are suitable before spending a massive amount of money on them.

Or has anyone else found an alternative way into electronics?

Used this book for my degree in maths. thought it was good. Everyone is different though, a lot of people really liked the Stewarts Calculus book but I absolutely hated it. Other suggestions in this thread are worth taking a look at too. But you should add what maths you need to do what you want to do.

Lastly, don't buy all three books, buy the first and see how you go.
You might
a) hate the way the book is presented/info explained
b) decide that you no longer want to do it
c) find something better.

You be able to get some (or all) at a library tbh.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Electronics is all about the maths :) well if your doing it properly that is. Then when you get further up the food chain its all about the Statistics :) Minitab FTW.

Still being a mech engineer never trust anything you cant see with the naked eye, unless you like popping caps across the room much to the annoyance of electrical engineers :)

Back
Top Bottom