Teaching of Evolution being removed in Turkish schools

Caporegime
Only a very small number of people are going to become religious after learning about it in RE so consigning it to history is going to do very little in making religion history.

RE is almost as much about learning different cultures as it is religious specifically, and it useful when you consider most people will have a good understating of one religion anyway. Teaching people about others usually makes people less isolationist and more inclusive. Ignorance is a scurge in many walks of life.

except in nearly all students eyes its a waste of time, a mark/grade they cant use, just like pse/general studies and is simply an obstacle to them passing their other subjects.

so they wont pay attention they wont learn anything and you almost certainly end up with substandard teachers.

its a waste of time and should be dropped.

Soldato
I think there is a bit of a hidden element to this - some ascribe it to some form of enlightenment and/or the rise of reason, education, etc, but Western society over the last few decades has changed to become more open, with more secularity within the structure of society and government, etc. not sure I'm describing this very well - which means that people have had more chance to live their life the way they want to and better chance to leave the confinements of a religious background and so on. I don't think the level of vocal or non-vocal atheism has changed as much as the appearance of change would seem to indicate in that respect and amongst many of the younger generations that have increasingly grown up further distanced from religion there is a complete apathy towards it rather than a rejection of it.

i think it's a combination of it becoming more socially acceptable, and in doing so apathy towards religion has become normalised.

also the switching of religions, the idea that someone might be born into a christian environment but then turn their back on it and become for example Buddhist, ie picking and choosing their faith to suit them. people are being given options, and the freedom to choose.

this idea that faith is something personal that is up to you to control not only what you have but how much you practice it, as opposed to a religion controlling your actions is the real enlightenment.

Caporegime
except in nearly all students eyes its a waste of time, a mark/grade they cant use, just like pse/general studies and is simply an obstacle to them passing their other subjects.

so they wont pay attention they wont learn anything and you almost certainly end up with substandard teachers.

It's not just about the direct learning though. It's about other things gained and garnered through the subject. At my school a lot of those who did well at RE went on to do Philosophy. The debating skills of which led on to law degrees.

Soldato
i think it's a combination of it becoming more socially acceptable, and in doing so apathy towards religion has become normalised.

also the switching of religions, the idea that someone might be born into a christian environment but then turn their back on it and become for example Buddhist, ie picking and choosing their faith to suit them. people are being given options, and the freedom to choose.

this idea that faith is something personal that is up to you to control not only what you have but how much you practice it, as opposed to a religion controlling your actions is the real enlightenment.

"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government; it is as if he would catch his people in a trap. My people are going to learn the principles of democracy, the dictates of truth and the teachings of science. Superstition must go. Let them worship as they will; every man can follow his own conscience, provided it does not interfere with sane reason or bid him against the liberty of his fellow-men."

Associate
"I have no religion, and at times I wish all religions at the bottom of the sea. He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government; it is as if he would catch his people in a trap. My people are going to learn the principles of democracy, the dictates of truth and the teachings of science. Superstition must go. Let them worship as they will; every man can follow his own conscience, provided it does not interfere with sane reason or bid him against the liberty of his fellow-men."
Lets not stop there for gods sake!

“Islam, this absurd theology of an immoral Bedouin, is a rotting corpse which poisons our lives.”

Soldato
^ Thats pretty much my main experience with RE in the UK. Understanding the basics of the other main religions. Basically putting you on a par with your understanding of Christianity in a predominantly christian country.

But does the evidence show that we are predominantly Christian anymore?

Soldato

if the infographic posted earlier can be trusted it seems so, although not being religious is now the second largest denomination.

thing is, it's not just about being christian, but how closely you follow it, how many uk christians go to church every sunday, say their prayers etc etc.

Caporegime

Doesn't really matter. There aren't many Brits that don't understand the origin of Christmas, Easter, Sundays, who Jesus was, what the Bible is etc.

We may or may not be predominantly Christian, but our culture and traditions are still strongly influenced by Christianity and they aren't going anywhere soon.

Soldato
if the infographic posted earlier can be trusted it seems so, although not being religious is now the second largest denomination.

thing is, it's not just about being christian, but how closely you follow it, how many uk christians go to church every sunday, say their prayers etc etc.

Aren't you skipping the poll which shows a less leading question of are you religious returning a majority No?

Caporegime

Might as well drop foreign languages, DT etc as well then. Just because we think it's a stupid subject doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught (from someone that detested RE and French).

PSE especially is almost a catchall subject that includes important things lie sex education and should also include things like finance and other "adult issues".

Caporegime
RE is probably worthwhile for as long as there are plenty of religious in the world... in future perhaps it can be eliminated and simply be covered in part of a history syllabus but that is probably not likely for a fair few generations yet.

Soldato
Might as well drop foreign languages, DT etc as well then. Just because we think it's a stupid subject doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught (from someone that detested RE and French).

PSE especially is almost a catchall subject that includes important things lie sex education and should also include things like finance and other "adult issues".
Can peoples knowledge of but increasing rejection of a topic taught in school really be an argument for it's continued inclusion in the curriculum based purely on tradition, the argument sounds circular!

Soldato
I'm in favour of that. Being religious shows the inability to think critically and should therefore instantly bar that individual from public office as they are not fit to make sensible decisions.

How can we put people who believe in fairy tales in charge of running the country? It's the definition of insanity.

Indeed, and that's precisely why the human race is probably doomed if technology continues to evolve while religion continues to cause social regression.
Bigger weapons in the hands of the insane means one outcome.

Back
Top Bottom