Team Group Dark Pro "8 Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black

Soldato
Enable xmp. These bundles do not come set up.

Try doing that on a Gigabyte Z370 and you will end up with 3600mhz speeds on 4000mhz speed ram.
and speaking of issues seems gigabyte have not gotten back to you yet regarding my issue with 8pack 4000mhz kit on there gaming 7 F7 bios.
or even tryed to tweak the stuff yourself and shove up a timings guide to fix gigabytes utter mess.

guess the only posts i ever see on here mostly from you is telling people to enable xmp or buy your branded custom stuff.. it was great at first but now replys go unnoticed hell im sure i posted a few in your 8pack thread that where just ignored.

but anyway its not really your fault for the issues im having or your branded memory *gigabyte just dont seem to give a crap these days* i mean how long do you have to wait for a response from them.... pretty shoddy then again i have said it before i certainly wont be buying gigabyte boards in future..

Soldato
Try doing that on a Gigabyte Z370 and you will end up with 3600mhz speeds on 4000mhz speed ram.
and speaking of issues seems gigabyte have not gotten back to you yet regarding my issue with 8pack 4000mhz kit on there gaming 7 F7 bios.
or even tryed to tweak the stuff yourself and shove up a timings guide to fix gigabytes utter mess.

guess the only posts i ever see on here mostly from you is telling people to enable xmp or buy your branded custom stuff.. it was great at first but now replys go unnoticed hell im sure i posted a few in your 8pack thread that where just ignored.

but anyway its not really your fault for the issues im having or your branded memory *gigabyte just dont seem to give a crap these days* i mean how long do you have to wait for a response from them.... pretty shoddy then again i have said it before i certainly wont be buying gigabyte boards in future..

Why can't you dial it out yourself?

Soldato
Why can't you dial it out yourself?

would take a bit of work and time, then again, is running 4 sticks of 4000hz - though to be fair to OP, he has mentioned that He tried 2 sticks and same issue . Have the same sticks my self but not 4 of them and not with aorus 7 but was mainly limited by CPU. i5 8400 wouldnt handle more then 3600hz in strix/K3 but 8700k on Gigabyte ITX/apex hit over 4100hz

Soldato
Has anyone had any issues using this memory in the Asus Crosshair 7 motherboard?

I’ve recently upgraded from a Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI motherboard to a Crosshair 7. The memory ran perfectly at 3200mhz in the Gigabyte motherboard without any tweaks (only had to set the memory profile to XMP).

With the Crosshair 7, it refuses to boot at 3000 and is unstable at 2933. I’ve set the memory voltage to 1.4 and I’ve tried going up to 16-16-16-16-36 but it will not post at 3000.

Setting it to 2T allows me to post at 2933 but is unstable.

It seems to run fine at 2800 (currently running Memtest without any errors).

Everything is the same apart from the motherboard.

CPU is a 2700X

Running the latest bios.

Update

After having a closer look at the motherboard I noticed that it said Primary against DIMM_A2 & DIMM_B2. As soon as I moved the memory from A1/B1 into A2/B2 its now running at 3200 with the default profile. :D

interesting, so the crosshair 7 board may have the same issue as my asrock where the secondary dimm slots are under spec'd.

Soldato
interesting, so the crosshair 7 board may have the same issue as my asrock where the secondary dimm slots are under spec'd.

No, not at all. trancesphere simply had his memory in the wrong slots. Loads of peeps have done the same thing in the past and no doubt loads will continue to do it in the future.
I posted some time ago that i believe a lot of the ram problems peeps have with Ryzen has nothing to do with ram or the mobo, it's simply a case of fitting the ram in the wrong slots.

Soldato
No, not at all. trancesphere simply had his memory in the wrong slots. Loads of peeps have done the same thing in the past and no doubt loads will continue to do it in the future.
I posted some time ago that i believe a lot of the ram problems peeps have with Ryzen has nothing to do with ram or the mobo, it's simply a case of fitting the ram in the wrong slots.

Why would the slots used matter if they all spec'd the same?

On my board this is what happens.

Use the 2 primary slots, can run fine at full speed.
Use the 2 secondary slots, ram isnt stable above 3000mhz
Use all 4 slots (this disproves the slot order theory in my view) ram speed limited to 3000mhz, likely due to that the secondary slots are causing the problem.

Because so few people run 4 dimms, there has been little testing done so people assume its due to mismatched kits or other alternate issues, but the giveaway is that in the manual you are told to use the primary 2 slots which if they were spec'd equal to the secondary slots it wouldnt matter.
It is sort of like you can put a graphics card in any of the full length pci-e slots, it will work, but only the first one has the full speed link to the cpu.

Someone on another forum told me the tracing for the secondary slots is not as optimal as is the primary slots hence not been capable of as high ram speeds, I dont know if its right, but it sounds plausible to me.

So the question is, if all 4 ram slots are equally capable, what is the rational explanation that ram only works at high speeds on primary slots?

I am not disagreeing with you tho that problems reported could be people putting in the wrong slots, just I feel something has been missed by a lot of the community that not all the ram slots are equally capable so when people hit issues with 4 dimms other things get blamed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why would the slots used matter if they all spec'd the same?

On my board this is what happens.

Use the 2 primary slots, can run fine at full speed.
Use the 2 secondary slots, ram isnt stable above 3000mhz
Use all 4 slots (this disproves the slot order theory in my view) ram speed limited to 3000mhz, likely due to that the secondary slots are causing the problem.

Because so few people run 4 dimms, there has been little testing done so people assume its due to mismatched kits or other alternate issues, but the giveaway is that in the manual you are told to use the primary 2 slots which if they were spec'd equal to the secondary slots it wouldnt matter.
It is sort of like you can put a graphics card in any of the full length pci-e slots, it will work, but only the first one has the full speed link to the cpu.

Someone on another forum told me the tracing for the secondary slots is not as optimal as is the primary slots hence not been capable of as high ram speeds, I dont know if its right, but it sounds plausible to me.

So the question is, if all 4 ram slots are equally capable, what is the rational explanation that ram only works at high speeds on primary slots?

I am not disagreeing with you tho that problems reported could be people putting in the wrong slots, just I feel something has been missed by a lot of the community that not all the ram slots are equally capable so when people hit issues with 4 dimms other things get blamed.

All AM4 mobo's have Primary and secondary slots, as do Intel mobo's. If you are running 1 stick you use Dimm A2, 2 sticks Dimms A2 and B2, 4 sticks then all 4 slots. It's the way that the mobo is set up to communicate with the IMC.
Ram dosn't only work at high speeds in just 2 slots, just like with Intel, the more slots you populate the more stress you put the IMC under and the less likely you are to get a higher clock on the ram.
I run 4 sticks of ram in my CH6 and the highest 24/7 stable clock i get with all 4 is 3533Mhz. If i take 2 sticks out it will happily run at 3600Mhz 24/7 stable...............not much higher so not worth the bother of only having 16GB's of ram.

Soldato
kitfit1 yeah I agree on 4 dimms but if you use "only" the secondary slots you still only putting the same stress on the IMC as the primary slots as its still only 2 dimms.

So the question is if all slots are equal spec'd why is there such a thing as primary and secondary slots? the only rational answer is because the primary slots are spec'd superior and for that reason should be used in preference.

Asrock told me this themselves for the board I have so I know its true for at least one board. An asrock expert on another forum told me the reason is because the tracing on the board for secondary slots is non optimal and as such is less likely to handle faster ram.

OcUK Staff
OK guys those running 4000mhz 8Pack dimms and Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z370 I have managed to assist them in fixing the Bios so XMP is running correctly at 4000mhz C19. See screen shot for testing.

Sadly you cant push passed 4000mhz with this Bios as a bug downclocks the divider to 3733mhz if you select 4133mhz. This is something I am working on now. But at least with this one clocking to 4000mhz is no issue with XMP c19 working perfectly.

Here is the link to download this Beta Bios I used / helped develop:
https://goo.gl/RSFz5N

It has been said on here not to buy 8Pack memory because of problems like this which are nothing at all to do with the memory just the MB vendor. I ask which other company is helping its customers in this way??? You can buy 8Pack memory in confidence I will help and follow up issues but it does take time to test all this stuff..... 3500+ Kits sold now and climbing!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
kitfit1 yeah I agree on 4 dimms but if you use "only" the secondary slots you still only putting the same stress on the IMC as the primary slots as its still only 2 dimms.

So the question is if all slots are equal spec'd why is there such a thing as primary and secondary slots? the only rational answer is because the primary slots are spec'd superior and for that reason should be used in preference.

Asrock told me this themselves for the board I have so I know its true for at least one board. An asrock expert on another forum told me the reason is because the tracing on the board for secondary slots is non optimal and as such is less likely to handle faster ram.

I'm afraid i don't agree. Ever since i can remember with any multi slot mobo's, they have all had Primary and secondary slots. Before i swapped to a Ryzen 1700 last year i had been running an x58 from launch day. Six slots (triple channel Mem) with only 3 slots populated until the last 2 years or so. Same thing applied there, put the ram in the wrong slots and it would be unstable, unpredictable, slow and generally a pain in the backside. Use the correct slots and everything was fine. The two things both the X58 and AM4 share in common ?.....................................yes, they both have IMC's. In the days of when we had a Northbridge instead of an IMC, we still had Primary and secondary slots. Before i had an X58 i had 775 with a Wolfdale E8500, again, Primary and Secondary slots.
They are not and never were spec'd differently, what the do and always have done though is address the Northbridge/IMC differently.

Caporegime
So where do I enable this XMP setting on Asus CH7 :p?

I've tried selecting one of the 3200mhz safe profiles (the stilts?) but still showing this in cpuz
UfsdXIx.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank you, that worked :)

Any idea why the other didn’t?

I would say because in Extreme Tweaker you hadn't actually selected your ram speed first. Ie, 3200, 3333, ect.
You always have to select what speed you want to run at before attempting to put timmings in. Now you know that, in future just select Manual instead of DOHCP, then select your speed and then put your timmings in or select The Stilts Timmings.
I will say though, the stilts timmings are so for out of date now, they may not be the best you could run at.

Back
Top Bottom