Tech Project Update!

Soldato
Hi,

Not sure if you remember my other thread, which seems to have been pruned, about my technology GCSE project. I was going to make a computer case out of wood in a spiral shape. Well after a few weeks of design and working out. I started to make my case. Lots and lots of different things i have had to think about, fixings, joints, placement, how to fix the components in, etc, etc..

Heres some pics! Sorry about the quality! Will get some better photos next week!

MVC-928F.JPG

MVC-929F.JPG

MVC-930F.JPG

MVC-931F.JPG

Any Comments, Questions, Ideas welcome :)

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
Permabanned
Gee, great project mate. Be interesting to see what it looks like finished. What is the shape going to end up like? Have you thought about ventilation? Keep those pictures coming.

Soldato
Tbh. I am quite shocked (in a good way.) How do you plan on standing it?

It does look very, very good. Makes me want to do something similar, but I don't have the tools.

Soldato
OP
ACPCUP said:
What is the shape going to end up like? Have you thought about ventilation? Keep those pictures coming.

Thats the case as it will look on its side. The front panel is yet to go on as is the left side (top as you look at it).

Going to put a 80mm fan at the bottom of the back panel and a 80mm at the front of the top panel :)

Soldato
OP
Sandmaster500 said:
Must have been a pain to get the wood to curve; how did you manage it?

A BIG pain. Ruined the front panel, so i need to buy some more wood. Its 3mm Ply then slots cut out on the table saw where i need it to bend. Didnt cut enough slots on the front panel so it snapped :rolleyes: Learnt the second time as you can see in the pic!

Sandmaster500 said:
What finish are you aiming for? Pure wood or pain/varnish?

Well at the moment the plan is to cover it in a Carbon Fibre vinyl! I have yet to cut a Circle into the top of the side panel, this will be covered with plexi!

Sandmaster500 said:
how is it going to stand?

Plan to make or find some metal detatchable poles that will slide into some holders on the front. Sorry its hard to explain. But when i try and get some better pics ill explain more lol!

Associate
Interesting shape, Another one wanting to know how it's going to stand!

Is it 5mm ply? 3/5mm pretty easy to bend and fix. Edit: already answered

2 x 80mm fans are you sure thats enough? there's going to be plenty of air inside to try and shift about.

Is the PSU in possition? I notice a hole for what could be the switch on the PSU but what about the lead?

What about access to drives and components ones it's all put together?

Associate
MarkLP said:
Well at the moment the plan is to cover it in a Carbon Fibre vinyl! I have yet to cut a Circle into the top of the side panel, this will be covered with plexi!

The vinyl wont stick for very long directly to the wood so you'll have to paint it first, apologies if you already knew that

Soldato
OP
Harib0 said:
Interesting shape, Another one wanting to know how it's going to stand!

Is it 5mm ply? 3/5mm pretty easy to bend and fix. Edit: already answered

2 x 80mm fans are you sure thats enough? there's going to be plenty of air inside to try and shift about.

Is the PSU in possition? I notice a hole for what could be the switch on the PSU but what about the lead?

What about access to drives and components ones it's all put together?

I'll just have to see with the 80mm fans really, i have nothing to compare it too. Its really just go with the flow, i can always put 120mm fans instead.

The PSU isnt in position yet. I have still got the rewire the Power Connector.

The left side will be removeable, but im still not 100% sure how im going to fasten it etc.. yet!

Soldato
OP
Harib0 said:
The vinyl wont stick for very long directly to the wood so you'll have to paint it first, apologies if you already knew that

Oh!! I didnt know lol! Could be a problem then! What if i mixed some sort of glue/water solution onto the wood first? then applied the vinyl?

Associate
How about hing a section in the middle for access to components and use some kind of fastenings like on flight cases.... not sure on the workability of it as the fastenings woul dned to go around the corner.

re. the vinyl, you could seal the wood with PVA glue, the problem is the wood fibres, although it's ply which is pretty smooth, there will still be fibres which will come off on the adhesive of the vinyl and over time the stickiness will be lost and the vinyl will fall off.

Soldato
See about doing after lesson work on it maybe?

What I did when I was behind in tech, depends how 'exam strict' your teachers are though ;)

Soldato
OP
Yewen said:
See about doing after lesson work on it maybe?

What I did when I was behind in tech, depends how 'exam strict' your teachers are though ;)

I am doing this at the moment, after school for an hour, on wednesdays and thursdays! It's still going to be pushing it!

I think i will try the glue idea... I can use the carbon vinyl for other stuff if it doesnt work, and i will just varnish it!

Associate
i have been told to say how good it is!! the components were nasty and sharp!! i couldnt nick the squares (crisps) out of his bag without being savaged!!
happy now mark? hehehe

Associate
Very nice, a bit more interesting than the stuff my friends are all making for their tech piece :D , don't think our school would let us do something like that.

Why 2x 80mm? It looks big enough to take 120mm and they would be quieter etc. Or do you not want a honking big 12cm hole in the front :p With a grill screwed over it it could look pretty good.

Soldato
OP
Basically its going to be trial an error, i've got nothing to compare the flow or how hot the components are going to get. I will start with 80mm then i can always go to 120mm after

Soldato
Basically its going to be trial an error, i've got nothing to compare the flow or how hot the components are going to get. I will start with 80mm then i can always go to 120mm after
You could even fit 140mm in there to be different and make some custom fan grills. Looks good mate, i cant wait to see it with the carbon fiber on.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom