Tech Project Update!

Soldato
OP
Just ordered 500ml of Wood filler.. :D:D Will look so nice :)

Also got the carbon fibre on order 5m x 610mm for £60.. won't be using all of it, so will sell what I have spare :)

Have to work out how to fix the stand next, but have a main idea in mind :)

Thanks,
Mark

Soldato
Looking at the pics I can't figure out cooling at all.

Are you intending to have blow holes to direct airflow from the top to the bottom of the case. A couple of nice 120mm Fans might do the trick. Also, I may have missed this, but how do you intend to stand the case up? Whats the mount going to be like and at what angle will it rest when upright?

Its a good project though, and a bold effort at casemaking. I would definately move on to aluminium and/or steel for your next project though as the thermal properties of wood are not conducive to heat dissipation ;)

When I was at school (a long while ago now lol!) My dad helped me make a chair out of stainless steel tubing. It was the biggest, baddest chair you are ever likely to see. I could comfortably fit myself and my sister on it, and it was sturdy as a horse. Wicked design, got me an "A" too !! :D Hoorah for creative projects !!

ck

Last edited:
Soldato
Depending on the spec of the components he may not need any fans ;)

I think he is going to have 2x 120mm fans in the roof, from what I have gathered / easiest place to put them.

But the cooling fans may not be needed, as the PSU will probably do a good job as a exhaust on its own, like in most older PC's.

Soldato
OP
This is how i plan to have the fans...

d+t%20001%20(Medium)fan.jpg

d+t%20017%20(Medium)fan.jpg

d+t%20006%20(Medium)fan.jpg

Hope that explains it abit better :)

Thanks,
Mark

Soldato
OP
Yewen said:
One little idea, how about some rubber edging around it all once you have finnished the wood, would make the lines much much cleaner than anything you can do at school and is a bit of a modding trick ;)

Found some of this in the cupboard :D

chrome%20edging.jpg

So using this around the CD / FD drives :)

Will post some pics at the end of the week!!

Mark

Soldato
OP
Sorry no pic updates!

Starting the final assemby now, glueing and screwing it all together.

Its gonna be a rush at the finish, I know it will be!

Mark

Man of Honour
That's looking good, nice one :)

One thing though - wouldn't it be better to have the air intake at the front and expel the hot air at the back?

Soldato
No, as heat rises and if the case is being stood up, which I am guessing by the way the drives are mounted, then it needs to be this way to avoid creating a hot air pocket.

Permabanned
Sweet project dude!!!

Wooden case, never would have though it my self at all like.

One think i guess thats probs defo worth asking. can you use the IO ports on the back there?? Look a bit set in too much...i might be wrong hense my asking

Soldato
OP
Drazic said:
Sweet project dude!!!

Wooden case, never would have though it my self at all like.

One think i guess thats probs defo worth asking. can you use the IO ports on the back there?? Look a bit set in too much...i might be wrong hense my asking

Thanks, They are set back abit but i dont want a big metal plate on the back really. There is certainly enough space to use all the ports though, i think the angle of the shot doesn't really help!! :)

Permabanned
Though i'd better ask thats all. You could have them poking through, no need for the big metal plate you speak of mate!!

Could wall mount this thing!!

I see ya said about carbon fiber...what you intending to do with it? I do highpower rockerty and built some of mine from it. Ie: to show my skills one of mine is 7.5ft long and 2.5'' dia, we call em 3FNC (3 fins and a nosecone). It goes to over 13,000ft and does over mach 1. On a K700w (54mm) (enough to shift a loaded car to 100mph in mear seconds easy as) we saw it go and go and then heard the boom and the onbord computer read out mach 1.5 and 21,757ft!!! It still is living today 3 years on and gets flown everytime it's nice, like today. So if ya want help with carbon fiber or any type of laminating shout for me.

Soldato
I hope there is a final update with the finish and similar attributes to this case, it's been good to follow, just like everyother interesting project log. Remember to have good folder work alongside this as it'll help, last year i got an A in resistant materials although my wordwork was quite basic.

Post some pics of the final version, and it in use :D

Soldato
OP
Hiya,

I am in desperate need of some help please! I need to, somehow, attach the side panel onto the case. Sorry if this doesnt make sense but you should get what i mean from this pic

d+t%20001%20(Medium).jpg

I can either use clamps to hold the side on or screw the side on, so its permanantly attached. This would mean the only way to access the inside would be through the little window ( this is not shown in the pic) but its basically a circle on removeable (at the moment) side of the case.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mark

Soldato
i have the best idea!!

on the corner make a type of raised woof, which is exactly the same shape as the frame you then can slot the door underneath it and then you clip it down at the other end, kinda like how you put the back onto a mobile phone...

-Neon

Soldato
OP
Neon said:
i have the best idea!!

on the corner make a type of raised woof, which is exactly the same shape as the frame you then can slot the door underneath it and then you clip it down at the other end, kinda like how you put the back onto a mobile phone...

-Neon

Hmmm, Not sure i understand what you mean :p

Back
Top Bottom