technicolor tg589vac owners thread

Associate
Hi All,

I have just updated the firmware on my SSE supplied router to 15.4 from 15.2 using the file on Nick's site.

It was well worth it. It has fixed several issues.

1. USB drives formatted NTFS are now recognised.

2. Guest wifi added.

3. Can now forward a range of ports.

Configuration not lost on flashing the upgrade.

This router was always a bit of a bargain. It is a lot better now!

Thanks Nick

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the heads up Scotch_Whisky and NickDJ for hosting the file/info.

Just updated mine and all appears to be working fine. Haven't set up the Guest WiFi yet but I can see the options there now.

One thing I would say is that the update also adds a 'guest' user to log into the router but as I didn't know what the password was set to, I decided to delete this to be on the safe side.

The rest of the settings were remembered from before the firmware flash so the update was very simple, just point the router's firmware update option to the file with the .rbi extension after extracting the zip download.

Took about 5 minutes for the new firmware to be applied and when complete the browser should reload with the main menu screen.

The last thing this router is now missing in my opinion is some QoS features so for example the Guest WiFi can be limited rather than having full bandwidth access.

Not bad for a Technicolor router though :)

Associate
Just updated firmware, very straight forward and no probs, can now plug in my 32gig USB flash drive using NTFS format and upload files/Films/etc of any size.
Thanks to, Nick, Scotch Whisky, thenewoc.

Associate
Hi. can any one help, I'm not very tech savvy with routers I have the TG589 vac v2 router supplied by SSE (the white one I had the black one before that) I am now finding that the 2 laptops I have get frequent intermittent wifi drop-offs both laptops are running Win 10 and are both uptodate at first I thought in was a Win10 problem but I take one laptop to work and connect to work wifi with no issues. ]
All my mobile devices connect wirelessly with out issue.
I've googled this to death and have tried all the so called fixes out there from rebooting to reinstalling network device, I have spoken to SSE but as nice as they are and willing to try to help I get the feeling that they're not that knowledgeable.
At my whits end.

Soldato
OP
Hi. can any one help, I'm not very tech savvy with routers I have the TG589 vac v2 router supplied by SSE (the white one I had the black one before that) I am now finding that the 2 laptops I have get frequent intermittent wifi drop-offs both laptops are running Win 10 and are both uptodate at first I thought in was a Win10 problem but I take one laptop to work and connect to work wifi with no issues. ]
I've googled this to death and have tried all the so called fixes out there from rebooting to reinstalling network device, I have spoken to SSE but as nice as they are and willing to try to help I get the feeling that they're not that knowledgeable.
At my whits end.

Does this happen regardless of how far away you are from the router?

If you log in to the router settings via its web interface and go into the wireless settings for the 2.4GHz signal, there should be an option for 'Channel Width'. You may have to click on 'show advanced' towards the top of that settings page for the 'Channel Width' option to be visible. The 'Channel Width' may be set to 'Auto' or '20 MHz'. If it's set to anything other than '20 MHz' try changing it to '20 MHz' and click 'Save'.

In the same wireless settings page as above there's also an 'Analyzer' option for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals. Use these to check whether you're using a WiFi channel that is in common use by neighbours, choose a lesser used channel (for 2.4GHz signal, one of these: 1, 6 or 11) that preferably doesn't overlap with others close by.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Deggerz,
I am not the best person to help with routers but this is what I would check. ( try thenewoc ideas first lol)
Have you had a look in the Gateway 192.168.1.1 ?

What security mode are you using as it only seems to affect the Laptops and not the phones? mine is WPA-WPA2 P2K. I have had laptops in the past could not use certain security modes, but if your laptops are new they should be OK.

It could be that the selected router wifi channel is not good enough.
My Access point channel number is 6 for the 2.4GHZ wifi
and Access point channel number is 44 for the 5.0GHZ wifi
They do vary I suppose from area to area but you could try changing them.

Associate
At my whits end.

Having the exact same issue here mate, I'm running the TG589vac v2 Software Version 16.2 and both my MacBook Pro and iPhone are constantly dropping the connection (WiFi still appears to be connected but no actual internet connection). Did you find a solution for this?

Associate
Having the exact same issue here mate, I'm running the TG589vac v2 Software Version 16.2 and both my MacBook Pro and iPhone are constantly dropping the connection (WiFi still appears to be connected but no actual internet connection). Did you find a solution for this?

If it's any bearing, I upgraded from Lime (15.2) on the TG589vac and the 5GHz is as flaky as hell. Doesn't matter what is connected the 2.4GHz is way more stable.

Associate
Hi, sorry I am completely out of my depth with this issue. But having connection issues with my tg589vac v2.one minute The ppp shows connected Then at random intervals ppp status stays at "connecting", and get the message additional "log on information may be required" when trying to use internet on any devices. I have spoken at length with sse, but they aren't knowledgeable about the router at all so no help and not connected for a week now with lots of work that needs doing.
They said I was using the wrong username and password so changed it as they said. But the same problem keeps coming up. Hoping this is just due to poor configuration or something I can sort from here, as the complaints process with sse is really slow.
Notice if i go into diagnostics, under "connection" it says
DSL is fine
Ppp: connecting
No address assigned for both ipv4 and ipv6
And then "not all pings were answered or not connected"
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Soldato
OP
Hi, sorry I am completely out of my depth with this issue. But having connection issues with my tg589vac v2.one minute The ppp shows connected Then at random intervals ppp status stays at "connecting", and get the message additional "log on information may be required" when trying to use internet on any devices. I have spoken at length with sse, but they aren't knowledgeable about the router at all so no help and not connected for a week now with lots of work that needs doing.
They said I was using the wrong username and password so changed it as they said. But the same problem keeps coming up. Hoping this is just due to poor configuration or something I can sort from here, as the complaints process with sse is really slow.
Notice if i go into diagnostics, under "connection" it says
DSL is fine
Ppp: connecting
No address assigned for both ipv4 and ipv6
And then "not all pings were answered or not connected"
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

I take it you're using the thompson router as an all in one device rather than it being connected to a separate Openreach modem.

Is the router connected to your bt master socket?

Are you using separate micro filters or a filtered faceplate that sits on top of your bt master socket?

If it connects some of the time I doubt it would be configuration, sounds more like a cable / physical connection issue, either in your home or somewhere between your home and the exchange.

If you have a NTE5 type bt master socket, these are the square type sockets that have a separate removable bottom section, you could try removing the bottom section (two screws to remove, one either side) and that will reveal the test socket. Plug the dsl cable from your router into the test socket on the bt master socket and see if the problem persists.

How does the telephone line sound, do you get a nice clear dial tone, without hissing or cracking?

Is this the first time you've had fibre at this property?

Did an Openreach engineer swap your bt master socket faceplate for a filtered faceplate?

Can you take a picture of the bt master socket including the inside of it?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi. Thanks for the reply. It is always plugged into the master socket anyway. Have tried taking the front off and plugging in behind it but no change. Also interestingly the problem is no longer intermittent but permanent now.
Here is a link that shows the type of master socket I have.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b..._AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=By4zb3We3l2egM:
A similar but slightly different issue happened when we first started with SSE and that turned out to be an issue at the cabinet. SSE have finalky offered to send out an engineer. But due to the holidays and the fact we are away for 2 weeks next week. Nobody will be able to come for nearly a month...
Yes this is the first time we have had fibre
I have another router here. A tg582n. But that was with Plusnet. Would I be able to use this instead, to check if it is a problem with the router?

Soldato
OP
Hi,

What I was trying to get at was did an engineer come into your home to set up your fibre and replace your socket? I'm wondering if a wire isn't punched down properly in your master socket. Obviously it was working before you had fibre so it could be the quality of termination in the master socket or a fault at the cabinet or a faulty port on the equipment at the exchange. Hopefully the engineer can trace it back to the cause. The fact that the problem is permanent now makes me wonder if there is indeed a loose connection in the master socket.

I think that tg582n is just a router so you might be able to use it if you had an openreach modem but i'm guessing your tg599vac v2 was all you were supplied with as that is how they do it now with an all in one device. So to use another router you almost always need a separate fibre modem, (normally this is an Openreach fibre modem, either the Huawei one or the ECI one depending on what type of street cabinet you have) as there are not many fibre routers that also have the fibre modem in them. You'd also need to know what your SSE username and password are along with various other settings from within the web admin area when logging into your existing router.

Associate
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Is the cabinet the big green box sticking out the ground outside my house? If it is. There are kids always playing on it and kicking it etc. So maybe they loosened something. Guess I will have to wait for an engineer. Thanks so much for trying to help.

Associate
Hi All,
I have tried to keep this short and I am about to give up on it but I thought someone on Overclockers could sort it.
I updated the firmware on my SSE supplied router to 15.4 from 15.2 using the file on Nick's site and since then I have been using a USB drive formatted to NTFS for about 3 months.
The drive is a Crucial M4 SSD 128GB SATA 6Gb/s and I have used a drive Adapter ( USB3.0 SATA ) that has 2 flying leads 1 is USB power supply, the other is a USB 3.0 port. I have had both leads plugged into the router just in case but it does work fine without the power lead.

But in the last week, the drive stopped showing up on my Samsung TV which is hard wired to the TG589vac Router using one of the Lan ports.
Without fail the router drive always showed up on the TV as an AV source using the Linux Penguin icon as shown it the picture.

Today I tried plugging in my old HP32gig USB drive and it showed up as it should on the PC as Linux and also on the TV and worked fine.

I then plugged in the NTFS drive and it will not show on the TV but does show on the PC just as a Mapped network drive.

I decided the clean the NTFS drive and delete a few folders one called " .dlna " inside this folder were 3 files one of which was corrupt and
I thought I had found the problem. It would not delete, so I had to use right-click/properties/tools/check/repair...........this removed
the damaged file.
But I decided to remove all video's etc and start from scratch and reformat.

Still no joy, it will not show up on the TV, in other words, it is not recognised as a DLNA device, and I was hoping someone on Overclockers could help me sort it out.

I don't understand where the " .dlna " folder came from originally, but I am sure it was the cause of the problem.

Associate
Hi, is there any way to make this router just to be a modem so then I can connect my other router I bought my self to be the main router. Thanks

The simplest option is presumably to turn off the wireless network/s, plug your router into the Technicolor via ethernet, and then run all your wired and wireless clients off your router.

Back
Top Bottom