Tennis

fez

fez

Caporegime
Interesting article on the BBC about her. Doesn't necessarily paint her core team in the best light but maybe thats just me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61464603

Makes it sound like she/her dad are some sort of super-duo that absorb the tiny nugget of useful information a coach has before dumping them because they haven't revolutionised her tennis in 6 weeks.

Who knows where the truth lies but I'm sure we will find out if shes top class over the next few years or if the distractions of fame and wealth are too much. Seems like a good lass so fingers crossed.

Interesting article on the BBC about her. Doesn't necessarily paint her core team in the best light but maybe thats just me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61464603

Makes it sound like she/her dad are some sort of super-duo that absorb the tiny nugget of useful information a coach has before dumping them because they haven't revolutionised her tennis in 6 weeks.

Who knows where the truth lies but I'm sure we will find out if shes top class over the next few years or if the distractions of fame and wealth are too much. Seems like a good lass so fingers crossed.
Her father does sound like a bit of a tyrant.

Man of Honour
A lot of players moaning about the add pressure effecting them because they are losing their points. Pathetic IYAM and same for Osaka saying it’ll feel like an exhibition.

Play for the love of the game, it’s bloody Wimbledon ffs

Some of the comments some of the players are making are just embarrassing. Rich entitled spoilt brats. It’s just tennis, it’s not like they are being raped and murdered in Ukraine.

Soldato
Caporegime
"French Open: Top seed Iga Swiatek 'disappointed and surprised' by Amelie Mauresmo comments"

Swiatek disappointed by someone's opinion, an opinion that just happens to be absolutely true and correct, and the someone from which it comes is a highly respected female tennis player as well as senior in the administration.

This opinion is that "women's games were not as appealing as men's matches." Undeniably true but I guess DEI trumps the truth these days.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
I do find it funny how equal prize money in tennis is held up as proof that every sport should do it. The mens game is still much more popular, has far more star players and has, over the past 15 years or so had some of the best male tennis players ever and easily the best rivalries ever. Thats ignoring the number of sets the men play vs the women.

I would argue that you could take the womens game out of wimbledon and it wouldn't suffer much. Take the mens game away and it wouldn't get half the attention or viewership.

Anyone who has watched a lot of tennis over the years and thinks the womens game is even close to being as entertaining or interesting as the mens is in cloud cuckoo land.

As @Participant says though, the only time you can have an opinion is when its the right one and follows the ridiculous modern idea that everyone is equal and the same and to suggest otherwise is an exhibition of hate.

Man of Honour
"French Open: Top seed Iga Swiatek 'disappointed and surprised' by Amelie Mauresmo comments"

Swiatek disappointed by someone's opinion, an opinion that just happens to be absolutely true and correct, and the someone from which is comes is a highly respected female tennis player as well as senior in the administration.

This opinion is that "women's games were not as appealing as men's matches." Undeniably true but I guess DEI trumps the truth these days.

An opinion shared by many, including most of the women in my family :p

fez

fez

Caporegime
Are women still too weak to play 5 sets?

No, but making them play 5 sets would result in a lower quality of tennis. They wouldn't be able to sustain the pace for 5 sets so either there would be a large fall off in quality after 3 sets or they would reduce the quality of the first 3 sets to retain energy for the last 2.

There is an argument that womens football should be adapted slightly as well due to the average size and athleticism of elite players. Slightly smaller goals and slightly smaller pitches to make things better.

I'm sure there are stats out there for all of this but after a very brief google. The average womens wimbledon final was 91 minutes a few years ago and the mens, 151. On a straight up "how much time do you entertain people for" metric women are delivering about 60% of the value of the mens game.

There are logistical issues as well. If you made womens tennis 5 sets you would have to extend the run time of Wimbledon to fit them all in.

Honestly, I don't really watch much of the womens game because I find that its just a poor imitation of the mens game and we have been utterly spoilt with the quality of Nadal, Djokovic, Federer and Murray over the past 15 years. If they wanted to make the womens matches 5 sets they can go for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom