Tennis

Caporegime
Just heard (haven't found a link yet) - Novak is suing the Aussie government for inhumane treatment and loss of earnings :rolleyes:.

Edit - 'ill treatment' and only found a DE link so far.

Soldato
What an idiot, just keep digging.

Kind of gutted for Murray but the bloke really needs to just retire. Just ruining his legacy at this rate. Never ever going to be any where near the level he was and at this point is just taking WC for the sake of it - even if he did get to R2 this time round.

Soldato
Doubts over timing of Covid test

If Djokovic did get his test results falsified, it should, but won't, result in every country banning him and retirement/imprisonment.
It's obviously what happened, he got a dodgy result cooked up which is why he was apparently galavanting all over the place when he was 'positive' cos he was never positive but couldn't say that now as he's too deep in the lie!

This should be made a much bigger deal of but Serbia will just brush it under the carpet and that'll be the end of it.

Caporegime
Ash Barty’s just announced her retirement, she’s only 25 so hope it’s a choice she’s made rather than a choice she’s had to make due to illness or other reasons.

Also, Nadal’s out for 6 weeks and looks doubtful for the French Open.

Not uncommon especially for female tennis players to retire early. Most come back though. Hell even Kim Clijsters came back last year.

Must admit I much prefer watching the men.

But because of this I have never really kept up with the women's game so wasn't aware that it was common for the women to retire early.

I hope she finds happiness and success in whatever it is she chooses to do next.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61161016

Wimbledon bans Russian and Belarusian players.

Shocking short sighted decision in my view given that tennis is mostly an individual sport, and players such as Medvedev have lived in France or elsewhere for a large part of their lives. Rubles still lives in Russia and is connected to an Oligarch but was one of the first to come out against the war. No other major tennis tournaments have seen fit to ban players who hold Russian nationality.

On the other hand, I'm curious to see what they do about players such as Bublik. A Russian, born in Russia, living in Russia playing under a Kazakstan flag of convenience.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wimbledon bans Russian and Belarusian players.

Its a tricky one because they are not doing it out of spite towards people who happen to have been born in the "wrong" country, they are simply trying to be part of putting pressure on all aspects of Russian foreign influence and prestige.

You could make the argument against almost every sanction if you consider the human cost to the average Russian. The other question is should normal Russians who support Putin be punished when they are a victim of state manipulation. Same with China. I mean, its the same with most countries. Americans are fantastically patriotic and find inventive ways to convince themselves they are the greatest nation on earth and paragons of moral virtue while torturing and killing abroad to further their own goals.

Lets be honest, most professional tennis players can much more easily weather not being allowed to play in a tournament than someone working for a company that has exited Russia can afford to be jobless.

Basically there is no right answer to this and sometimes you take the nuclear option for maximum impact.

Then again maybe we should just do what the olympics did. Ban Russia and make it so that no one could possible ever know where these athletes from parts unknown are actually from...

Back
Top Bottom