Tennis

Alcaraz is something! Great player and he will win this many more times. I'm not huge on Novak, but the fact he has been doing this consistently for so long is incredible.
I agree. He has clear pathway, not many good men's players at the moment.

Good final I thought. The fact that Alcaraz can make Djokovic look quite ordinary shows what an amazing talent he is, and it's nice to see the new guard taking over ... although I don't think we've seen the last of Djokovic, he's probably got more wins in him, and the fact he reached the final after knee surgery just a month ago is pretty incredible.

No matter how good he has been - a 37 year old should not be getting to the final of a major tournament, some of the young players need to take a look at themselves.

No matter how good he has been - a 37 year old should not be getting to the final of a major tournament, some of the young players need to take a look at themselves.

Been the case for a years though! I completely agree! Andrew Castle mentioned mid way through the first set that he (you can include Roger and Rafa) have seen off multiple generations.

It’s there to be grabbed. Carlo can go onto get 10 slams. Sinner needs to up his game as well. The two of them can go onto win several.

I like Medvedev but he just doesn’t have the consistency to dominate the tour. Hes got the ability though with having 5 or 6 slam finals.

Good final I thought. The fact that Alcaraz can make Djokovic look quite ordinary shows what an amazing talent he is, and it's nice to see the new guard taking over ... although I don't think we've seen the last of Djokovic, he's probably got more wins in him, and the fact he reached the final after knee surgery just a month ago is pretty incredible.
Djokovic is almost twice Alcaraz age...

Sorry but Alvarez throughout this tournament has not looked a patch over prime Djokovic /Nadal /federa and even Andy Murray

Sport's changed a lot over the last decade or two.

Sports science, a better understanding of nutrition and a wide variety of recovery techniques have all helped to prolong the careers of the very best.

If, at 37, Djokovic is almost as fit as the best young players, if not fitter, then his massive experience advantage will see him overcome all but the top few players more often than not.

Djokovic is almost twice Alcaraz age...

Sorry but Alvarez throughout this tournament has not looked a patch over prime Djokovic /Nadal /federa and even Andy Murray

When Andy Murray was injured and could barely move at that wimbledon that basically finished his career he still managed to easily get to the QF, I don’t even think he got taken to 5 sets until he got knocked out.

Those 4 rarely if ever got taken to 5 sets in the opening week of any slam even when injured. They were just so far ahead of everyone else. Just been injuries that have cost them in most cases. Rafa fully fit he probably wins every FO since qualified.

When Andy Murray was injured and could barely move at that wimbledon that basically finished his career he still managed to easily get to the QF, I don’t even think he got taken to 5 sets until he got knocked out.

Those 4 rarely if ever got taken to 5 sets in the opening week of any slam even when injured. They were just so far ahead of everyone else. Just been injuries that have cost them in most cases. Rafa fully fit he probably wins every FO since qualified.
Yea the levels where way better. Alcaraz has had a few 5 sets against opponents I ain't heard of.

He would get beaten straight sets 6:2 on each set by the big 4 I mentioned at there prime easily.

Heck I bet if u bring our feder straight off the couch now he would take a set off if Alcaraz.

Too much hype from this guy imo

Yea the levels where way better. Alcaraz has had a few 5 sets against opponents I ain't heard of.

He would get beaten straight sets 6:2 on each set by the big 4 I mentioned at there prime easily.

Heck I bet if u bring our feder straight off the couch now he would take a set off if Alcaraz.

Too much hype from this guy imo
Nonsense. Alcaraz is the most complete 21 year old that I have seen, and by some distance. Don't take me word for it, just listen to what his competitors say about him.
If he can keep the hungry, and stay fit, then the sky is the limit.

Nonsense. Alcaraz is the most complete 21 year old that I have seen, and by some distance. Don't take me word for it, just listen to what his competitors say about him.
If he can keep the hungry, and stay fit, then the sky is the limit.
Na disagree. His not. He had two games in Wimbledon where he struggled.

Federa and Nadal at 21 where miles ahead

Last edited:
That's because they had more competition
Perfect example of Rose tinted glasses.

Federer's first 7 slam finals were against.

Philippoussis
Safin
Roddick * 2
Hewitt
Agassi
Baghdatis

Only Agassi is a truly great player out of those but he was well past his best in 2005. And it wasn't like there was a lot of depth either. If you exclude Federer anyone in the current top 5 would dominate that era. Plenty of players in the current top 20 would win slams.

Last edited:
Sampras was still rocking about when Fed was coming through as well.

Safin was brilliant back in the day. Roddick and Hewitt looked like world beaters under Roger turned up and slapped them about.

Obviously a ridiculous statement here but if Alcaraz was 5 years older he’d have been playing them lot in their early 30s and wouldn’t have had a sniff at a slam.

Perfect timing for him. He’s got the potential to dominate for the next decade he needs to get his consistency up though. To win 2 slams in a season and not even be near #1 isn’t great. Although peaking at the slams is probably the best bet.

Rafa back on court today and plays against Leo Borg!

I've been saying this for years. The new generation has been an embarrassment all things considered. The golden generation has dominated well past their time and should have been retired by the younger generation a few years ago at least.

No idea whats gone wrong in Tennis over the past 15 or so years but the quality coming through has been poor.

Just because 3 of the greatest players of all time (the greatest in terms of pure numbers) dominated an era it doesn't mean that those that have come at the end of that era are poor. It's a damned hard act to follow.

The mental fortitude and tactical flexibility seems to be what's lacking most, the ability to find a way back into a match when things aren't going their way.

Alcaraz seems to have that, being able to overcome rough patches and find solutions. He's still young so could still find the consistency to become a dominant player. Whether or not he can get to the same level as the big 3 remains to be seen, but I can see him winning well north of 10 slams if he remains fit and keeps improving.

Back
Top Bottom