Terminator: Dark Fate

Soldato
been re watching the films as GF had not seen them. 1 and 2 , well i don't need to go there. well actually i watched the extended cut of T2 and i really prefer the theatrical version

If the theatrical cut of T2 just had the part where they remove his chip to allow him to learn it would be perfect for me. I don't like any of the other extra parts. In the same way I don't like seeing Newts family in the Aliens special edition I much prefer seeing less of Dyson's family till Terminator Sarah turns up.

Just like Salvation and Genesys I will never ever watch this new film. T3 is one of the only films I have ever turned off in disgust. T2 is in my top 5 all time films, it ended the franchise for me and that is fine.

Caporegime
OP
Just like Salvation and Genesys I will never ever watch this new film. T3 is one of the only films I have ever turned off in disgust. T2 is in my top 5 all time films, it ended the franchise for me and that is fine.

Could you be a bit more dramatic? It's just a movie ffs.

Caporegime
It had potential

It also had a ****** director and a story that made no sense.

Didn't the terminator at the end throw John Connor around rather than just killing him instantly?

Caporegime
OP
Sometimes feel like I'm the only one who really liked Salvation.

The terminator movie set in the future that inexplicably had barely any terminators in it?

It had potential

It also had a ****** director and a story that made no sense.

Didn't the terminator at the end throw John Connor around rather than just killing him instantly?

Yup, its sole purpose is to kill John Connor but instead of doing that lets chuck him around instead of pulling his head out of his ass.

Caporegime
OP
Didn't say it was perfect :D

It could have been a good movie but they took the wrong approach to it, they set it early in the future war instead of the future war that's always been in flashbacks. Just looked like a random desert area with a couple of older terminators farting around not doing much.

The original ending that leaked was supposedly only part of what happened:

There was talk on the Internet about an alternate ending where Connor dies and they take Connor’s likeness and put it on top of Marcus Wright’s machine body. So that it’s actually a machine that’s leading the resistance! And the Internet caught wind of that and people went,’That’s bulls—! We don’t want that!'”

McG grins. “Well, that’s not really what the ending was.”

Actually, the bloggers were on the right track. Except, McG adds, the original ending actually went even further.

“Connor dies, okay? He’s dead,” McG continues. “And Marcus offers his physical body, so Connor’s exterior is put on top of his machine body.It looks like Connor, but it’s really Marcus underneath. And all of the characters we care about (Kyle Reese, Connor’s wife Kate, etc.) are brought into the room to see him and they think it’s Connor. And Connor Gets up and then there’s a small flicker of red in his eyes and he shoots Kate, he shoots Kyle, he shoots everybody in the room. Fade to black. End of movie. Skynet wins. F— you!”

McG says the studio had signed off on this original dark-as-night ending. But something about it didn’t smell right to him in the end.How could a movie with a reported budget of $200 million and a possible future of sequels possibly end that way?

Soldato
It could have been a good movie but they took the wrong approach to it, they set it early in the future war instead of the future war that's always been in flashbacks. Just looked like a random desert area with a couple of older terminators farting around not doing much. .

Yeah, thats the biggest disappointment of the movie in that it's nothing like the future war we've always seen. I can poke holes in it all day but i've watched it multiple times since it came out and could happily watch it again...I just enjoy it.

Soldato
Salvation was intended to be part of a trilogy from the get go from what I understand, the 'future war' most of the fans were after was supposedly going to shown in the later movies. Funnily enough, I don't think Salvation did that badly financially either, the main reason we didn't get a continuation was due to licensing issues regarding the film rights.

Soldato
Salvation was intended to be part of a trilogy from the get go from what I understand, the 'future war' most of the fans were after was supposedly going to shown in the later movies. Funnily enough, I don't think Salvation did that badly financially either, the main reason we didn't get a continuation was due to licensing issues regarding the film rights.
Pretty sure it lost money, tbh.

Soldato
Pretty sure it lost money, tbh.

To my memory the movie made almost 400 million (globally) on a 200 million budget in cinemas, I believe the rule of thumb to break even is double the production budget. The movie should have made some profit with bluray/dvd sales and merch etc, although probably not fantastic it would still have been in the green.

Soldato
If your marketing budget is $200 million then now is probably a good time to ween your marketing execs off of hookers and crack ;)

You'd be surprised at how much can get spent on marketing, although that isn't entirely the reason why there's the "double the production cost" rule of thumb for breaking even, and even then that estimate isn't always accurate and can swing one way or the other.

This is a good read: https://bombreport.com/articles/when-does-a-movie-break-even-at-the-box-office/

There's a lot of things people tend to forget or not realise when it comes to movies, much of which are post production costs.

Caporegime
You'd be surprised at how much can get spent on marketing
That wasn't really my point.

Salesmen are generally good at selling themselves and getting paid a lot of money (unsurprisingly). I just wonder how much of it is money well spent :) Hence the slightly facetious "hookers and crack" comment.

Back
Top Bottom