Terminator: Dark Fate

Caporegime
OP
Agree that it's not a T1000 and I wasn't making a comparison with the T1000 when I first saw it. Only that on the video, it looked like a bad "Liquify" filter job gone bad, instead of cutting edge looking graphics; it looked like a smudge effect/filter was used instead to make the movement and that's what put me off back when I first saw it (you can check my post a few pages back, again, same thing I said). I can't remember if I compared it to the T3000/T4000 from Genisys or not, but that one had a feel of many small robots working together (also nano-tech), this one (visually, from the trailer so far) doesn't have that feel.

Well they did release a trailer with that really obvious cg version of the terminator throwing a metal pole (and even slowed it down in that sequence to make it more obvious for some reason), so pretty confident the final movie will have the fx upto snuff :)

Soldato

So "Carl" a Terminator is sat with a nice calm dog, presumably as a way of showing that "Carl" is no longer a threat that a dog would react to, so all Skynet needed to do was give each Terminator a pet dog and they'd have been OK for better infiltration :D

This looks more dumpster fire with each viewing!

Caporegime
OP
So "Carl" a Terminator is sat with a nice calm dog, presumably as a way of showing that "Carl" is no longer a threat that a dog would react to, so all Skynet needed to do was give each Terminator a pet dog and they'd have been OK for better infiltration :D

This looks more dumpster fire with each viewing!

Not really, it was said in T2 that their cpu is a learning computer and the longer they're around humans the more they learn about them, how they act etc. When this Terminator was sent back he was young, so this is literally years of being around humans. Probably not something that can be pre-programmed and can only be learned with time.

It does seem a bit hokey out of context with the name and the Dog, but this is something that was laid down in T2 and its adhering to that. You seen signs of the terminator learning in t2 in the final act of the movie, so years of it could easily lead to this. :)

Soldato
The "Learning CPU" in the T800 had to be manually set to "learn" as shown in a great scene in T2 where Sarah and John physically open the terminators skull to remove the chip and set it to Learn and it's where John finally gets Sarah to believe in him for the first time and she let's him start leading from that point.

Caporegime
OP
The "Learning CPU" in the T800 had to be manually set to "learn" as shown in a great scene in T2 where Sarah and John physically open the terminators skull to remove the chip and set it to Learn and it's where John finally gets Sarah to believe in him for the first time and she let's him start leading from that point.

That was the case in the directors cut, in the theatrical release that scene was cut and they made the case that they learn just by being around humans. It was removed due to the movie being too long and they could explain the terminator learning without it.

Last edited:
Soldato
That was the case in the directors cut, in the theatrical release that scene was cut and they made the case that they learn just by being around humans. It was removed due to the movie being too long and they could explain the terminator learning without it.

Which never made any sense, a remorseless killing machine that, if it hunted humans long enough, would gain "feelings" from being around them and would and stop killing - vs the DC version "its a switch" which made 100% sense!

Caporegime
OP
Which never made any sense, a remorseless killing machine that, if it hunted humans long enough, would gain "feelings" from being around them and would and stop killing - vs the DC version "its a switch" which made 100% sense!

It's meant to be an infiltration unit so you would think learning human behaviour would be an asset rather than just looking like a human it could act more like one as well. Not like Arnold in T800 mode at the start of T-2 is inconspicuous with how he acts.

Plus with this timeline with "Legion" even if it came down to a cpu switch who's to say that they're still set to read only? It'll probably be explained better in the movie, but right now the cpu switch scene is irrelevant as it was removed from the final cut.

Soldato
you could argue it's an ****** stupid concept anyways - if you're building/designing a machine that has no other objective than to hunt and kill prey why would you bother putting a switch like that in anyway? especially if you send them all out w/ it switched off, and especially if you have to start cutting up the machine's camo covering to get to it.

Soldato
you could argue it's an ****** stupid concept anyways - if you're building/designing a machine that has no other objective than to hunt and kill prey why would you bother putting a switch like that in anyway? especially if you send them all out w/ it switched off, and especially if you have to start cutting up the machine's camo covering to get to it.

My guess would be that, as a neural net processor, the CPU is constantly learning and evolving, so Skynet needed to add something like a switch to physically stop the CPU from learning (rather than an software switch which might be over-ridden) and put the CPU in a position which would make it impossible for a single Terminator to change it's own switch should it want to. So it's more about Skynet wanting to keep it's external infiltration units on a short leash when they're operating autonomously on missions and therefore when not connected to Skynet for Command & Control.

Thats my guess anyway.

Soldato
Taken from the very quick discussion in T2 it's a function of the way the CPU works, it HAS to learn, so it I would think thats why it needs something external (like a switch) to stop it when it's away from the direct control of Skynet - although it's all conjecture at this point TBH but I like the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom