Terminator, Robocop, judge dredd

Associate
Action film from the late 90s so still counts and often overlooked is Ronin with De Niro, if you like car chases probably some of the best

Soldato
I bet I'm the only one who remembers the Rutger Hauer's other film "Salute of the Jugger". A film so bad its good, then bad again out the other side.

Caporegime
That's a lot of childhood movie nostalgia you have missed out on, but even better now becaus eyou can get the full grasp of the messages and plot that they had which as a kid you'd have glossed over anyway only focusing on the gory action and cheesy lines back then :D

As for 80s/90s scifi...

Goonies
The Thing
Flight of the Navigator
E.T.
Predator
Blade Runner
Alien (all of then)
Batteries Not Included
Inner Space
Short Circuit
Gremlins
2001 Space Odyssey (ok not quite the same era but still a marvel)
FLash Gordon
Masters of the Universe (He-Man)
Sphere
Ghostbusters
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Fly
Total Recall
The Matrix
Demolition Man
Equilibrium
Fifth Element
Contact
Cube
Clockwork Orange
Galaxy Quest (parody of Star Wars, very good)
The Abyss
Back to the Future trilogy
Species
Event Horizon
Starship Troopers

That will last a while.

This list passes muster and receives a Gold Star award.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I bet I'm the only one who remembers the Rutger Hauer's other film "Salute of the Jugger". A film so bad its good, then bad again out the other side.
The so bad it's good award has to go to Battlefield Earth.

My mate and I rinsed it to shreds when we worked at a movies store during our teens and basically watched new releases on shifts. That wss the pinnacle of a care-free life, get paid to watch movies and then take home free movies each night too?!

Caporegime
It's not 80s or Sci fi but for some reason it reminds me of a great film from that era, No country for old men.

I think that film was termed a 'drama' but it's really a horror movie. The book is even more bleak; it's brilliant, certainly, but you don't turn the last page feeling remotely good about anything.

e: hmm, seems it was not a drama, after all

Last edited:
Commissario
Saturn 3 (1980) was from memory pretty good in it's way (an inspector and his robot go to visit a space station and things start to go wrong).

Outland (1981): sort of a western set on a mining colony with Sean Connery.

Lifeforce (1985): A shuttle sent to investigate a comet brings back rather more than expected. Make sure you watch the longer version as it restores about 20-30 minutes to it and results in a lot more of the backstory being presented which improves it. From memory the Arrow blu-ray release has the longer cut as the "International" version (the shorter version is about 1:40 long).

And I'm afraid I'm going to have to move this thread to appear on a different area, so I'll park it in front of the Drive in that is Film and TV:)

Soldato
They Live. 80's John Carpenter flick

70's, but I like it: Capricorn One. Paranoid thriller about the first manned mission to Mars.

For 90's action you gotta watch Heat! Pacino and DeNiro.

There's a great site called letterboxd that users can curate any list about any theme. I literally typed in 80's action and this is what I got

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Some great films already listed, many of them some of favourites and a few that, while great at the time, haven't aged well at all.

Was going to suggest Action Jackson but that's in the post above.

These fall more in action than sci-fi.

Double Impact (1991)
Universal Soldier (1992)
The Punisher (1989)
Over the Top (1987)
Lock Up (1989)
Tango and Cash (1989)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)
Commando (1985)
Raw Deal (1986)

Last edited:
Back