The Tesla Thread

Soldato
I'd expect all options available in the US to come here on launch so I wouldn't worry about it.

It's also $78k for the car, plus another $1k for paint, $5k for auto pilot plus tax, fees and delivery which vary state by state, so you are actually looking at around $87k-$90k for the car less $7,500 federal tax credit and any state incentives. You are not going to spend that much money on the car and not stump up for auto pilot or keep the standard paint.

Looks decent though, now they just need to unlock the cheap one!

Caporegime
Got an update this morning on Model 3 Timelines.

https://electrek.co/2018/05/20/tesla-model-3-delivery-timelines-new-orders-production/

Currently in the US if you order the Long range model you're looking at a 4-6 month wait now if ordering today. That is awesome.

Checking Teslas website the production timeline has been updated as well.

Reserve your Model 3 today for delivery in:

4-6 months
Long Range Battery
Rear-Wheel Drive

6-9 months
Long Range Battery
All-Wheel Drive

Performance

6-12 months
Standard Battery

Production Timeline

Production begins in the US, with the Long Range Battery

Customer deliveries begin

All-Wheel Drive production begins

Production of the Standard Battery begins

International deliveries of left-hand drive vehicles begin this year

Production of right-hand drive vehicles begins

I am getting excited :) - I am planning to order late in the year (pending a few things with work) and was hoping for a delivery early next year, looks like this could well be on track :)

Soldato
Meanwhile, in the land of ownership, an associate has just dumped his Model S into a part exchange against a relatively new Volvo XC90. Finally gave up with the shambles that is Tesla UK (well, worldwide, to be honest), in terms of customer service, support and general operation. Dogged by problems, parts supply issues, a complete lack of engagement with customers and uneducated dealers (for example, took one two months to arrange a simple service and then they couldn't diagnose one issue, which ultimately Tesla Heathrow diagnosed over the car's connection remotely a month later). Hey ho! Some way to go...

But then, on the flip side, there are those who don't experience such issues. Swings and roundabouts... :)

Caporegime
From all accounts, what I seem to see/hear is either amazing serivce, or terrible, very little middle ground it seems.

I've met a few owners in Portugal, all seem happy so far. But then again its a much smaller userbase than UK.

Soldato
That’s good news if you live in the US. Looks like they are getting through the backlog of US orders now.

I imagine the lead time for a new standard battery model will still be significant as we know there is a lot of holdouts for that. I can’t imagine there will be Mandy that go for the performance model.

I also can’t really see the point in stumping up for the AWD model unless you live in Scandinavia or up a mountain. The traction control on the old RWD S is excellent and more than sufficient for where snow and ice is only around for a small part of the year. You’ll see far more benefit from a decent set of winter tyres than the AWD option.

RWD long range looks like best bang for your buck if you can afford it.

Caporegime
There are special use cases for AWD, like you mention...also...there are some who just want AWD. Even if they don't need it! My friends in Norway have a use case for it, they live in the snow most of the year! :) I know if my Dad were to buy one he'd be all over AWD, despite not actually needing it.

Caporegime
AWD is better in rain and snow, but tyres make a big difference as well.

Should also mention that the official 0-60 of the Long Range RWD Model 3 is 5.1 seconds but most drag tests I've seen put it at 4.6/4.7

So the AWD model could be closer to 4 seconds anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t disagree but in an electric car the traction control systems are so much better because of the drivetrain, that combined with the instant, direct throttle response make it far more of a want than a need especially in the UK.

Caporegime
Tesla claimed half a million pre-ordered, it's making 2500 a week. That means almost 4 years to deliver just the pre-ordered. Even if that steps up to 5000/week in June thats 2 years. How can they be taking new orders with an expected 4-6 month lead time?

Caporegime
Tesla claimed half a million pre-ordered, it's making 2500 a week. That means almost 4 years to deliver just the pre-ordered. Even if that steps up to 5000/week in June thats 2 years. How can they be taking new orders with an expected 4-6 month lead time?

Its 4-6 months on the current configuration available (long range, premium) I was also understanding they're currently more around 3000+ a week, not that with a 450k back order that has much of an effect :p

Also I understood the 4-6 month wait is on US based customers. So only considering that regional backlog. Or have I got this wrong?

Soldato
They will prioritise the higher profit cars, not everyone wants the expensive one and the take up rate isn’t 100%. A lot of those pre-orders will be outside of the USA. 4-6 months applies to USA only.

If you own an S/X (2nd hand or new) and place a new reservation you que jump and can get one in 12 weeks.

Some people have been buying a used S ordering a model 3 and flipping the S once they get the car.

The wait in the EU Could be longer as they are not going to stop producing cars for the US/Canada once EU orders open so it will take a while to clear the list.

Caporegime
An M3 in the US is 65500 so over 10k less, obviously very different cars but even a fox spec 540i wouldn't break 75k in the US fully loaded with options, this seems expensive (especially when you consider tesla aren't going be discounting at all - and why would they!)... 35k Model3 would really change the EV game, sadly for now I think it's just giving a good bit of time for others to step up.

They're pushing the higher profit model for now. Lower profit model will come later once production is streamlined. According to his Twitter.

2TrM0ke.png

Don
Short term cash situation must be pretty bad if they need to focus on prioritising the higher priced models out the door first, though it could just kick the can further down the road by bringing forward customers willing to pay more and then not necessarily replacing them with other wealthier customers further down the road.

Soldato
Not really, its just about maximizing every $ they can get out of their pre-order pool and keeping it relatively simple while they get to grips with making the thing. There are plenty of people in Europe and China willing to pony up for the expensive version so I really don't think they have anything to worry about.

If another company had 500k pre-orders for their car what do you think they would do?

Soldato

You're comparing global pre-orders to NA lead times.

Presumably Tesla must be close to fulfilling the NA pre-orders for that configuration now, causing the drop in lead time to 4-6 months.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You're comparing global pre-orders to NA lead times.

Presumably the NA pre-orders for that configuration have pretty much been fulfilled now, causing the drop in lead time.

Since NA is the biggest Tesla market, this seems questionable but, in any case, taking new orders when you're so far from fulfilling existing ones seems poor form at the very least. Teslas for international orders will also be built in the US, after all.

Caporegime
I am actually glad there is a wait until it hits Europe. NA has very much been a beta test for this car. Both in quality control, and software as well. Car should be much better by the time it hits Europe and even more so when RHD starts appearing :)

Back
Top Bottom