Tesla Model Y

Soldato
I think he meant you might get one things or two that are better on other cars, but as a whole package the Model Y wins out, in his opinion. At least that is how I read it. :)

That's how I read it as well, so not sure why the confusion? Just pointing out the logical contradiction in his statement.

You are also aware that your own logical fallacy in comparing Model 3 sales to I-Pace sales as some sort of "proof" that Tesla Model Y is better than an I-Pace, is apples vs oranges?

Car sales are not proof that vehicle A is better than vehicle B. Or will we show that Ford Transit van sales were higher than Model 3 as proof the Ford Mustang Mach-E is better than the Model Y?

Last edited:
Soldato
You are also aware that your own logical fallacy in comparing Model 3 sales to I-Pace sales as some sort of "proof" that Tesla Model Y is better than an I-Pace, is apples vs oranges?

Didn't say that, I was surprised that it wasn't in the to 10 BEV's and stated that sum total of all Jaguars sold was only approximately 50% of the Model 3, which again was surprising. Please show me where I compared it to the Model Y?

Soldato
Excellent choice, which spec, the S does atleast have nice 19" wheels rather than the launch cars 18" multi spokes.

I noticed that the iPace wasn't even in the top 10 BEV's sold in 2021 in the UK, but they I also noticed Jaaag had only sold 18k cars in the UK in total for 2021, the Model 3 alone sold nearly double that, pretty crazy really all things conisdered.

indeed, crazy that some manufacturers actually has to adhere to Covid rules...

Good luck getting 180 miles in winter. The i-pace is a great car no doubt, but the range is pretty lean to say the least.

Piece of cake for a journey, it wont do a stack of cold starts though as battery mass for consistant performance takes a lot of energy to warm and also provide the driver the confidence of having solid performance at a range of SoC rather than just thrashing the cells to the most you get like some other EV's might.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just received the following text:

Tesla Update: Next steps for your Model Y order. Customers can now sign in to Tesla Account and complete pre-delivery tasks. First Model Y deliveries begin in February 2022.

Soldato
Excellent choice, which spec, the S does atleast have nice 19" wheels rather than the launch cars 18" multi spokes.

indeed, crazy that some manufacturers actually has to adhere to Covid rules...

Piece of cake for a journey, it wont do a stack of cold starts though as battery mass for consistant performance takes a lot of energy to warm and also provide the driver the confidence of having solid performance at a range of SoC rather than just thrashing the cells to the most you get like some other EV's might.

I think I remeber telling you I liked the I-Pace but it was always much more expensive to lease? The irony was that I was always pricing up the SE model as it was the lowest spec I on the NHS Fleet web site. For a laugh I priced an Ev400 HSE Black Edition in Eiger grey suspecting it would be even more expensive, and it worked out cheaper than the lower spec model. I can only assume this is to do with expected risiduals.

In the end I opted for a Ev 400 HSE Black editions in metallic grey which looks really nice with the 20" gloss black alloys and black trim.

I have an E-Tron 50 which is just a horribly inefficient as the I-Pace and I get ~140 winter miles with real journeys (not the shops and back once a day). So an I-Pace with a 25% and marginally better efficiency should get 180 by my calculations and driving profile.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an E-Tron 50 which is just a horribly inefficient as the I-Pace and I get ~140 winter miles with real journeys

Damn, you are doing better than me then mate. In the cold weather mine says 99 miles range on a full charge.....although that was a paticularly cold week I must admit. In reality, I probably did get about 99 miles in it so at least it was accurate :D

Think the best I've ever got in summer, driving like miss Daisy in eco mode (65 on motorway) was about 170 miles.

I'm just thankful that I only pay £250 a month for it, and it goes back in September. Not that I would have ever bought one outright, but if I had, I'd be spitting feathers. To be honest, it's a car I like (not love) and hate at the same time.

Associate
Just received the following text:

Tesla Update: Next steps for your Model Y order. Customers can now sign in to Tesla Account and complete pre-delivery tasks. First Model Y deliveries begin in February 2022.

My wife already wants to test drive one as soon as they get a demo into either Cardiff or Bristol. Be interesting to see how these are compared to the Model 3.

Soldato
Damn, you are doing better than me then mate. In the cold weather mine says 99 miles range on a full charge.....although that was a paticularly cold week I must admit. In reality, I probably did get about 99 miles in it so at least it was accurate :D

Think the best I've ever got in summer, driving like miss Daisy in eco mode (65 on motorway) was about 170 miles.

I'm just thankful that I only pay £250 a month for it, and it goes back in September. Not that I would have ever bought one outright, but if I had, I'd be spitting feathers. To be honest, it's a car I like (not love) and hate at the same time.

I know what you mean. I love the E-Tron 50 for its refinement and comfort but hate the fact it is so big and heavy. When I quote my range experiences I always quote for a single trip doing mix of roads but mostly motorway. I find that a far more realistic measurement than the 2 mile winter morning trips once or twice a day to the shops with no preheat. Well then I would be getting about 80 miles of range. :)

Once I go an a real drive, even without preheat then 135 - 140 real range is achievable.

Soldato
No offence but you need to start looking at the data better, not just copy pasta and hope for the best.

I'll reply -
yes, of course their are flaws as you mention, also the quarterly delivery of teslas, variety of id4 models, fewer superchargers in norway,
but if cars are popular that generally means other see value in them,
as 2nd hand propsitions too - it's like if I buy something on ebay I look to see what others have bought and why they may have made that decision.
yes if it's not a commodity, like a ferarri say, other rules might apply.

e: watched a bmw i4 40 review £50k , and since they are a full hatch have an intermediate capability between M3 and My https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5Nxez-KD8

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll reply -
yes, of course their are flaws as you mention, also the quarterly delivery of teslas, variety of id4 models, fewer superchargers in norway,
but if cars are popular that generally means other see value in them,
as 2nd hand propsitions too - it's like if I buy something on ebay I look to see what others have bought and why they may have made that decision.
yes if it's not a commodity, like a ferarri say, other rules might apply.

e: watched a bmw i4 40 review £50k , and since they are a full hatch have an intermediate capability between M3 and My https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5Nxez-KD8

Sort of, the i4 actually starts at just over £52k and you'll need to add some options to that too, for example the base car doesn't have full leather seats. The i4 is probably a nicer car than the Model 3 and that is reflected in its price.

Having said that, in Norway the non-Tesla charge network is very good and well maintained. Loads of 150kw+ chargers virtually everywhere these days and you really need to get out towards the artic circle in the north of the country before you are down to 50kw chargers. They have even started stripping out petrol pumps and replacing them with chargers on the traditional forecourts.

Soldato
Sort of, the i4 actually starts at just over £52k and you'll need to add some options to that too, for example the base car doesn't have full leather seats. The i4 is probably a nicer car than the Model 3 and that is reflected in its price.
german site I look at had suggested bmw are offering reductions 10% - to make inroads against tesla ? ... they still have conventional dealerships.

Soldato
If you order one now in the U.K., you’ll be waiting a long time for it. Im not sure why they’d offer a substantial discount when they can sell every one they build.

They don’t need to make inroads against Tesla, that’s silly ‘Tesla Killer’ nonsense discussion. They just need to make a good product and actually build enough of them to satisfy their natural demand. Only reason people are moving away from BMW is because they can’t actually supply the cars their customers want.

Back
Top Bottom