Tesla Model Y

Soldato
Caporegime
Taken from another forum, the first UK RHD Model Y’s ready for booked test drives starting today. That blue is stunning!!

d77c9e5c-ab98-4162-9ef1-d2b69bc4cae8-jpeg.753377

3dad8f2e-57a9-4a0d-9dd1-009e8e2c4fc4-jpeg.753376

e4da01bf-2532-47ab-8918-8d9e4a0df7eb-jpeg.753382

3273cbdd-37a7-4078-ae43-9e7544e6f9c2-jpeg.753379

d77c9e5c-ab98-4162-9ef1-d2b69bc4cae8-jpeg.753377

6db6f896-38c5-41e7-bd09-1cac56e5f397-jpeg.753375

fugly.

Soldato
It's not a bad looking car in white. My main issues with it, is that it's around £5k more expensive and has the worst range of any Tesla (other than the 3 SR, but I think even that would give it a run for it's money)

cz1S3gv.jpg

Soldato
When cars like the AWD ID.4 cost over £50k now, I don’t think it’s priced badly for the package. The Mach-E is now nigh on £60k for the long range AWD version.

In reality they could all do with coming down in price but I can’t see it happening and time soon. They seem to be going up in price as I don’t remember these two cars costing that much before.

Soldato
When cars like the AWD ID.4 cost over £50k now, I don’t think it’s priced badly for the package. The Mach-E is now nigh on £60k for the long range AWD version.

In reality they could all do with coming down in price but I can’t see it happening and time soon. They seem to be going up in price as I don’t remember these two cars costing that much before.

All cars new or used have gone up in price.

It should be remembered that your comparison only works if someone has a budget that the Model Y falls into. The Model Y starts at ~£55k and for ~£14k less you can get the lower spec RWD bigger battery versions of the ID.4, Enyaq, Ioniq 5 or EV6 (as examples). The fact they are less powerful and not AWD means nothing to the average person in the market for a practical electric SUV with ~250 miles of range.

None of these cars are in the same price bracket as the Model Y, unless you go nuts on the options.

Soldato
Forget the ID.4. Q4 etron starts at £42,500 if we start talking brand power. Loads of options and variants available to go mid £65k of course but I think this is actually what the general public want / are used to.

Y will be interesting, it’s priced to be premium / performance but then doesn’t give the usual configuration experience. For some that will be refreshing. Price may well exclude it from many company car schemes where model 3 is making huge volume of registrations.

Soldato
Forget the ID.4. Q4 etron starts at £42,500 if we start talking brand power. Loads of options and variants available to go mid £65k of course but I think this is actually what the general public want / are used to.

Y will be interesting, it’s priced to be premium / performance but then doesn’t give the usual configuration experience. For some that will be refreshing. Price may well exclude it from many company car schemes where model 3 is making huge volume of registrations.

Lol, when I was looking at options on the NHS Fleet Solutions web-site the Model Y was so simple to chose. Pick a colour, pick a wheel style, do you want the extra autopilot options. The I-Pace was utter confusions by comparison.

Long gone are the days where EV choice was either Tesla with dodgy quality issues, boring Nissan Leaf, or a weird BMW thing.

Soldato
And I was referring to the part of your post about less confusing configuration options with the Model Y. Which is true regardless of how you buy it.

Soldato
Yeah, I did think it was a bit of a misnomer when I read it. I also don't get the idea that anyone who drives and EV would automatically not want leather as an option (EV 6).

Soldato
I also don't get the idea that anyone who drives and EV would automatically not want leather as an option (EV 6).
maybe - new vegan options like vw/polestar, if they're like alcantara, are a lot more cosseting&warm to touch; plus many of the leathers, like BMW basic are split hide with a polymer coating, so not like full cow/aniline lifetime/sofa at home experience - leather steering wheels excepeted.

Soldato
maybe - new vegan options like vw/polestar, if they're like alcantara, are a lot more cosseting&warm to touch; plus many of the leathers, like BMW basic are split hide with a polymer coating, so not like full cow/aniline lifetime/sofa at home experience - leather steering wheels excepeted.

Nowhere did I attack vegan options, just the fact that some auto makers give us ONLY vegan options because EV. Some people want leather as an option because it is easier to wipe clean when you have small children, or have any other type of spill. Suede and textile are very VERY easy to stain and very hard to clean.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
you'd assume they had now addressed those traditional vegan concerns - ironically/topically maybe not V
I'm expecting some vegans to have a smooth/non-fibrous surface

21Dec21 https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/teslas-vegan-leather-not-fit-for-purpose-say-drivers-7q7jzqwvj

The seats are pretty robust tbh, my kids spill stuff on them regularly and the dog does it's best to destroy them with it's sharp nails. I've always been impressed that all they ever need is a vacuum and wipe over.

The media really does print some amount of sh*** when it comes to Tesla. Could you see them printing stuff like this if a BMW has something wrong with it's seats? I highly doubt it.

Soldato
The seats are pretty robust tbh, my kids spill stuff on them regularly and the dog does it's best to destroy them with it's sharp nails. I've always been impressed that all they ever need is a vacuum and wipe over.

The media really does print some amount of sh*** when it comes to Tesla. Could you see them printing stuff like this if a BMW has something wrong with it's seats? I highly doubt it.

A lot of folk complained about the Artico 'leather' in Mercedes, but in both cars I had I found it to be Ok, yeah doesn't have the leather smell, and heat retention was less (or that is how it seemed) and it served its purpose. I actually prefer a really nice quality cloth interior as you get get the comfort, warmth, and assuming you aren't a totally lazy git can be cleaned and brought back to new in a really old car, where as leather that hasn't been incredibly well treated will crack and tear and basically look crap.

Last edited:
Soldato
We’ve just ordered a model Y. Our 10 year old polo is now longer enough for two kids. I expect it will be quite the upgrade but just a long wait now I guess. Is the Tesla home charger any better or worse than others?

Back
Top Bottom