Tesla Model Y

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You are letting emotion get in the way of what actually happens - Bristol has a dedicated area to charge the cars for handover as it’s, like, not a dock. The fact they are on a ship for weeks is why they arnt fully charged intentionally to help reduce long term calender aging. I’ve read multiple things where people are disappointed by how full the battery isn’t.

I don’t need to expect anything, I know how cars are shipped with 12V disconnected and no parasitic load. You’ll be surprise when the cars shipped with 60% SoC turn up at dealers with 60% battery… amazing huh.

Seems the pedestrian warning is lacking even that Richard Symonds aswell as his mate Serge nearly got hit. But then I actually watched the video.

Just all a bit of a yanky doodle “exciting event” conned people to collect a car on my view. Zero clarity of what it was which amounted to a similar experience of a budget airline boarding and having to walk to the bus to get on the plane. Again my opinion so please don’t spend anymore effort trying to “correct” me.
My entire point was exactly that: it’s a dock, what more can you expect?

Every Tesla leaves the factory with 90% charge. Should they disconnect the 12v system before shipping? Absolutely, but then have you seen how much work that would be for what is essentially a “collect it the moment it lands” event.

I also watched the video… how do you know the pedestrian warning is lacking? Because a red Model Y got within 10ft of Serge. You don’t know what warning tones went off inside the cab of that vehicle, but it looked to me like the driver saw Serge anyway.

As it happens I’m not a fan of the big fanfare events but any excuse to knock someone other than JLR eh ;)

Soldato
Damn right :cry:
I’ve got reason to be “connected” unlike the majority of the Teslarati.

Most the people collecting them seem disappointed by the dock. So ask them about what they expected. Also an NMC pack will not be close to full for shipping… Interesting reading the model Y owners group, the guy who took the wrong car before the horn kept going and he realised he had to return was a particular peak; interesting insight that’s all :)

Soldato
There are multiple ways to get your grocery delivered now as well Jonny. Hopefully you aren't one of those saving the supermarkets millions by picking it up yourself from the store? :confused:

Caporegime
There are multiple ways to get your grocery delivered now as well Jonny. Hopefully you aren't one of those saving the supermarkets millions by picking it up yourself from the store? :confused:
You have to pay extra for delivery. Personally I like a good orange label hunt

Soldato
Loads do pick up- exactly just no fan fare. I see loads of customers leaving bespoke handovers at Aston Martin - I don’t think they stand in the rain though. Just this special event I was cynical of as were a few in the model 3 thread and turns out it was dog poop.

Sainsbury’s I can collect or have home delivery, Aldi you will collect and then if you are proper up market it’s pick your own strawberries isn’t it :cry: for local air pollution I prefer to drive :cool::p

It is a bit niche but hardly one to get your knickers in a twist over

Darling, in this thread it’s about Y-fronts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Tesla appears to me, like many large US corporations these days, to be almost cultish in its following. They have done a great job no question, getting their cars out there in huge volume with a fair infrastructure that left the mainstream manufacturers looking at each other.

I am not a fan of their cars at all, from a design or driving perspective and just ‘being fast’ is far from making them fun or sporting. To add most Tesla owners I know want to tell me how their car is faster than my car totally missing the point and in most cases in one or two use cases if at all. Greaeaeaeat

Having said that I still see their appeal and think electric makes a lot of sense for many users. The pick up process in the video is very meh to me, but then so are most dealer experiences, though less battery hen, based on that video and please, cut the ra ra for I am Englishman. :D

Soldato
Model Y test drive today.

Nice seating position, plenty of poke for a "bigger" car, nice internal refresh over my M3, no noticeable body roll, ride felt fine on 19", boot looks much better and more "useable"

No boot cover / parcel shelf is strange but it's very heavily tinted so unless you are up super close to it you can't see in.

All in - nothing to not like about it.

Good service from Glasgow on my M3 - Tyre rotation/new wiper blades/new filters/brake fluid check - Nice friendly staff, loads of coffee & biscuits and done whilst I waited. Approx 80 minutes from start to finish. (did test drive during this time)

Time for some maths regards currently M3/trade in/Y upgrade

Soldato
That sums up my problem with all teslas.....they are just so..............bland. Nothing to get too excited about and everything is just "functional" and works. Would still much rather have an M50 i4

Totally get it....I'm not some mad Tesla fanatic - I bought one as my lease was up on my golf gti, it's a good car, great financial package via LTD company and 0% loan from EST in Scotland. Made financial sense, more than motoring sense almost.

However after 2.5 years of M3 ownership -I'm impressed with the overall package, and like you say, there nothing NOT to like. But it's certainly not the most "engaging" of drives, but that sort of appeals as well in a strange way - it's so "easy" to drive.

Getting in any other ICE car and I'm horrified at the amount of buttons/switches etc :D:D

Associate
That sums up my problem with all teslas.....they are just so..............bland. Nothing to get too excited about and everything is just "functional" and works. Would still much rather have an M50 i4

As an overall package the Model 3 LR is very good and I like mine, but 'just functional and works' is a stretch to be honest. Auto wipers are rubbish, auto high beam rubbish, UI isn't optimised for right hand drive cars at all, Spotify doesn't refresh playlists, autopilot occasionally poos itself and phantom brakes...

If I could take the car's blend of performance and economy, use of the Tesla supercharging network and put that into a modern BMW with iDrive 7 or 8 for a similar price then I'd change it.

Associate
I'd love a Model Y. It looks very spacious and practical (my favourite thing in a car now!). Worried a little about the "harsh ride' that has been reported, but then many reviews state things as fact when they aren't really an issue. Wife's ID3 is great and my Sorento PHEV (need 7 sets as a must) is fab on EV only, so next care will be full ev as well but probably won't need 7 seats by then. Quite exciting pick up procedure at the dock.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My wife and I test drove the model Y today. I've already got a model 3 and the suspension in the Y is much more forgiving than the 3.

If you're worried about the harsh ride, I wouldn't be put off at least test driving one. She went the wrong way (women!) and ended up going down a very badly tarmaced road which the Y coped with well. I'd have been grimacing in the model 3, put it that way. Lovely vehicle just made my model 3 look like a toy :D... the lack of a parcel shelf is a non-event in my opinion. With the boot closed you can't really see inside and with the boot open you're happy that there's one less thing to remove (if loading a large item like a road bike etc).

The one thing I wasn't so impressed with... is the poor excuse for a floor of the boot. It's in two pieces in the Y and it feels a bit like a jigsaw puzzle in the way they sit flush / come loose.

I'm 6ft1 and it was spacious in the back seats, with the drivers seat in my position. For passengers I'd definitely recommend reclining the seats, because the default angle is a bit too harsh.

Soldato
My wife and I test drove the model Y today. I've already got a model 3 and the suspension in the Y is much more forgiving than the 3.

If you're worried about the harsh ride, I wouldn't be put off at least test driving one. She went the wrong way (women!) and ended up going down a very badly tarmaced road which the Y coped with well. I'd have been grimacing in the model 3, put it that way. Lovely vehicle... the lack of a parcel shelf is a non-event in my opinion. With the boot closed you can't really see inside and with the boot open you're happy that there's one less thing to remove (if loading a large item like a road bike etc).

The one thing I wasn't so impressed with... is the poor excuse for a floor. It's in two pieces in the Y and it felt a bit like a jigsaw puzzle in the way they sat flush.

Good to hear :) Was it on 19" or 20" wheels? Hopefully the tyre pressures were set correctly as the vehicles that have been delivered recently have all been over-inflated.

20 more sleeps for me...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Good to hear :) Was it on 19" or 20" wheels? Hopefully the tyre pressures were set correctly as the vehicles that have been delivered recently have all been over-inflated.

20 more sleeps for me...
19"... it had the silver aero covers on an alloy wheel. I didn't check the tyre pressures to be honest, but I doubt it would make that much difference.. it was 5c when we got in the car, so take 1 or 2 psi off the quoted figure.

An old couple were readying themselves to jump straight in, as we got back to the SC. I did the right thing and activated the emissions testing mode for the passenger seat :cry:

Soldato
I've already got a model 3 and the suspension in the Y is much more forgiving than the 3.
isn't the refence ev id4/id3 with dcc , or i4e40 - can you get a Y test drive on familiar roads though, to avoid buying in haste,
everyone knows the potholes that count on their regular route.
Autogefeul guy was excoriating about Y suspension not seen that before -watched another de youtube too, some cognitive dissonance in comments.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

isn't the refence ev id4/id3 with dcc , or i4e40 - can you get a Y test drive on familiar roads though, to avoid buying in haste,
Autogefeul guy was excoriating about Y suspension not seen that before -watched another de youtube too, some cognitive dissonance in comments.
1) I don't have any of those other cars but I do have a model 3, hence my comparison
2) The service centre (and test drive) are 37 miles away from home... so none of the roads are my "regular route"
3) I don't care what some youtuber has to say... hence why I told my wife to test drive it before buying
4) Work on formatting your answers because that was incoherent :o

Soldato

read this 3 times and still have no idea what you are trying to say.

Similar to @EVH - my test drive around Glasgow was motorway/A roads and lot of city centre driving, Model Y on 19" was no different to my M3 in terms of ride quality etc - nothing I noticed.

Hit plenty of potholes/rough bits and couldn't say in any way that it would put me off

Back
Top Bottom