Tests booked.....Any advice?

Soldato
Right then, Got my Mod 1 and Mod 2 booked now... (Wed 4th and Sat 14th respectively)

Anyone got any advice on what I am likely to come up against or things that might catch me out on either of these?

Soldato
Never panic, simply get on with your mistake, adapt to it and get on with it.

I was told by a mate of mine who instructs that they will shout at you on purpose "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" simply to put more pressure on you to see how you take it. So if you feel as though you are making their life hell. You are not, they are actually trying to make you a better rider!

U turn buggered me up, mind you, I took my test a while back now and it's all changed.

Soldato
Good luck!

With MOD 1, the thing that caught me out was the 30mph controlled swerve, I was just under speed on the first attempt, but did it well on the 2nd attempt.

Soldato
Mod 1 is the toughest and even that isn't TBH, just the U Turn, one foot down and you're toast. Plus, don't forget, technically it's THREE U Turns as you have to get ready for hazard avoidance and the emergency stop... they WILL fail you for touching ground on any of the three. however you don't have to do the 2nd and 3rd turns in the white lines, you have loads of room so, use it...

Mod 2, is straight forward, just always life saver, keep to the right on right hand turns, left on left hand turns so there's not enough room for other bikers to slip in... indicate and try and turn them off... can't think of anything else, just stay calm.

Soldato
OP
Independent riding...

Don't worry if you take a wrong turn just find a way to the area you were asked to head towards.

see Iv'e heard there's an independent riding part and they will ask me to go somewhere..... well the area I'm taking my test is a good 20 mile away from where I have been learning....How is that going to work?

I was told by a mate of mine who instructs that they will shout at you on purpose "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" simply to put more pressure on you to see how you take it. So if you feel as though you are making their life hell. You are not, they are actually trying to make you a better rider!

I kinda guessed that they would have just stopped the test if I was that bad lol

Mod 1 is the toughest and even that isn't TBH, just the U Turn, one foot down and you're toast. Plus, don't forget, technically it's THREE U Turns as you have to get ready for hazard avoidance and the emergency stop... they WILL fail you for touching ground on any of the three. however you don't have to do the 2nd and 3rd turns in the white lines, you have loads of room so, use it...

Mod 2, is straight forward, just always life saver, keep to the right on right hand turns, left on left hand turns so there's not enough room for other bikers to slip in... indicate and try and turn them off... can't think of anything else, just stay calm.

What so you get to take the uturns multiple times or is it a flat foot down instant fail of the entire test?

Last edited:
Associate
On my MOD1 the examiner said use as much space needed to turn around for the next run so only did the 1 u turn.

You are meant to be able to follow signs to the designated location and use the highway code to ensure your journey is safe.

In other words, you will be asked to follow the signs to 'Chipping Norton' (for example) and you just follow the signs making sure you ride the correct lanes manoeuvres etc.
Just means you don't know where you are but you want to go to place A and the only way to get to place A is follow the signs with no instructor / examiner telling you where to go.

Soldato
What so you get to take the uturns multiple times or is it a flat foot down instant fail of the entire test?

No, the U Turn test is only performed once between the two white lines. However, the way the course is set, you end up back there twice for the two other runs and he asked you to turn around in the same area. However, you don't have to keep between the lines so you can use as much space as possible. BUT, if you put foot down it's a fail, just be aware and take your time and use as much space as possible, don't try to be a smart ass, or you could fail! :)

Associate
20 hours riding and you should pass with flying colours!

Do you drive a car?

I did 10 hours lessons then DAS which was around another 10 hours and flew through my tests and thats with no road experience :)

Soldato
OP
How much previous bike experience do you have already?

Very little if any that you can call experience

20 hours riding and you should pass with flying colours!

Do you drive a car?

I did 10 hours lessons then DAS which was around another 10 hours and flew through my tests and thats with no road experience :)

been driving a car for just over 7 years with no issues and no accidents.

Soldato
OP
Well just passed my Mod 1 with 2 minors, Went through the speed trap for the swerve at 48kmph so I got a minor and a pass for it as it was within the tolerance and then got a minor for a in proper observation when doing the u turn, I didn't fully check to the right but he said I did the U turn fast enough that I wouldn't have had to check properly but it was still a minor, I thought I turned and checked but there we go. Mod 2 a week on sat :)

Soldato
Nice one! I've heard that MOD 2 is easier than MOD 1 (even though I only had 1 minor on MOD 1 and failed MOD 2 with 2 "majors"...)

My apparent failure for my first attempt of MOD 2 was due to "Positioning" and "Steering", which I put down to the fact of the one-way comms being so ******* useless unless your within 10meters I couldn't hear his directions hence not knowing which way to go at a junction.. I even pulled over to tell him about it but he just said turn around and make your way back to the test center..
/rant over

TL;DR - If your one-way comms are ****, then let the instructor know immediately.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that Rossi lol

Yeah The comms I've had with my instructor have been good so far so if they are **** with the instructor ill be sure to just pull over and tell them immediately, not failing due to that...a tad nervous about the independent ride though

Soldato
OP
Just had my Mod 2 and passed :) 2 Minors... both on the way back to the centre, 1 for following a car off a round about at about 1.5 seconds instead of 4 (it was wettish conditions) and 1 for doing 32 in a 60 after a round about. If there was any traffic Id have failed for the second one :(

Back
Top Bottom