*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 reps seems to be a sweet spot for me, great for speed work too. If I hit my target weight on squats for 3 reps on monday I might explode in a gymgasm.

Sorry to but in guys. Lost a fair bit of weight since November (7 stone) and am now looking at getting back in to the gym. I have either virgin or la fitness close to me and was wondering what one people would recommend. looking at getting a personal trainer for a while just to get me motivated and show me the right way to do things. Not sure what gyms are good and bad.

Sorry to but in guys. Lost a fair bit of weight since November (7 stone) and am now looking at getting back in to the gym. I have either virgin or la fitness close to me and was wondering what one people would recommend. looking at getting a personal trainer for a while just to get me motivated and show me the right way to do things. Not sure what gyms are good and bad.

Go take a look at both, see what they offer, when they are open, how much they cost. Make sure they have what you want and need, not just for now but in 6-12 months time too.

Go take a look at both, see what they offer, when they are open, how much they cost. Make sure they have what you want and need, not just for now but in 6-12 months time too.

Along with this, also try each of them. Go for a day session at each.

This way you can usually find which one suits you. Like Morba says though, think ahead.

Nothing worse then getting stuck on a certain weight only because they don't have any more for you. Haha

Does anyone have any experience with fat burners/fatloss supplementation?

I don't have a problem dropping weight initially using a simple calorie deficit, but when it comes to getting mega lean for the abs to show - that's when it gets tough.

Merely placebo?

It probably sounds like I am just another newbie looking for magic pillls to avoid hardwork. That is not the case, I know I can get very low bodyfat simply by eating less and adding cardio to my regime - but if these can additionally enhance my look, lower bf % with no significant adverse effects then I could be interested.

Does anyone have any experience with fat burners/fatloss supplementation?

I don't have a problem dropping weight initially using a simple calorie deficit, but when it comes to getting mega lean for the abs to show - that's when it gets tough.

Merely placebo?

It probably sounds like I am just another newbie looking for magic pillls to avoid hardwork. That is not the case, I know I can get very low bodyfat simply by eating less and adding cardio to my regime - but if these can additionally enhance my look, lower bf % with no significant adverse effects then I could be interested.

Nothing legal is going to be worth buying, but things like Ephs/clens would help you out if used properly. There are other things available also like T3, dnp etc. (dnp is pretty hardcore though, so wouldnt bother with that)

Just had a good Biceps & Back Workout today. Weights weren't overly high, but my form & technique was spot on and I kept my reps within a fairly good range.

Deadlift - 5 sets; 11 reps @ 40kg, 10 reps @ 60kg, 8 reps @ 70kg, 8 reps @ 80kg, 8 reps @ 95kg.

Bent Over rows; 8 reps @ 60kg, 8 reps @ 60kg, 8 reps @ 50kg.

Preacher Curls; 3 sets of 8 reps @ 25kg.

Dumb-bell Curls; 8 reps @ 16kg, 8 reps @ 14kg, 8 reps @ 12kg.

Lat Pull down; 8 reps @ 33kg, 8 reps @ 40kg, 8 reps @ 54kg.

Pull-ups narrow; 8/7/5

Pull-ups wide; 6/4/3

Pull ups were my biggest disappointment, but my biceps and back were very pumped and pretty damn tired by the time I got to my Pull ups!

At times I struggled to get my 8, hence the drop in weight, but I thought it's better to get my 8 than to reduce my reps.

I might do pull-ups with an assist next time, so I can do my 8x3s on them.

Edit: Also I thought I should add, I currently weigh 76kg so I seem to have lost some weight...best eat more!

Last edited:
Still much to learn, grasshopper! ;)

It's generally best to tend towards doing harder exercises first. In the case of your workout:

deads
pullups
BOR
lat pull down
bicep stuff

Unless you're specifically pre-exhausting a muscle, don't do isolation exercises before compounds. In the case of biceps with back, I don't think I would ever pre-exhaust my biceps because you're just making the weakest link in the chain weaker.

Still much to learn, grasshopper! ;)

It's generally best to tend towards doing harder exercises first. In the case of your workout:

deads
pullups
BOR
lat pull down
bicep stuff

Unless you're specifically pre-exhausting a muscle, don't do isolation exercises before compounds. In the case of biceps with back, I don't think I would ever pre-exhaust my biceps because you're just making the weakest link in the chain weaker.

I agree 100%!

I've tried doing deadlifts last just to see what it would be like, it's a mess. You're so weak by then.

In my efforts to enter the 400 club by the end of May I tried upping my squat today which resulted in that oh so embarrassing 'stuck with your arse on the ground as you realise you're not getting up and have to rest on the catchers'. Drawing positives, it's the first time I've had to do that and knowing that you can safely get out of the situation will probably result in more confident lifting in the future.

Game on!

In my efforts to enter the 400 club by the end of May I tried upping my squat today which resulted in that oh so embarrassing 'stuck with your arse on the ground as you realise you're not getting up and have to rest on the catchers'. Drawing positives, it's the first time I've had to do that and knowing that you can safely get out of the situation will probably result in more confident lifting in the future.

Game on!

I squat without catches, not got myself into that situation yet and not really sure what I would do either :o

I have 4x 2.5k and 2x5kg + 2 sets of dumbell bars at home at the moment, I want to start doing proper Squats and Deadlifts, could anyone recommend a place where I can find a cheap bar for this and if I already got 20kgs how much should I get, should I buy 30kg more? How big should the bar be? 7ft ?

Thanks

I have 4x 2.5k and 2x5kg + 2 sets of dumbell bars at home at the moment, I want to start doing proper Squats and Deadlifts, could anyone recommend a place where I can find a cheap bar for this and if I already got 20kgs how much should I get, should I buy 30kg more? How big should the bar be? 7ft ?

Thanks

You'd probably want something like this - http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...7_olympic_bar_320kg___700lb_rated/3202_p.html

....but you're going to olympic weights to put on it, and I'd say you'd need to get at least another 100kg of plates even to start with - you'll be hitting those kind of numbers quite quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom