*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi all,

I hope this is the right thread to post in.

I'm attempting to get into interval training on the stationary bike in the work gym during my lunch break. I would do it on my bike but I can't find any good routes yet.

Can anyone suggest a interval training routine? I have pretty good fitness, just want to build stamina, strength, and speed. I'm looking for information on resistance level, RPM, length of interval, and rest period.

Thanks

Man of Honour
HIIT/sprints, with a little bit of steady state mixed in. Also keep protein high.

As for an actual interval training program, I don't use one. I just go balls out for an interval and then rest slightly shorter than I'd like to ;) Actual time depends on what I'm doing, sprinting would be around 15-20 seconds, rowing would be more like 30-60 seconds.

Caporegime
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/exercise_form_doesnt_matter_at_all

Thoughts?
A trusted writer after all!

*posted this in the other 'people in the gym' thread also, but thought a few more people might see it here.

form does matter, although the amount of weight and reps also matters.

put it this way, if your lifting weight, no matter how you are doing it, you are going to build muscle as long as you keep increasing the weight/reps.

form on the other hand focuses on where most of this growth will occur or even more growth than bad form.

examples:

a guy is benching 60kg with extremely bad form, will make less muscle than a guy benching 55kg with correct form on say the chest area.

a guy doing 50kg bicep curls with 20% ROM will make muscle in a specific area only, whereas a guy doing 40kg with full ROM will make it all over his arms (forearms as well as biceps, etc).

therefore it is important to follow the correct form, for example if your curling and swinging your whole body, your probably spreading where the muscles are going to grow (your back and stomach, etc) whereas if your curl and stay still, all the muscle will go on your arms.

Caporegime
that was what i said in the other thread. basically you will still grow but it is not optimal and not the safest way.

yeah you will grow no matter what because your lifting weight.

put it this way, baggage handlers in airports, builders in construction, etc will all be lifting heavy stuff on a regular basis, with probably zero form, but their arms, shoulders, etc will all grow.

that article should really be taken down, its encouraging people to not do proper form, which in my opinion is wrong.

Associate
Guys, if you are interested in smashing your calves give this workout a try!

Found it on Muscletalk and did it myself on Friday but it was probably the hardest calf workout I have done with killer doms. Anyway, it is basically as follows (there is no rest between sets):-

10 heavy reps on calf machine, each rep taking two seconds.
10 calf raises standing on the edge of a step, again each taking 2 seconds.
10 fast raises standing on the floor, bang them out as fast as you can.

Complete all of the above three times and enjoy the massive pump in your calves. Then wait in fear of the oncomming doms!!!#

Try it if you dare:p

Soldato
Enjoyed my Shoulder/Back/Bicep session today.

Standing barbell shoulder press: 1x8 30KG then 2x8 32.5KG
Lat pulldowns: 3x10...not sure on the weight as it has been scratched off!
Seated dumbell shoulder press: 1x8 12.5KG, 2x10 15KG, 1x5 17.5kg!! (Each arm)
Seated dumbell curls: 3x8 12.5KG each arm
Deadlifts: 1x5 60KG, 2x5 70KG!

I was going to do barbell rows....but forgot :o

Soldato
Guys, if you are interested in smashing your calves give this workout a try!

Found it on Muscletalk and did it myself on Friday but it was probably the hardest calf workout I have done with killer doms. Anyway, it is basically as follows (there is no rest between sets):-

10 heavy reps on calf machine, each rep taking two seconds.
10 calf raises standing on the edge of a step, again each taking 2 seconds.
10 fast raises standing on the floor, bang them out as fast as you can.

Complete all of the above three times and enjoy the massive pump in your calves. Then wait in fear of the oncomming doms!!!#

Try it if you dare:p

Or just use the stepper until your calves pump right up and explode?

Recently had to use one whilst doing an induction and I think it's going to be my source of volume for calves and glutes.

Soldato
Right i could do with some advice guys. I'm going on holiday at the end of july so im thinking about cutting for then and dont really know when/where to start. Currently 79kg at 5'11 and not exactly fat :p Top 2 abs are just about visible all the time (in the right light:D). My macros up until the weekend were around 3200cals, 220gprotein, 110gfat, 350gcarbs. Only been gaining weight slowly with that, half a kg a week or less. Being home though my diet is quite different as it goes around what my mum buys and makes for dinner so i work around that. I'm thinking of lowering cals to around 2600, keeping protein high then slowly cutting more depending on what the scales say per week. Is this the right way to go about it? Also i'll try get some recent pics up in the other thread later.

edit: i should probably just read steedies log again, but other opinions are welcome :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Right i could do with some advice guys. I'm going on holiday at the end of july so im thinking about cutting for then and dont really know when/where to start. Currently 79kg at 5'11 and not exactly fat :p Top 2 abs are just about visible all the time (in the right light:D). My macros up until the weekend were around 3200cals, 220gprotein, 110gfat, 350gcarbs. Only been gaining weight slowly with that, half a kg a week or less. Being home though my diet is quite different as it goes around what my mum buys and makes for dinner so i work around that. I'm thinking of lowering cals to around 2600, keeping protein high then slowly cutting more depending on what the scales say per week. Is this the right way to go about it? Also i'll try get some recent pics up in the other thread later.

edit: i should probably just read steedies log again, but other opinions are welcome :)

Don't drop your cals to fast 200cals per day for the first week then 200cals per day for the second week and so on until you hit 2600, drop your carbs to 200grams. include HITT type work out.

Watch fat melt off.

Soldato
Cool stuff. Well my gym is a good 15 minute cycle each way so im not planning on doing much extra cardio. I'll see how it goes, especially if the weather stays hot its a horrible return trip :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom