*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
this is something i never understand with people in gym's, but when did it become important NOT to sweat or seem out of breath.

every time i go in i get in do what i need to do and bust a gut doing it, hence i take a towel as i end up leaving a pool of sweat everywhere.

those guy's wont be there in 3 months time ;)

but a new batch will have replaced them :(

Associate
depends on what your trying to achieve.

strength = low reps high weight (not going to failure)

muscle mass = high reps slightly lower weight (going to failure once per exercise)

also the more amino acids you eat/take apparently the less pain (DOMS) you feel, also the more regularly you train the less DOMS you feel.

pain can be a sign of over training, so long as you follow the above and aren't doing a crazy number of sets to failure, you should be fine. you want to damage the muscle enough that the body repairs it stronger, but you don't want to be killing the muscle so to speak.

Well I pretty much do 8 x 3 for all the exercises. I'm aiming to put on lean muscle and get bigger in overall size. I weigh 140lbs right now and I'm 5'7, I would like to put on 10lbs of lean muscle while losing the fat around my belly. Any idea how long this would take? I go to the gym 3 times a week, eat a healthy diet and do about 30 minutes of cardio everytime I go.

Granted, this is my second week at the gym and actually the first week I've followed a proper routine (last week I was just doing random machines and trying to get a feel/learn how to do each machine/different excercises).

I have never been to the gym before so it was the first time I've trained my shoulders/back/chest/legs properly so I guess that's why they're so sore!

I'm not going back till Monday, I'll start my 3 day routine again (which I got from the bodybuilding sticky).

You said that to put on muscle mass I need to do high reps with slightly lower weight? I've always thought to put on muscle mass/lean muscle you need to do low reps with high reps?

Caporegime
Well I pretty much do 8 x 3 for all the exercises. I'm aiming to put on lean muscle and get bigger in overall size. I weigh 140lbs right now and I'm 5'7, I would like to put on 10lbs of lean muscle while losing the fat around my belly. Any idea how long this would take? I go to the gym 3 times a week, eat a healthy diet and do about 30 minutes of cardio everytime I go.

Granted, this is my second week at the gym and actually the first week I've followed a proper routine (last week I was just doing random machines and trying to get a feel/learn how to do each machine/different excercises).

I have never been to the gym before so it was the first time I've trained my shoulders/back/chest/legs properly so I guess that's why they're so sore!

I'm not going back till Monday, I'll start my 3 day routine again (which I got from the bodybuilding sticky).

You said that to put on muscle mass I need to do high reps with slightly lower weight? I've always thought to put on muscle mass/lean muscle you need to do low reps with high reps?

your quite small at 5'7, it's harder for small people to lose weight than taller people but easier for them to lift heavier weights than taller people (less distance involved in lifting).

i like to work with kg's, 10lbs is roughly 4kg or something, that would take you probably a year to stack on muscle wise, like 1lb per month, you may get newbie gains, which when you start it's a lot easier to put on muscle but the more muscle you put on it effectively get's harder to put on additional muscle.

much like the opposite of fat loss, the initial lb's seem to fly off then as you try and drop more it get's harder and harder.

tbh if i was you, i would do stronglifts 5 x 5 for 6 months, you should gain a lot of strength, lose a lot of fat and gain little muscle. then switch to isolated stuff for 6 months. then look back in a years time when your more educated about your body.

Associate
your quite small at 5'7, it's harder for small people to lose weight than taller people but easier for them to lift heavier weights than taller people (less distance involved in lifting).

i like to work with kg's, 10lbs is roughly 4kg or something, that would take you probably a year to stack on muscle wise, like 1lb per month, you may get newbie gains, which when you start it's a lot easier to put on muscle but the more muscle you put on it effectively get's harder to put on additional muscle.

much like the opposite of fat loss, the initial lb's seem to fly off then as you try and drop more it get's harder and harder.

tbh if i was you, i would do stronglifts 5 x 5 for 6 months, you should gain a lot of strength, lose a lot of fat and gain little muscle. then switch to isolated stuff for 6 months. then look back in a years time when your more educated about your body.

Cheers for the reply!

Yeah I'm not that tall but I'm quite broad, although I do have a bit of a belly which I honestly cannot wait to get rid of!

To be honest 10lbs was a rough estimate, I probably won't need that much muscle. I just want to have a good physique, I don't want to be HUGE or anything, I think I want a boxers physique, lean muscle if you get what I mean with low bodyfat, but I don't want to be completely ripped (I think having a bit of bodyfat is good).

I did stumble across the http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ website. But to be honest I thought it was a hyped up workout to fool me into buying some article haha.

I've just read the information about it and it seems too good to be true..

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A

Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B

Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

By doing those workouts 3 times a week for at least 6 months, I can increase my strength and lose bodyfat?

Is this all a gimmick or is this workout routine actually good? :confused:

Caporegime
Cheers for the reply!

Yeah I'm not that tall but I'm quite broad, although I do have a bit of a belly which I honestly cannot wait to get rid of!

To be honest 10lbs was a rough estimate, I probably won't need that much muscle. I just want to have a good physique, I don't want to be HUGE or anything, I think I want a boxers physique, lean muscle if you get what I mean with low bodyfat, but I don't want to be completely ripped (I think having a bit of bodyfat is good).

I did stumble across the http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ website. But to be honest I thought it was a hyped up workout to fool me into buying some article haha.

I've just read the information about it and it seems too good to be true..

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A

Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B

Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

By doing those workouts 3 times a week for at least 6 months, I can increase my strength and lose bodyfat?

Is this all a gimmick or is this workout routine actually good? :confused:

yeah you alternate workouts and only do 3 a week, so ABA = week 1 and BAB = week 2.

every 6 weeks take 1 whole week off.

remember though form is key, try and get perfect form, i mean 100% perfect, i was doing squat's slightly incorrect and ive had muscle wastage and knee problems but its all back on track now because im now doing 100% correct form, or at least i think i am.

theres quite a famous member on here which has used the program for 2 years, darkshadow, he is in the stronglifts book or whatever it is pdf file.

dont read too much into all the stuff he talks about on a daily basis, he waffles a lot and some broscience, just do the workout, in 6 months you will thanking me, its that good for losing fat and gaining strength, best beginner routine out there.

after 6 months though i would switch to isolated stuff to increase your muscle mass. but you want to do this routine first to shred fat and gain strength, the strength will help you to gain muscle faster and after shredding fat you will feel 100 times better.

it should take 3 months before you start getting compliments and in 6 months you should look completely different, it takes time, most people dont do it for long enough which is the main problem. you know the type, new years resolution is get fitter, join gym and go for 1 month, see no results and start drinking and binge eating. the amount of time it takes to gain muscle and lose fat is annoying but that's what separates the men from the boys.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
those guy's wont be there in 3 months time ;)

but a new batch will have replaced them :(

tell me about it, not been in the gym for 12 weeks or so and its still the same guys there chatting and lifting shockingly light weights to say they'v been at it for months.

now if i can just get some good sessions in the next two weeks before i have a few days mia in a drunken haze il be happy. :D

Caporegime
You should have just agreed instead of questioning, then we would have an excuse :p

he's on my ignore list anyway i just see a blank post with this message is blank because this person is on your ignore list

I'd like to know as well.
I'm 5'8 and I've no problem losing fat when I want to.

woah hold on here, i said its easier for taller people, i never said impossible for smaller people.

now follow me to here

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/caloriecalculator.htm

gender = male
weight= 150kg
age = 25
activity level = desk job with little exercise
goal = lose fat with 10% calorie reduction
meals = 3 per day

now we are going to play with the height field

height = 60 inches

Daily calories based on goal in step 6 = 2930

height = 84 inches

Daily calories based on goal in step 6 = 3259

what's that? the taller person can eat 300 calories more per day than the smaller person and still lose weight.

Associate
Because tall people are sexier and generally more awesome. Period.

Ooooh, lucky I'm 6"5 then ;)

Edit: In all seriousness, surely hunger is satiated at a relative point to height?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom